Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Australian Made Front Upper Strut Bar

Old 03-11-2001, 02:57 AM
Col

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Saturday I had the final fitting of a Front Upper Strut Bar made by Whiteline (Selby) and it fitted like a glove and looks very good. I will have photos from the fitting in a few days and will post them, it is rough as the plates will be powder coated and the bar tapered and polished in the final product. If you are interested you can see other Whiteline bars on http://www.whiteline.com.au to get an idea of the final product.

It fits differently to most others I have seen in that the mounting for the bar is on the outside front of the strut top rather then the insdide bottom. This has two good points, the first is that this means the bar is nearly straight, the second is that this is a better position as the bar is stopping the towers from moving together and this means that the mounting plate on the top of the strut tower is not being levered when under stress. Finally it does not obstruct removing the air box cover which at least one of the overseas units did.

I was concerned about the strength of the allow bar but was reassured as the same cross-section bar was used on a VT which had a driver nose accident. The bar was unscathed but it transferred the force from the driver's side to the passenger side, shifting the strut top on the "undamaged" side... Not exactly what it is designed to do but at least it will not bend under suspension loads.

Whiteline's RRP for their bar will be $179 plus there
Old 03-11-2001, 03:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There stuff looks pretty good. Please tell the plates will be red to match the rocker cover.

I'm first on the list
Old 03-11-2001, 12:30 PM
Col

Will ask Wojtek if we can have red. I would have thought you would have asked for colour coded to the car, but then subtlety is not your strong point......
Old 03-12-2001, 02:30 AM

Sounds like a good price Col, I could be tempted.
Old 03-12-2001, 12:47 PM
Col

Well here are the photos at last (I had a lot of fun with Photopoint last night. Apologies for the size but I haven't quite worked out how to adjust this):-

Note that the bar mount was just welded there on the spot to the plate with no real aim of neatness it was just to get the fitting right. The final product will be fully welded and the plate will be coated. Also the bar will have tapered ends and be polished as per the pictures on Whiteline's site.
Old 03-12-2001, 02:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Col, great job.

The front mounting position looks much better than I expected.

So, uh, when can I have one?
Old 03-12-2001, 03:22 PM
Col

At this point it will only be a few weeks but I have to contact Whiteline to sort out GB details. They preref single payment, single delivery and I am not sure how I will do that at this point.

If you have an idea email me.

Col.
Old 03-13-2001, 02:32 AM

Col - looks great! Count my hand up.

whiteline have a great history of building fantastic products. At minimum often equal to their japanese counterparts at a fraction of the costs!

tks
mike.