Aus & NZ Off Topic For all non S2000 related topics

Xbox360 / PS3 / Wii

Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP HD-DVD

Sources close to the situation have alerted Blu-ray.com that Toshiba is expected announce at a press conference to be held at 5pm (local time) in Tokyo, Japan that they have ended their support of the HD DVD format. Toshiba will announce that effective immediately, production of HD DVD hardware, software, and authoring tools will cease, and that sales and support of existing products will end sometime in March.

As the main supporters of HD DVD, their resignation effectively ends the format war. Blu-ray has won.

Since Warner Brothers' announcement that they would exclusively support the Blu-ray format, rumors have been circulating that HD DVD's lagging sales and loss of studio support would force Toshiba to exit from the high definition format war. The weeks following were riddled with additional studios, retailers, and distributors announcing that they too would support Blu-ray exclusively, concluding with Wal-Mart's announcement last Friday that they would drop support of HD DVD in June.

This information should be considered a rumor until Toshiba makes the official announcement, but our sources have always proven accurate. Once the official announcement is released, we will update this post with any additional information
Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Me: Honey read this article. I think we need a Blu-Ray player soon. HD-DVD is no longer supported
Her: Umm.. ok but what's wrong with our DVD player? You mean they aren't releasing new DVDs any more?
Me: No, just HD-DVDs, but DVDs are dying out and will be affected...<mumbling something about format and regional incompatibility jargon>
Her: Hrmm.. okaaay. So how much is a Blu-Ray player?
Me: Cheap. Pick one up in Japan for $350.
Her: Ok that's not too bad.
Me: Okay cool. <makes room for PS3 in TV cabinet....>
Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 AM

lol Blackie.

Should always do what I do, or atleast follow my motto, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission".

"Where'd that come from?"

"Oh, didn't I tell you. I'm positive I did....I'm sorry"

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Is it really that hard to get a gaming console when your married, pfft screw that im never getting married.

PS3 for me when GT5 comes out...
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 PM

im spewing pretty hard ...

just got my Xbox back on Sat from warranty repair . I was playing it for about 15mins and decided to try another game and the thing froze up . It had some weird E74 error code .

Rang up customer support, they said its screw and i need to send it back in for repairs

tell you guys what it looks fantastic on the 42" screen . i dont think i can go back to playing PS2 anymore .
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Make sure you're using component cables if you aren't already. Sharpens up the picture.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 PM

it comes with the component cables .

Its just amazing the graphics from the 360.

Sounds , playability , love it . Once you go next gen gaming , its very hard to go back .
Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 AM

Ive got the Wii and the PS3.

Wii is chipped and i mainly play old school NES,Supernes and mega drive games. Great fun and i love it. Mario galaxy, metroid and Zelda are pretty awesome but apart from that theres not too many other games that are worth it.

PS3 is pretty impressive. Along with a HDMI connection and a 1080p capable TV nothing beats it. Devil may cry 4 is unreal,wireless online gaming seamless, and its played every form of media ive tried. Havnt tried VLC codecs, but the good news is theres always updates available so sonner or later it should play pretty much everything.

They're aimed at different audience. Wii is more fun with others and maybe those who grew up with nintendo. PS3 is great for gamers and the blue ray is a plus. Caint wait for GT5 but i kinda miss playing Halo. End of the day it comes down to the buyer.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vuey,Feb 26 2008, 05:17 PM
im spewing pretty hard ...

just got my Xbox back on Sat from warranty repair . I was playing it for about 15mins and decided to try another game and the thing froze up . It had some weird E74 error code .

Rang up customer support, they said its screw and i need to send it back in for repairs

tell you guys what it looks fantastic on the 42" screen . i dont think i can go back to playing PS2 anymore .
I have some issues with mine freezing randomly and giving me some error about not being able to read the disk...very annoying when your half way through an endurance race on forza...