Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

New AZ Emissions Testing

Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 AM
arb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New AZ Emissions Testing

Just thought I would share my recent bad experience with AZ emissions testing. I have a 2002 S2000 with a Kraftwerks SC and Hondata KPro ECU. The last 3 OBD scans in 2011, 2013, and 2015 passed without any issues. This time, I was flagged for "TAMPER UNABLE TO COMMUNICATE" and told to go the waiver station on Madison by the airport. I double checked that the KPro was allowing OBD checks and set the readiness flags. However, the waver check did not go well. The sticky item was that KPro turns off the EVAP monitor and possibly the EVAP function. That led to further probing. The tech lifted the hood and saw the non-EO supercharger. No registration is possible unless I put it back to stock.

So for anyone else who might fall into this trap, you might want to look into insuring your S as a collector car so you can avoid emissions altogether. I saw this too late in another post and I don't know if it still works but it is definitely worth a try. Too late for me because now the system has me tagged but hopefully others can be saved by planning ahead.
The following users liked this post:
username...chosen (07-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

It's a super charger , can you just disconnect it, swap injectors and throw in the OEM ECU?

I've heard that the Kpro no longer works anymore which is a pretty big disappointment as that was one of it's major selling points for a lot of people.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM
arb

The PITA part is the crank sensor but I will probably do it unless I figure out a better solution.
It is my extra vehicle so I may unregister it while I do the work in my spare time ... which seems to be hard to find.
The KPro worked great for me. It cured the low idle dip that the original ECU had where it would almost stall at times.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 PM

If it's your extra vehicle why not just go with Collectors insurance?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:43 PM
arb

Too late ... I can't even re-register it in a non-emissions area until this is cleared.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Damn, that sucks.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by arb
Too late ... I can't even re-register it in a non-emissions area until this is cleared.
Is that because your car was flagged already?
I have a supercharger and Kpro. Emissions are not due for a few months. Insuring the car as a collector car avoids emissions? If so I'm totally on it. and dont drive the thing enough to warrant screwing with.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:36 PM
arb

The car has never failed emissions until this time. I didn't change anything since the last test two years ago but they have new test software that looks for more readiness indicators through the OBD port. I'm pretty sure I would have passed the old test again. Not sure when the test changed but I think it was a recent update.
You can go online after your test and see previous test history and additional details of current test.

My report said:
MIL Status: TAMPER UNABLE TO COMMUNICATE
Key On Engine Running: TAMPER UNABLE TO COMMUNICATE
Catalyst: READY
Evap System: NOT APPLICABLE
Oxygen Sensor: READY
Heated O2 Sensor: READY
EGR System: NOT APPLICABLE

It seemed that anything that trips up the new test software will result in a waiver check.
When I failed the first OBD test, they didn't even pop the hood.
I got a fail paper and instructions to go to waiver facility.
My understanding is there is no getting out of it at that point.
My VIN was then tagged with a black mark in the system.
At the waiver check, he popped the hood and said "have you got a blower in this?".
With the KPro, the evap system not reporting will definitely fail the waiver check.
It probably expects the EGR system to also report but the waiver tech zeroed in on the evap fail.

Options are:
1. put it back to stock ECU with no SC
2. change the supercharger to one that has an EO sticker (I looked it up: Executive Order ... a CA thing)
3. don't drive on the street
Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is kind of painful but can you just bypass the supercharger do the injectors and swap it back to an oem computer for emissions. That would seem to be the least amount of actual physical labor. And injector swaps are pretty quick
Old 12-29-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the Comptech is the only carb legal system- but that is with their vacuum booster and electrical box- not an aftermarket ecu.
Best thing would be to pull the supercharger, swap the few k-pro sensors, put stock injectors and ecu back in. It may be a pain, but shouldn't take more than a few hours and only has to be done every 2 years. Luckily things like the crank pulley doesn't need to be swapped. It has been years since I have installed a supercharger, but you should be able to leave the bracket on (just pull the supercharger for the visual check), intercooler and most charge pipes could stay (just cover the ends so dirt doesn't get in while driving).

Quick Reply: New AZ Emissions Testing