Ark-La-Tex S2000 Owners Covering Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas

NPR day for August

Old 07-31-2003, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doc,

S2KI is now selling the speed radiator cap and thermostat with the Mugen fan switch. Have you heard anything about that. It seems these are pretty good prices.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:32 AM

I am running the Spoon setup for FYI purposes. I got mine from Richard "Mingster" what seems like eons ago.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:22 PM

Phil,

the prices on s2ki are better. especially if you are a member and can add the extra 5-10%. If you are ordering more than ~$200, the added discount pays for the membership.

the thermoswitchs are identical.
The Speed thermostat response range is from 65C to 70C, whereas the Mugen is from 68C to 81C.
The speed cap has a compression of 1.35 instead of 1.3

what this means....the speed stat and cap are probably identical to the Spoon. The only mod that actually improves cooling efficiency is the speed cap. The great the compression, the greater the allowed pressure, the greater the boiling point/percieved heat capacity. Got to love Robert Boyle....

My question and hesitation is about the thermostat. the speed/spoon open at a lower temperature. What I don't know is how low is too low. If it opens below optimum operating temperature, then there is theorhetical damage to the engine. I have not heard of any damage or any issues with the spoon. As Brian says, he has it. I do know that many (including the aforementioned Brian) have commented on how their car occillates between 2 and 3 bars on our extraordinarily accurate temp scale.

When one considers the temp range of each bar, that is where I am a little hesitant about the lowered range.

BTW in a nutshell....Cap increases the operating pressure of the radiator. Switch changes the operating temperature of the radiator fan. Stat changes the flow rate of the coolant through the radiator. Confused yet?

The Lowdown.... Get the stuff for s2ki. you support the board and save $$$. only downside maybe shipping time.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

currently planning to come and drive... most likely bringing a friend with me for rides.

right now, just trying to get off work to attend.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:16 AM

I can't make this It is official.

After our intense morning track session at Pensacola within 10 minutes on the drive back to pick up the girls my car was at 2 bars on the temp guage. Let me tell you... we all pushed out cars VERY hard that morning.

Phil noticed that towards the end of the day at NPR that my car was pulling a little stronger than his and I was also at two bars within just a few minutes of leaving the track and finding a gas station. My car didn't stay at two bars for more than 10 minutes or so. Once I got on some open roads IE: above 45 mph I went back to three bars.

This is what happened in pensacola also... we had about 10 minutes of backroads at sub 45mph speeds.

I feel that taking advantage of that cool down lap with the cooling mods installed will help with some of the heat soak issues.

In other words... the cooling mods will keep the car cooler at sub 45-50mph speeds non-vtec IMHO. All these mods do is start cooling your car faster to help with heat soak. After a few minutes (say 10) there effect is nullified or reduced. Since we don't spend more than 10 minutes on the track at NPR then these mods make a difference. If we were spending 20 minutes on the track then I would say their impact would be less.

It keeps the block cooler which takes longer for it to heat up which delays the heat soak affect.

I am going to purchase the rad cap. It is the only thing I don't have.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:02 AM

Yeah Brian, your car really pulled harder. It might be a combination of things. Cooling and possibly my K&N CAI. I am not sure it is helping that much. I might pull it off and put my air box back on.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:53 AM

i'm good to go, and my friend is coming along for rides...

Phil, i'm surely going to need some advice here and there... as well as some use of your air gauge and experience.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:51 PM

I'll be happy to help anyway I can!!!! Understand though I am by far no expert.

See ya tomorrow!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:02 PM

lol...

you surely know more than i...

see ya tomorrow... i'm leaving work a bit early, so i should be there at or a little before 5p.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:59 AM

WOOT!

loads of fun!

they even had a early 80's Countach out there... Phil and i were eating him up... actually, that little track didn't favor him at all...

we even got to run on the big track for a lap...

alright, so we had to keep it around 30mph since it was a scenic trip. but still, it looked sweet and Winston was saying we would probably be able to run the full 1.8 mile if we go the the PCA's DE event as they DO let Boxer's run... apparently, the PCA uses their own insurance vs NPR's?!? i'm going to try and get more info in the coming week.

all in all, a good evening. Phil said i did alright for a first time out.

thanks again Phil for the suggestions and the use of your gage... i stopped at AutoZone and bought one on the way home.

Quick Reply: NPR day for August