Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

40000 kms service question

Old 03-19-2003, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40000 kms service question

Firstly, I know that there is a prior thread about the 40k service, but I have a few questions which I hope you guys can shed some light on...

I called up a few places for quotes: John Blair $840, Doncaster $640, Ferntree Gully $691, Talbots $300, previous thread said the best price was $585.

Talbots claim that they don't replace anything that doesn't need replacing and that they don't do the fuel filter until 80k...

Does anyone think that price is a bit strange or that they may be missing anything major? The guy I spoke to also said that the S is a real low maintenance car so shouldn't be costing a heap to service?
Old 03-19-2003, 08:22 PM

Sorry I can't offer any comment about Talbots. I don't know anything about them.

For an S2000 I would recommend that you stick to one of the larger dealers who handle a lot of S2000's. Perhaps choose between Robert Lane Brighton, John Blair Prahran or Courtney & Patterson Heidelberg.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:19 PM

I have always had my car serviced at Eastern Honda in Doncaster (where I bought it new) and have no complaints about their servicing.

As long as the dealership is doing it by the book (ie as per the service schedule) I would go the cheapest option.

BTW, you get a HSCC discount at Eastern Honda too.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is everyone's thoughts on having this service, and others after warranty expires, done by a reputable performance workshop to carry out services after warranty expires...i myself did not go for the extended warranty.....Have gone through the book on what the 40000km service entails and mainly fluid and oil changes and checking valve clearances etc, etc and other so called 'checking'....with the huge turnover volume of general servicing of most car dealers during a day, including all types of their models, i always feel some part of the service would be skipped over or missed completely whereas a reputable performance workshop would carry out the work more thoroughly and with more care and understanding of performance sporties ... I wont go into my 30000klm dealer service drama here..
I can't believe the prices these big dealers charge for servicing and i'm sure it is done in a rush and brushed over.....
After all that, would like to know if anyone knows of a good performance workshop in the south Sydney area who knows and services the S2k...
Old 03-19-2003, 11:00 PM

The air filter needs to be replaced at 40k. 80k is way too much especially that the oem a/f is non washable.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Stanley
What is everyone's thoughts on having this service, and others after warranty expires, done by a reputable performance workshop to carry out services after warranty expires...
That's exactly what I did - once the initial 80K warranty + 40K E/W ran out.... I switched to a non-Honda service centre and I certainly have no regrets. Especially when it costs me 1/2 as much as Honda and it's being done by someone who has been involved with racing ITRs + S2Ks in the Oz GTP.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s...&threadid=55857

i myself did not go for the extended warranty.....Have gone through the book on what the 40000km service entails and mainly fluid and oil changes and checking valve clearances etc, etc and other so called 'checking'....
I use the book as a 'guide' only now and change things when I or my experience mechanic 'feel' they need it. The so called 'checking' is a shame and Honda certainly over quotes with how long they need to do the service (refer to my link above, noting what was done for 120K service & how long it took)!!

I can't believe the prices these big dealers charge for servicing and i'm sure it is done in a rush and brushed over.....
Goes hand in hand with the previous point.... the more hours required for a service, that they can 'try' to justify to you = more $$$ in their pockets.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great help and advice, Aussie_ITR......I'm off to find a performance workshop in south Sydney where they know and appreciate our cars and don't push their service jobs through the doors like a sausage machine....
Old 03-23-2003, 12:15 AM

Optical, I have all my servicing done at Talbots. The cost of the $40k service is $500+ NOT $300 - check with them again.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:18 PM

Optical, I have all my servicing done at Talbots. The cost of the $40k service is $500+ NOT $300 - check with them again.
Did you call up and get that quote recently?

I'm sure Brad at Talbots quoted me $300. I questioned it and said are you sure that covers everything and he said they only change what is necessary. Then I called back and asked about the air filter and he said that he couldn't do it for that price and they only change that at 80,000.

I said numerous times that it was very cheap and asked that he was sure that they were covering everything - he responded by saying that they would look after the car 110%!

It's booked in for Thursday so I guess I'll find out then.

Is the filter something which absolutely must be done at 40k?
Old 03-24-2003, 01:48 AM

optical...in your first post you said they don't do the FUEL filter until 80K, not the AIR filter... Not that the fuel filter is a worry, it's only a little plastic thing.

You would seriously want to change the air filter at 40K, especially in Aus (generally a bit dustier, especially this year!). From memory the OEM air filter is approx $70, no big deal, it could be included in the $300.

Quick Reply: 40000 kms service question