Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Convertible top patch?

Old 04-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top patch?

Someone in this forum mentioned a patch for and S2K convertible top. I've got two tears, one on each side, in essential the same place where the top folds and the hinge hits the material. I'm trying black duct tape but it's shifting and moving as the top moves back. One tear is getting pretty large. Does anyone have patch material and a method of securing it?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Touge_S2k
Try Gore-Tex fabric! It's designed for patching camping tents. It's a peel and stick option that is strong and flexible. You can use an iron on low heat to help it stick even better. You can find this stuff at sporting good stores.

The other option is to get your hands on some top material, stick it on with some silicone sealer, and sew it on. I have some extra material if you need it.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks! I'll look into the gore-tex and I've talked to someone who will sell me some material. Is it normal for the material to break down in these spots? Do you know what the normal life span of a convertible top is?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me guess, your top is torn right by the rear where your head would be, right?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mudchick
Thanks! I'll look into the gore-tex and I've talked to someone who will sell me some material. Is it normal for the material to break down in these spots? Do you know what the normal life span of a convertible top is?

Thanks
The top is considered a "wear" item by Honda. The soft tops on these cars suck, there have several design flaws where the material is prematurely worn through.

I would do what Touge suggested or use OEM soft top material to patch your existing top. I have extra material should you need it.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Steven622
Let me guess, your top is torn right by the rear where your head would be, right?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mudchick
Originally Posted by Steven622' timestamp='1333925707' post='21588156
Exactly. What's up with that?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 AM

I tried the patch method. but it didn't work for me. I ended up getting a new EZ top installed. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE IS THE BEST!!!!

This is a long standing and documented issue with these cars. So I hope everyone reads this thread!!! If your car does not have tears, DO NOT SAY TO YOURSELF, my car is fine and I dont have soft top tears, because it is ONLY A MATTER OF TIME before you do develop tears!!!!

Go buy yourself, or find someone that has the OEM softop material. The dealer will sell you a 1 ft. sq patch of OEM soft top material for about $30. Use a credit card to trace the shape and cut out. clean the inside of your top, and use Loctite brand vinyl glue. It is in a blue tube. Be sure to use the correct side of the patch. It is easy to tell, one side is the outside, one side is the inside. Place the glue on the side that is the same as the outside layer of your soft top and adhere the patch to the inside of your top. BE WARNED that if you do not either sit and hold the patch for a few minutes, or rig up a mechanism that holds the patch in place it will fall off. It needs a couple minutes to stick. Then either use some heat, or put the car outside and let it dry.

I did this on my '04 before I got tears, and guess what, I NEVER GOT TEARS!!! I had this for well over 2 years on my car and if done right, the patch will not fall off, remain water tight, and keep the top from tearing.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tenkies
I tried the patch method. but it didn't work for me. I ended up getting a new EZ top installed. Good luck!
Did you install it yourself? If not, how much did it cost and where did you have it done? What did the top cost?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Convertible top patch?