Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

building an s2000

Old 10-21-2006, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building an s2000

For all to know, ill be tracking my next s and will organise track days for those interested in due course!

this is all new to me and alot of other members who may be interested in tracking their s2ks in future, so expect the more than occasional noob question.

once the "s2ki commitee" have reached satisfactory conclusion's on the most effective mods and where to purchase we'll then move on to the next question.

ie.(performance enhancments/ wheels/ tyres/ clutches/ airfilters/ exhaust systems/ hardtops etc)

The goal is to build the ultimate s2000 for street and track purposes.

ill then take all the conclusions from this thread and title it-

"building an s2000" which will highlight all our Questions, Goals, Conclusions and review all the best bits! (im sure there will be alot of members compromising on outcomes) this will act as a guide for new and existing members on best performance enhancing tips.

Like most members, i spend alot of time on this forum and always get different opinions on whats best relating to a certain performance enhancement.

some questions will be questions we've asked in the past and can easily be concluded.
however lets dedicate this thread to answering all questions without vilification!

if you disagree with a suggestion, post your own but be sure to back it up with all the pros and con's (NO BS just facts!)

it is imperative that all suggestive modifications are an enhancement/ improvement to stock form.

**UPDATED**please see page 7 for conclusion on tyre brand recommendations, suspension mods and brake upgrades.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:28 AM

pechs, obvious answer, but if your looking for a performance mod, go turbo you won't regret it.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:05 AM

I've got a question back at you Pechs2k. Have you ever had the S2000 at the track? And have you ever been on the track (in any car)?

The reason I ask is because if you have not, then chances are than you can do anything you want to the S2000 (ie. turbo, suspension, whatever), and you will still be a lot slower there than people with stock S2000s who do have track experience.

The way it works is pretty simple:

1. The driver skill is responsible for anything up to 30sec per lap on most local tracks.

2. When you compare something slow (ie Barina) to something as fast/exotic as a 911TT (or Galardo), then the difference that these cars make is more like 20sec per lap.

So my sugestion would be to take the car out to the track as is, and spend enough time there that you're at least within 5sec of what the other people have managed. Then you can start thinking about mods as only then they may make some difference to your times.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 AM

pechs2k, if you ask a silly question - you'll get a silly answer

for your first question ................

rather than saying "I'm getting Tien coilovers, how do I adjust them?"

wouldn't it have been better to ask "What suspension mods should be considered first for our track car?"
Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 AM

david is correct. invest ur money in a driving course like warren luffs.
if u can run ur s2000 stock at wakefield in about 1min17s, then ur doing pretty good
Old 10-21-2006, 04:21 PM

topic changed. im not here to try to acheive the best track times, this thread is not intended to relate to driver ability and skill. the focus is to get different opinions on enhancements to make a good car even better. this thread will not only help me acheive my goals in building an s2000 but also hopefully in time be a reference point for new or existing owners looking to mod thier cars.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RedRover,Oct 21 2006, 05:00 AM
pechs2k, if you ask a silly question - you'll get a silly answer

for your first question ................

rather than saying "I'm getting Tien coilovers, how do I adjust them?"

wouldn't it have been better to ask "What suspension mods should be considered first for our track car?"
what suspension mods should be considered for a street and track car?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevharr,Oct 21 2006, 03:28 AM
pechs, obvious answer, but if your looking for a performance mod, go turbo you won't regret it.
if this thread goes as planned this topic will be discussed in time. lets for now focus on suspension setup.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by DavidM,Oct 21 2006, 04:05 AM
I've got a question back at you Pechs2k. Have you ever had the S2000 at the track? And have you ever been on the track (in any car)?
i have no experience whatsoever on the track.

1. The driver skill is responsible for anything up to 30sec per lap on most local tracks.

2. When you compare something slow (ie Barina) to something as fast/exotic as a 911TT (or Galardo), then the difference that these cars make is more like 20sec per lap.

So my sugestion would be to take the car out to the track as is, and spend enough time there that you're at least within 5sec of what the other people have managed. Then you can start thinking about mods as only then they may make some difference to your times.

you make a valid point. i can take it to a track and determine the mod required be it suspension/ tyres/ exhaust but which product best suits and why?

the goal is to have the platform to achieve great times, good lap times and driver skill will come with track experience. remember, all mods are improvements to the car. so you cant really go backwards with times. the car built will be driven daily (practical for everyday use) and worthy to be a weekend track car. ill be the first one to say.. i dont have experience hence the thread! help me build this car with good advice and if it helps other members achieve similar goals, then this thread would have achieved its desired outcome.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:27 PM

lets bring the thread back to its original intentions!
i have a box stock 00 and am about to track a car for the first time.
i want to track it stock so i can then get some ideas of what i want it to do.
then i,ll ask what is recommended by you guys. it sounds like you guys no your shit when it comes to punting the s2k.
i spent 6 years competing in the australian supersport championship (on a honda cbr of course) and i must agree that your better of getting some track time on the stock unit and then finding out what its lacking in regards to your driving style and level of skill. - which is precisely what i,m about to do!
any tips for my "first" track day - i just threw on a K&N FIPK.
oh and any suggestion for wheel size? it has stock 16,s and my local track (barbagello) is quite a tighty.

Quick Reply: building an s2000