Asia S2000 Owners English speaking owners from Asia. Including Hong Kong, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan.

Am i glad i chose a TypeV !

Old 06-17-2005, 07:53 AM
n$a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i glad i chose a TypeV !

It was not an easy decision to make: some threads on this forum were not much enthusiastic about the Variable Gearing System (VGS). Most of these opinions were not from testing but from wishful expectation (typically: "i wouldn't want to mess with the steering of the S already so good as it is").

I bought a TypeV anyway and i can say that, to me, the VGS is a large part of the fun of driving the S2000, as much as the engine or the chassis or the open-air. I don't pretend to be an expert driver or to use 100% of the car's capabilities, but it just feels right with the VGS: steering with one hand, shifting with the other.

In fact i am surprised the VGS is not available on export models. Maybe the VGS's merit is mostly found when driving in cities with narrow streets and sharp turn angles, which happens to be my case most of the time ?

Anyway i would definitely recommend all potential buyers in Japan (and those in the UK or elsewhere who import JDMs) to seriously consider the VGS.

Moreover it seems the VGS also comes with a different suspension setting, i can't compare easily but i do feel my S is incredibly jumpy on uneven surfaces and flat in corners, i guess the suspension might be even stiffer than on the regular model ?

Plus i've got that great steering wheel and an extra badge on the trunk.

Nicolas
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you drive VGS everday, then you will get used to it. Jumping between a VGS and non VGS might be strange.. and this is what put me off getting one when I was living in Jp... Honda were unable to supply a test car with it.. so for me was too much of a risk.

regarding suspension.. I did not hear of any difference, and what you describe is how the S drives anyway.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Kye

I have owned a VGS in Japan and now have a new 2.2 here in the states. The reason the VGS feels so much better is that the steering is so direct and responsive, I dont believe that the suspension is any different and looking through the specs for VGS against standard there is nothing listed.

I dont know why te VGS is offered outside of Japan, that sucks because it really is an amazing system.

Have to mention though the 2.2 litre engine is very nice, feels a lot more torquey ... which is nice but sucks that the red line is 1K lower, it bounces of the limiter to quickly :-(

//Kye
Old 06-23-2005, 10:46 PM

Kye, welcome back. Do you miss the crowded highways in Japan?

I bet the S would be really fun driving on the wide open highways of America!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:56 AM
n$a

Indeed it feels strange whenever i drive another car, the steering feels super-heavy compared to the S2000 typeV.

As to the rest of the car, i already posted elsewhere in these forums some months ago, will post again here. Honda's website specifically mentions that the settings for the typeV suspension have been modified to take into account the VGS. Or maybe i misread the material. Link is here:

http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto...00007/001.html

They mention:
- different damper
- different stabilizer
- different LSD

Nicolas
Old 08-17-2005, 02:39 PM

Hi people... I'm a very happy UK owner of a VGS import... believe there are only handful of them over here.... the VGS system is truly incredible!!

I wondered if any of you wonderful Japanese people could help me with trying to convert the Sat Nav, Tv tuner, DVD player and touch screen for use in UK! I can't read/speak Japanese so all the buttons mean nothing. The Sat Nav would be great if I was driving in Japan too!

Please help if you can. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by n$a,Jun 17 2005, 03:53 PM
It was not an easy decision to make: some threads on this forum were not much enthusiastic about the Variable Gearing System (VGS). Most of these opinions were not from testing but from wishful expectation (typically: "i wouldn't want to mess with the steering of the S already so good as it is").

I bought a TypeV anyway and i can say that, to me, the VGS is a large part of the fun of driving the S2000, as much as the engine or the chassis or the open-air. I don't pretend to be an expert driver or to use 100% of the car's capabilities, but it just feels right with the VGS: steering with one hand, shifting with the other.

In fact i am surprised the VGS is not available on export models. Maybe the VGS's merit is mostly found when driving in cities with narrow streets and sharp turn angles, which happens to be my case most of the time ?

Anyway i would definitely recommend all potential buyers in Japan (and those in the UK or elsewhere who import JDMs) to seriously consider the VGS.

Moreover it seems the VGS also comes with a different suspension setting, i can't compare easily but i do feel my S is incredibly jumpy on uneven surfaces and flat in corners, i guess the suspension might be even stiffer than on the regular model ?

Plus i've got that great steering wheel and an extra badge on the trunk.

Nicolas
Can you please post a picture in the gallery section of this website or right here, for us like to see folks?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never knew the VGS system was that noticeable. Is it just better around the town, or would it's features be an asset on the track?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
n$a

Picture of the Type V interior can be found on the Honda JP website:

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/s2000/t...kpit/index.html

That is exactly my interior (red+black leather).

I don't have a picture of the VGS trunk badge. Everything else is unchanged, externally.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quick Reply: Am i glad i chose a TypeV !