Ark-La-Tex S2000 Owners Covering Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas

Two-Way Radios

Old 10-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Two-Way Radios

If any of you are in the market for new two-way radios, check out BaoFeng radios.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JulieU
If any of you are in the market for new two-way radios, check out BaoFeng radios.
I second Julie's suggestion. My recommendation is the following radio to which I was introduced to by the one and only Trent L.:

https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp
Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by youngturk
Originally Posted by JulieU' timestamp='1475714363' post='24077748
I second Julie's suggestion. My recommendation is the following radio to which I was introduced to by the one and only Trent L.:

https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp
I just ordered two of them to replace my 10-year old FRS radios. Jerome
Old 10-22-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Channel "04" on "walki talkis" is 462.6375

Google the rest of the list of freq.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the channel 04 frequency of 462.6375. I just opened the boxes of my two new BaoFing radios. Reading the instructions, I could only understand how to install the belt clip, antenna, and battery, plus how to turn them on/off and which button to push to transmit. I hope that Friday, 28 October, in Branson someone in our BMT group will find time to put in the radio memory channel 04 and the emergency channel frequencies for me to use during the BMT. I can hardly wait for Friday to get here! Looks like the weather forecast for BMT Friday and Saturday will be good for this area of NW Arkansas. Jerome
Old 10-23-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I believe the radios have a programming feature via your PC and a special cable -- and, hopefully instructions. These radios are, of course, illegal on FRS without a license -- and probably with one as well as they put out excessive power.

But I'm told that some folks exceed the posted speed limit...

-- Chuck

Old 10-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Chuck S, Yes, they do come with instructions, but I don't understand much of what they are writing about. I understand that one would have to have an transmission power output of four times more to increase the range much at all. So increasing from 4-watts x 4 = 16 watts for a noticeable increase in range distance. My new BaoFang 2-way radios have a selectable output of 2-4-8 watts only. I am hoping that someone in our BMT group will setup my two new radios for channel 4 and whatever the emergency channel is. I am bringing the two fully charged BaoFang radios and the instruction booklet to the Branson seafood restaurant on Friday.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:56 AM

Since these are so inexpensive I bought a BF-F8HP and within 5 minutes after charging the battery was able to manually program any frequency within the radio's capability. A lot of key presses! The radio only accepts manual input in xxx.xxx (6 digits) format and the frequency for GMRS/FRS radios is xxx.XXXX (7 digits). The instructions cover how to get the last digit. In addition with a programming cable and free software it's possible to push all the GMRS/FRS frequencies -- or any others -- into the radio in a minute. There are downloadable data sets on line with all these.

Of note: 462.6375MHz (channel 4) on the little Midland/Motorola/etc. "family" radios is not a FRS (unlicensed) frequency, it's a GMRS frequency which requires a license. Regardless since this channel is on every "family" hand held radio sold at Walmart it's in common use and for some reason Channel 4 is the channel of choice for the two or three S2000 "drives" I've been on. I suspect this is simply because GMRS radios can transmit on "high power" 5W vs the 0.5W output authorized for FRS but have no idea why Channel 4 was selected as there are 15 available. My little Motorola GXT1000 radios limit output power to 0.5W on the FRS channels. The BF-F8HP has a maximum power output of 7W on UHF (the GMRS/FRS region).

-- Chuck
Old 11-03-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, these "UHF/VHF transceivers" technically need a license to operate. They are basically portable weaker HAM radios and you do need a license to transmit. But I don't think any agency actually monitors usage like for what we do. Maybe they will for a hobbyist who is always broadcasting from his home.

It is HIGHLY illegal to be transmitting on emergency or police frequencies unless it's a real emergency and you are hailing for assistance. Just stay within the GMRS/FRS frequencies (google it) and I think you will be "safe" for what we need them for. You can listen to any frequency and that is not illegal.

Do all members need to spend the extra cash to get a 5 watt radio? I think not. I believe the Lead and Sweep car should have them to help ensure they can hear each other and for all members in between to hear them more "clearly". Members in the middle can have "regular walki talkies" and can receive just fine but may not be able to transmit clearly, but they will have the instructions and know what is going on with the convoy (led by lead and sweep drivers). Also a 5 watt radio will overpower any 0.5-1 watt radio that the convoy may have, so the lead or sweep car instructions will be heard over "chatter" from the pack.

If anybody purchases a YAESU brand (Japanese), you have to remove a tiny resistor (conveniently placed) behind the battery to transmit in those frequencies (youtube the instructions).

Unnecessary info, perhaps. But this is just what I learned. Maybe it could be of some use for next events.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:17 PM

The highly regarded Yaesu VX-3R UHF/VHF transceiver is roughly $179 and the BaoFeng UV-5R is $25 -- cheaper than many FRS radios. The BF-F8HP is roughly $60 or what a pair of FRS radios costs.

-- Chuck

Last edited by JulieU; 11-03-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Two-Way Radios