Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Shipping wheels

Old 03-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping wheels

Hey Guys,

I haven't been on much recently but thought I would share my experience with you guys. Recently I sold my CCWs with the tires still on the wheels. This presented a big challenge as A) it's hard to find a box to fit them in and B) it heavy and expensive.

I ended up following this simple guide: http://howtoshipwheels.com/

To ship the wheels I hit Lowes and purchased 3 medium sized moving boxes, bubble wrap, shipping wrap, and shipping tape. The instructions are pretty basic and described in the link. I traced the tires on the cardboard box and cut out a template. You need two cardboard circles per side. I also cut out two sheets of bubble wrap per side that went between the wheel face and the cardboard. Next I taped the cardboard to the tires to make them stay in place. Once I had both sides done I thoroughly wrapped everything with the shipping wrap. When I was satisfied with the wrap I did a couple final passes of shipping tape to make sure everything stayed in place. Repeat that 4 times and you are good to go. Also, I ended up using the shipnex company they recommended and it was far cheaper than anything else I found. With all the packing material on the wheels they ended up at 45lb each. that's a lot of weight but I only paid $198 to send them to Boston via UPS.

Some of you may already know this trick but it saved me a bunch of money and time so I thought I would share. Added a couple pictures below of the finished product.

Nathan

[attachment=75428:shippedwheels1.jpg]
[attachment=75429:shippedwheels2.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Shipping wheels-shippedwheels1.jpg   Shipping wheels-shippedwheels2.jpg  
Old 03-16-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Skull&Bones
Hey Guys,

I haven't been on much recently but thought I would share my experience with you guys. Recently I sold my CCWs with the tires still on the wheels. This presented a big challenge as A) it's hard to find a box to fit them in and B) it heavy and expensive.

I ended up following this simple guide: http://howtoshipwheels.com/

To ship the wheels I hit Lowes and purchased 3 medium sized moving boxes, bubble wrap, shipping wrap, and shipping tape. The instructions are pretty basic and described in the link. I traced the tires on the cardboard box and cut out a template. You need two cardboard circles per side. I also cut out two sheets of bubble wrap per side that went between the wheel face and the cardboard. Next I taped the cardboard to the tires to make them stay in place. Once I had both sides done I thoroughly wrapped everything with the shipping wrap. When I was satisfied with the wrap I did a couple final passes of shipping tape to make sure everything stayed in place. Repeat that 4 times and you are good to go. Also, I ended up using the shipnex company they recommended and it was far cheaper than anything else I found. With all the packing material on the wheels they ended up at 45lb each. that's a lot of weight but I only paid $198 to send them to Boston via UPS.

Some of you may already know this trick but it saved me a bunch of money and time so I thought I would share. Added a couple pictures below of the finished product.

Nathan

[attachment=75428:shippedwheels1.jpg]
[attachment=75429:shippedwheels2.jpg]
Another thing you can try is just to go down to Discount Tire or something similar and get boxes for wheels they've sold. I shipped a set of 17" STI BBS wheels with tires still on them in a set of 20" or 22" wheel boxes from AZ to CA, and I think I paid around $150.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 PM

If you asked this is what I would have recommended as well as using shipnex
Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

That's why keeping your old set of boxes is also a good idea. I like the method your described Nathan.