Aus & NZ Off Topic For all non S2000 related topics

Contents insurance

Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contents insurance

With the new rock I was looking to get insurance to cover it and it seems that most require you to have contents to go with it. AAMI seem to be the cheapest but I don't want to scrimp.

I know AAMI car insurance are pretty useless but I was wondering if any of you have experience with them for house/contents insurance.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 PM

The best you can do is get a few quotes and check exactly what you're covered for and what the limitations on claims are. I recommend you try Zurich or Sun.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Yeah, we're covered at home with AAMI and they are ok.
Have had 2 claims through them...quick breakdown.
1) My brothers work laptop stolen from our car, in the garage.
- they refused to pay up, claiming that the garage was deemed "open air" because it was unlockable (after an investigator for the company came out and had a look). I called BS on them and took them to the ombudsman who sent out another investigator. He found that the garage was in fact lockable, made them pay us the $3.5k. excess was only a couple of hundred.
2) house got robbed during the day
- value of between 35k to 40k worth of goods stolen in 15 minutes. No problems at all. Only issue was there was no separate insurance for my sisters wedding rings....~16k down the toilet. Everything else was insured. Just needed to show proof of purchase/reciept or photo evidence.
Got new replacements of everything. 4x laptops, 2x digital camera, digital video camera etc.

So yeah good and bad experience but isn't every insurer pretty much the same?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Well yes and no some of them are just plain sharks some of them are very accomodating and understanding.

I could've been caught out on the ring they sent out a quote and cover note and it didn't cover jewellry outside the house. Gave them a call and for $60 extra its sorted but without it you'd be up the creek.