Aus & NZ Off Topic For all non S2000 related topics

6sp, no roof, RWD ... it's Frisky's new ride!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6sp, no roof, RWD ... it's Frisky's new ride!

I have officially become a biker! ...

Kawasaki KLE500 - V-Twin 500cc, 6 speed

Not the most powerful bike but a good learner/commuter to start off with. Bought it brand new so I also need to run it in for a while.

Just bought all the gear I need now and ready to go out for a ride this evening around the back streets to get a feel for it. Wooohoo!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
x2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it tough to change gear, seems like a pain watching a mate change gears... im guessing a few hours training will master in no time?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 PM

I thought it would be tricky but it is actually really easy, it is a sequential box, just flick up or down with your foot.

The hardest part for me is adjusting to the different coordination, from left hand changes gear and left foot is clutch in a car to left hand is clutch and left foot changes gear!! Damn confusing.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 PM

That's a nice bike but isn't it a bit big to learn on? I've ridden trail bikes a bit and I'd still probably only go a 250 to start off on the road
Old 03-16-2008, 09:51 PM
x2k

Originally Posted by Frisky,Mar 16 2008, 09:27 PM
I thought it would be tricky but it is actually really easy, it is a sequential box, just flick up or down with your foot.

The hardest part for me is adjusting to the different coordination, from left hand changes gear and left foot is clutch in a car to left hand is clutch and left foot changes gear!! Damn confusing.
Your already confusing me more ...

I Really am interested in driving a motorcycle, its just for the thrill im guessing... im geussing its more exciting driving in that eh

Exactly what i want to feel...
Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 AM

Aust - as a learner in NSW you can ride up to a 660cc providing it has less than 150kw/ton power to weight ratio. This might be a 500 but it only has around 33kw due mainly to 3 cats to meet euro emission standards. So not a quick bike but one that will be happy commuting, out on the open road or on some light trails.

x2k - I am still in the scary stage and have not experienced the exciting stage yet!! So much to learn and concentrate on.

Took her out for the first time this evening, managed to stay upright but did stall it once. Rode around some quiet back streets for an hour, need to do that a bit more before I start commuting to work me thinks. I really do thing that it will be a thrill once I can stop thinking about every action.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, you think you'd learn from my example.

Congrats Frisky.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:05 PM

I meant the weight and size of it not the hp. Then I have never met/seen how big you are so you might be able to chuck that thing around for all I know

My neighbour has a nice VTR250 with a few mods which I drool over most days. Simple cheap little bike but it looks tough. I've seen some on the net done similar, apparently its called streetfighter style?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Aus - I did learn from you, I actually took the pre-learner course and got a license!!!

Aust - Ah, I see, actually it is quite tall but as they go it is not too heavy. I am 190cm so I really like the fact that this bike is tall and I prefer the more upright riding position compared to a sports bike. On the pre-learner course we were riding Honda CBF250's which I felt like I was just perched on top of, when I sit on my bike it feels like I am actually part of it so it feels more secure. Anyway a bike's weight is only relevant if you drop it or need to push it, under power they keep themselves upright and you don't notice.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Yeah but it takes more to move it around and getting it up and down out of and into corners.
I seen a bloke nearly drop one of these heavy buggers on sunday. He nearly stalled as he took off on a right hand turn and the wheel pulled in.

btw, I'm just being argumentative cos I'm jealous

Quick Reply: 6sp, no roof, RWD ... it's Frisky's new ride!