Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Can anyone still get Falken VS04 tyres?

Old 10-09-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone still get Falken VS04 tyres?

It's been a while since I had a chance to carve curves up the hill in the S2k. The car has been a test bed for K&A nissan diff conversion. They are still trying to find the cheapest + strongest material for the axles. The car alignment is setup for drag racing but the weather was so good, I could not resist the temptation.

Out goes the drag radial, in goes these rear tyres.

The VS04 were given to me from a friend to try out. He used it on the front of his r32. This is the same tyres that Jim Richard used and won in many Targa Tas. These tyres were designed for slightly cold and moist road in Tas for Jim. The 245 is actually wider than my 255 SO3.

Boost were winded down to 16psi and ........I did not return until I used up 40L of petrol! I was in 2nd gear most of the time doing mainly from 60kph -way beyond speed limit to post on here without getting into trouble Driving at 70-100kph over 25kph corners was not a problem for these. The front 205/--/16 RE540 understeer a tad occasionally but probably partly due to alignment. It was hard to induce oversteer unless I shift down to 1st for power oversteer (1st gear max out at 100kph) or rev up and dump the clutch in 2nd. Overtook a few bikes too

These tyres are amazing. They have phenomenal grip in the dry cold road. There were patches of water around but these tyres just performed flawlessly. I will definitely get these tyres to use in spring time.

Unfortunately, I checked the Falken website but could not get any info on these. Does anyone know if these tyres are still available and how much for the rear?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Can any one help me out?

I thought the Aus section is full of track junkies and it should be a breeze to get the answer to this. Have all of the AU members converted to looking at lowies only now ?

I'll do a deal. If you can show me some lead for these tyres, I will post some of the lowies that fireball and I snapped at Jamboree 2005.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:44 PM

DEAL!

Now where are the lowie pics you promised?

Seriously though, I've never heard of these tyres. As I think the track junkies here use the Bridgie RE55s, Toyo RA-1s, Yoko A032Rs, etc. The only serious Falken tyre that warranted a mention were the Azenis RS or something.

Your tyre pic below is more of a wheel and caliper pic. You should take a photo of the tread when showing tyres, as their sidewalls all pretty much look the same.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:47 PM

I just got back to the office and still no helper yet

How about some Jamboree wet T-shirt or "skin to win" pictures?
Any takers
Old 10-10-2005, 07:01 PM

ah thanks blackie
I forgot to take a picture of the treads yesterday.
Car is in workshop for some more mods as of yesterday but it should look like this
Old 10-10-2005, 07:13 PM

That's a serious looking tyre.
Here you go
http://www.mx5mania.com/wheels.htm

I'll take two "skin to win" pics to go please.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Thanks blackie the link you provided only showed 15" and 17" tyres.
I checked the jap website and found out that they only comes in (for 18")
  285/35ZR18 420955 653 10 292
  245/40ZR18 420956 649 8 1/2 254

I can only use the 245/40/18 for the rear only
I guess I have to stick with the RE55 plan.

As promised, I will post some lowies in the other thread, hopefully tonight. Not sure if I have 2 skin to win pics though. Most of the pictures were taken with a decent dig slr though
Old 10-10-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try dunlop DJ01 or DZ02 tyres. They come in 3 compounds depending on where you intend to use them. IMO the Dunlops are the best performing R rubber around. I use them on clubbies so need the soft compound. You may find this too soft for a car twice the weight for anything more than short sprints.

Chris.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:19 AM

Sorry Honda9krpm, but I've never seen anyone with those tyres. I am at the track fairly often and I always look at what tyres are people using, but I've never seen the RS-V04 in the 'flesh'. Therefore I have no information that I can offer you on those tyres except that you should try and call Falken directly and ask them. That's how I got the Azenis RS when I had them.

I do have a set of RE55s on my spare wheels, but to me they are just about the worst road tyre one could reccomend. They thave zero grip when cold ... it's like driving on oil. As a track tyre they are awesome.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:12 AM

Thanks Chris and David
These tyres are recommended for cold and slightly moist road. They will wear too quick on the track after a few lap.The 18" size were designed for Jim Richard GTR I will call Falken to see if they are available in any other 18" size but I doubt that they will.

I also don't have enough room in the shed for another set of 18"...too many junks. So I will use the 18" on both street and track. I will try the RE55 next because I can get them at trade price.

BTW uploading pics as we speak

Quick Reply: Can anyone still get Falken VS04 tyres?