Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

cayman or a boxster s

Old 06-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cayman or a boxster s

looking at the new cayman and boxster s on its merits. what would be the argument for getting a cayman over say a boxster s with legit performance mods such as gemballa. i mean, there is at least a $20k difference (cayman pricing not being out yet, but all the pundits assume it will be about 170k to 200k)
essentially the same vehicle, except one is a vert and teh other a coupe. and subtle styling like the gills do make the cayman look nice, but in all honesty, what does the cayman bring to the table?
a hardtop for a boxster isnt worth $20k. so why?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:33 PM

You want to chuck in some links to help us compare them?
Old 06-05-2005, 05:05 PM

I doubt it will be more than $180k as that's getting close to 911 territory. I would estimate it to be around $140k for a Cayman and possibly $170k for a Cayman S.

Why would you get this instead of a Boxster S? Well for one, some don't like the open roof. Cayman is also said to be quicker overall due to revised suspension and stiffer body. In fact, some worry it will be TOO good and take over entry-level 911 sales.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:07 PM

a hardtop for a boxster isnt worth $20k. so why?

It's more that a 'hardtop'. Bottom line is that you'll never make a Caymen out of the Boxster no matter how much money you throw at it. This is because it was designed with a roof from ground up, the car is a lot more stiffer than Boxster can ever hope to be. That means better torsional ridgidity, which means better 'everything' as far as the handling goes.

Not that I have any problem with the Boxsters handling ... if anythihg, the opposite as I'd still say that it is one of the best handing cars that I have ever driven (if not tyhe best).

Also Caymen will come with a bigger engine (ie. 3.4L) so unless you do an engine swap on the Boxster (which is possible for about $20k), then the mods on the Boxster 3.2L engine will never quiete match the 3.4L. You can't mod an engine to have the kind of power delivery that you get by bigger displacement. Also, I can't remember 100% ... so don't take my work for it, but I thyink the Caymen comes with better/stronger hardware like brakes, drivetrain, clutch and gearbox. That eats a bit into that exta $30k that the Caymen will cost.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:10 PM

try these

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/05...sche_cayman_s/

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?f...php&carnum=2329

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...spx?carID=9322 (Beware Music!)

http://www.allcarscentral.com/forums...hp?topic=625.0

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/showcar.p...37&type=Article
Old 06-05-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Cayman is a coupe from day one so you can bet it is lighter and yet more rigid. And if I'm not mistaken it is expected in a minimum of 'S' trim with higher performance options.

The other thing holding the price up will be it's newness. It will be the 'new Porsche to have' to people who care about that sort of thing.

In the mean time, check out this Carrera GT double fatality:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html

Old 06-05-2005, 07:04 PM

Motor and other automotive journals have been saying the Cayman is more focused than either the Boxster or 911 and is designed to be a more out and out sportscar. Supposedly laps the ring quicker than the Carrera.

If I was in your shoes I would have picked up the Gemballa Boxster that went up for auction recently (repo); $140K, extensively modified and 550hp.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:35 PM

I seen that yesterday Aus. Apparently a stradale entered from the pits which was at the end of the straight where the CGT would have been doing 150mph+ the CGT swerved to miss him and lost it. Both guys were under 40 and the driver had a young girl too
Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 PM

i can understand the issuse with handling, but hey, the s2k is a great handling car and the boxster s is apparently as good if not better. plus im not lapping the nurburgring so it wont be an issue. what im trying to get at is whether the premium for a cayman is worth it for essentially a similar car, albeit, one that is marginally quicker.
although the brakes may be slightly better, these are all things that can be upgraded straight from porsche if one was to buy a boxster new. and i think a lot oof the tuners do ecu sets that bring the 3.2l (which i think is 217kw for the boxster s) up to a level around that of the cayman.
apparently a loaded boxster s costs about 160k, thats with all teh goodies. and i think the cayman s will be up there as well, because they r bringing out 2 variants.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:51 AM

If you get the Cayman i'll be super jealous as i'm so in love with that car

Seriously, if I was in the market for a car half that price i'd still pick the Cayman.

I WANT you to buy the Boxster but...well, you deserve the Cayman if you want it

Take me for a spin when you get it!

Quick Reply: cayman or a boxster s