Aus & NZ Off Topic For all non S2000 related topics

Who has right of way?

Old 09-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has right of way?

Not sure this will work but its the intersection of Hunt street, Brisbane street and commonwealth.

The pic doesn't make it very clear but its a 3 way intersection with a stop sign at commonwealth.

Each day I head west along hunt street and turn right into brisbane. Every other day someone pulls out on me from the stop sign on commonwealth and I have to stop.

Am I in the right? I've considered taking this up to the police station but haven't been bothered to date.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:33 PM

That looks mighty confusing!

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=...6&t=h&z=17&om=1
Old 09-02-2007, 04:19 PM

There is another terrible section of road I travel every morning where I know my right of way but so many people get it wrong and it's dangerous. I've just sent an email to the RTA on it and I think I'll do the same for the scenario I've posted above.

Every morning I travel to Wollongong from Surry Hills. As I travel south along Southern Cross Drive and reach the point where the right hand lane is used for northbound traffic in the morning there is also a merger with the traffic on General Holmes Drive. This merger is with the left lane from Southern Cross Drive and the traffic on General Holmes drive. The right hand lane on Southern Cross drive continues in its own lane.

This stretch of road is chaos every morning as road goers are always confused as to which lane goes where. This confusion is fuelled also by the fact that there is a traffic sign on General Holmes drive showing that the lanes merge to the right which is correct. The problem is that this sign is clearly visible from Southern Cross drive and hence appears to be in relation to the lane movements for that carriage way.

I believe that it would be a lot safer if the traffic was changed to force the two lanes travelling south on Southern Cross drive to merge before General Holmes drive meets Southern cross drive allowing more distance to affect the merge and a clearer direction of who goes where.

Failing this I believe the least that should be done is a shield blocking the 'lane merging' sign that is on General Holmes Drive from the view of the traffic on Southern Cross drive.

I appreciate your attention to the matter.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Shot by the passenger from the driver's perspective
You can see the cars waiting to come out of Commonwealth street. That beep you can hear is the third car in the queue was beeping at the head car to go within seconds of pulling up to the line because it's the city and he's playing the role of the wanker driver. I think the only reason the lead car didn't pull out was they were going straight across the intersection and not left onto Commonwealth street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5G8zB26Ido