Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

flashing your lights is a no no.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashing your lights is a no no.

I was heading West bound this afternoon on the 202 from Higley and I guess the DPS were in full force because they had a trap at Greenfield heading both directions. I saw two DPS cars sitting on the on ramp to head East at Greenfield as I was approaching, (it's 45 MPH on the frickin freeway there) and there were two more sitting on the on ramp heading West. Well, I flashed my lights quite a few times and the next thing I know, I am getting pulled over down by McKellips by a blue Thunderbird. At first, I was like, WTH? I wasn't speeding and was in the far right lane doing 65. Well, I pull off very far so the officer would feel a bit more at ease coming up to my door. I am going through the glove box digging out my registration and insurance card, and I am just sitting there waiting. I would say 3 minutes have gone by, and I can't see where the officer is, so I start opening my door, and the guy was on my passenger side and yelled at me to close my door and put my hands on the wheel. He attempted to open my passenger door, and it was locked. He screamed at me to open the door, and I said "you told me to keep my hands on the wheel and I don't want to get shot" and then things settled down. He came around the back side of my truck and I had everything ready for him and he said "your antics could cause the state a few thousand dollars by warning on coming drivers that we are waiting ahead" and went on to say a few other things and told me "if you don't speed, you have nothing to worry about, but we get a lot of calls back on that stretch of highway about people doing 90 in that 45 mph area and it needs to stop....." He said to go about my business and don't interfere with their work. He didn't even want my DL or insurance card.
I didn't know it was illegal to flash my lights to alert other drivers. Hell, I didn't know the DPS had a Thunderbird as a patrol car. Anyway, I appreciate it when drivers flash their lights to me, so I guess next time, I won't make it as obvious (cutting over to the fast lane to hit the brights) as today. Anyone know if Tempe still has that tricked out Focus that will rev on you to get you to race, then bust you?
Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by jayhawker
he said "your antics could cause the state a few thousand dollars by warning on coming drivers that we are waiting ahead"
Wow, he actually admitted that he and the other uniformed WHORES out there were simply raising revenue for the state? Next time tell him to shove his ticket book and little ballpoint pen up his ASS! If he DID ticket you (which I don't think he can), all he needs to do is prove in a court of law that your intention was to warn people and not, say, test your highbeams on your new car or that you bumped the lever with your arm while changing radio stations.

BTW, people in this city (Phoenix) have been threatened by maniacs impersonating officers before. I'm always leary of an unmarked police car. Especially if the uniformed freak gets out waving his gun and yelling.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:18 AM

Leave it to you again... Luckily he didn't go for the cavity search on your ass Johnny boy....
Old 04-21-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never a good idea to start searching for your paperwork when a cop is observing or approaching your car. Looks too much like going for a weapon. Then when you opened the door you made it worse yet.

Just sit there with your hands on the wheel. Wait for him to approach and do what he says. If you've got tinted windows, then you might roll your window down. You need to do everything possible to make the cop feel comfortable with the situation.

Trust me this may make your next traffic stop go a little easier, even to the point of a warning vs. a ticket.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:18 AM

My father got pulled over back a long time ago for doing that as well. This was back in New Jersey.

The cop said to him "how would you like it if I came to your office and interferred with your job".

I see their point, but I am pretty sure that it is not illegal to blink your lights. If it was illegal then they would have given you a ticket considering "your antics could cause the state a few thousand dollars by warning on coming drivers that we are waiting ahead"
Old 04-21-2004, 06:18 AM

I flash whenever I can, professional courtesy. You could argue in court that your actions do as much to reduce speeding as a patrolman with a radar gun though I'm sure they could make up something to fine you for.

Illegal disbursement of light.
Wanton disregard for revenue generation.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Doc

That is absolutely absurd. It is not illeagal to flash.

That also pisses me off...I know that section of freeway and the only reason that it is 45mph is exactly that....REVENUE GENERATION!!!!

Do you really think that stretch of 3 lane rubberized minimally crowded freeway is actually dangerous to drive 85mph on? No...notice he didn't say he was out there trying to make the roads safer, just make money.

I am a little bitter due to my recent episode, but this is absolutely rediculous, the state preying even more on the general public - just take a look at the gas taxes and the cost of lisence plates. Damn government.

*steps off soapbox*

JJ
Old 04-21-2004, 09:24 AM

Gloffer, I understand what you are saying now. I just wanted to be prepared so when the cop came up to my window I was ready to hand over the stuff they always ask for. I kinda freaked out when he yelled to get back in my car and put my hands on the wheel. I can honestly say that really scared me.

Doc, my neighbor got a ticket in that section going 70. He was saying that the officer was kinda a prick and was thinking he wouldn't have been pulled over if he wasn't in his GTI. Oh well, what can you do? It really sucks going 45 in that section, but I always do because I know they are on the look out to get people speeding.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:06 AM

One of the things that pisses me off is when you hear a DPS spokesman on TV referring to the HOV lane as the high speed lane. What an idiot.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:04 PM

Hmmm Let me know next time they are out there. I get in my S and drive up and down that section and flash my brights all freekin' day long.

Secondly were you in the STI? Or the pickem up truck?

Thirdly don't EVER let a pig get into your ride, you will only give them consent to search you and they can at that point destroy your car.

Forthly I would file a complaint to get that muther pucker fired.

Quick Reply: flashing your lights is a no no.