Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Might be moving to Arizona from Cali, need some advice

Old 06-01-2004, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be moving to Arizona from Cali, need some advice

Well I got accepted into ASU and I might go there. Im not sure what I want to do now, but I think moving to AZ is what I am going to do. I visited arizona this last weekend and went around looking at houses that were for sale near the school. I found one right off Rural just down the road from ASU which is really nice for the price. The thing is, I've been looking online at new homes and they seem cheaper. I can't really figure out where the new homes are, they only say Phoenix area. I don't mind driving to school, because I all ready drive about 30 mins to school now. What I need to know is what are the nicer areas that people live in around ASU? Also anyone know of new home developments that are 30 mins or less away from ASU? Also any advice I should know before I move? Thanks.

Kevin
Old 06-01-2004, 07:01 PM

my advice. go to the better arizona school ... UA. *waits on lee to respond*
Old 06-01-2004, 09:27 PM

Maricopa is the newest area, but in the boonies. It is a quick jump onto I-10 up to broadway to get over to ASU.

The other areas are in the boonies too, far east Valley (Gilbert) or far NW.

It is nice to live near where you are going to work/school.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 PM

Stay around the university...traffic here is not fun for the commute.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:17 PM

Is traffic really that bad? I know I wasn't there when school was in and it was a weekend, but it seemed to me that Arizona was ALOT easier to get around then San Diego. If I remember right isn't Maricopa really south of the Tempe/Phoenix area? How long of a drive do you think it is from Maricopa to ASU? About the UofA comment, well I have my reasons of wanting to go to ASU. It seemed to me alot of people rode motorcycles, is it alot easier to get around AZ on one? I'm sure some of you have been to Greesy Tonys right off Rural and I forget what other street(its across the sreet from an Einstien Begal), I love that place. It was so good. =) Thanks everyone for the replies, anything you can add would be great.

Kevin
Old 06-02-2004, 06:27 AM

HEY, I take offense to that Gilbert BOONIES comment!

We live out at Chandler Blvd. and Cooper Rd. (Stapley). We're in the southeast corner of Chandler, almost to Gilbert, and the drive isn't too bad. My wife makes it every morning in the worst part of rush hour, and she does it in 30-40 minutes. There's a lot of new builds in the east valley (Chandler, Gilbert, East Mesa) and you'll get a lot more for your money than buying an older home in Tempe.

If you're interested in buying a new home versus an old home, talk to one of those places like New Home Concepts. Their commission is paid by the builders, so they start by asking you what area you want to live, what size home, ammenities, etc. and then go from there. They'll show you pretty much all of the new builds in any given area and they are really easy to work with. We used them to buy our current home, and I have no regrets.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Doc

And he left out the west side. If you come west of the West 101 it is ALL new houses, and it seems there are new ones daily. Then if you go to east LA (aka Buckeye) the "new scottsdale" of Verado is being built as well. The west side is the fastest growing area in town, so don't let those easties taint you, but it is a 30+ min commute to ASU, so not probable in your case.

JJ
Old 06-02-2004, 09:19 AM

Eastside 4 lyfe y0.

I go to ASU and I just bought a townhome on the scottsdale/tempe boarder right by Papago Park. I love the location.

Tempe itself is kind of small and there is nothing new there. I remember seeing some nice looking homes being built just west of Tempe in Phoenix for really cheap, but thats probably because the area nearby is kind of ghetto. If you have to go new, I recommend Chandler. There is also a subdivision right across the street from me called Marlborough Park that I almost bought in. It is really nice. My area is great, it's about a 4 minute drive to Mill Ave., 5min to ASU, and 5-10min to old scottsdale clubs/bars, and about 15min to north scottsdale.

Also, I don't think someone from san diego would call what we have here "traffic".
Old 06-02-2004, 10:31 AM

yep. i was in SD before i was in tucson. to be quite honest, the traffic there just scared me. i finally decided it was just safer to stay on MCRD til all the traffic was done from rush hour.

and no worries. ASU is a great college. i just like to get a rise from lee, but he looks like he's not paying attention. i will say this though. i think SD weather is the only place where i liked the weather more than arizona. well, cuba beat them both, but that's not a fair comparison.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:56 PM

The bottom line is that you can get more house for less the further out you go. That said, my gut reaction would be to stay close... but then again I just bought in Gilbert and I work downtown so who the hell am I to give advice? One thing I noticed while looking for a house: there are SO MANY options that it become a little bewildering. There are hundreds of developments from which to choose....make it easy on yourself and just look at a dozen or so and pick from these. As to the query about nicer areas around ASU, I've no idea. Tempe's fine, Chandler's fine, Mesa's fine. They're pretty much the same chain stores and strip malls and subdivisions which all sprung up in the 1980's and 90's and are about as homogenized as can be. Get a good realtor (I swear, everyone I've met here has the absolutely best realtor ever in the world so help me Jesus, you gotta meet him/her, he/she will set you up!) and get a place you'll be happy in for 4 years.

Quick Reply: Might be moving to Arizona from Cali, need some advice