Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Coilovers

Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers

Hi guys

Im after your help and want to hear your feedback with what coilovers you have on your s as I'm looking to purchasing a set in the near future but Really can't decide what to get , I've been doing my research through various websites but still none the wiser as to what I need. The coilovers are strictly for road use only and will never be needed for track days so I'm really after the comfiest ride possible with approx 2 inch drop. My car currently sits on 1 inch lowered king spring and 19's but Ive recently bought a set of 18 inch work vs xx that will go on the minute after I get them refurbished and my suspension is sorted as the one inch doesn't appear to be nearly enough to close the gap between the tyre and the guards after trial fitting the new wheels. I'm not fussy on what brand they are and if someone local has something good I'd be more than happy to go with them. Look forward to your feedback
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 PM

My S2000 has standard suspension for the moment, but I am planning on getting BC coilovers. In my opinion they are the best bang for buck coilovers you can get.

In my old car (R33 Skyline) I had Apexi coilovers and they were pretty much the worst thing ever. I've driven quite a few cars with BC coilovers and can't point out anything negative about them.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 PM

I've also heard great things about the BC's and recently had a drive in an S with the BR series. I must say it was comfortable, smooth and absorbed all of the bumps quite well. About 2 weeks later I was in the same car at Winton Raceway and felt how stiff they really get and was highly impressed...

I've recently placed an order for the ER series which come with external reservoirs and have height, damper and rebound adjustability. Once I get these installed I will give you a more in depth view on my opinion. I also hear you can perform a nice drop without sacrificing comfort because you still get the full length of travel on shock and spring.

One last comment is that I also found the damper adjuster knobs were quite firm and didn't feel flimsy and give you a good feel for when your adjusting your damper.

PS: the performance of the BR's at winton can be found on my YouTube Chanel just type in topl3s2000 and go to Honda S2000 Tampered Motorsports Winton and you should get an in car view of the ride. I tried to hold the camera as best as possible lol.

Hope this helps in answering your questions.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm running KWv3s. Everything I read about them prior to purchase seemed pretty good and the ride is impressive.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM

Ultimately if you're doing ONLY street driving, choose soft-ish spring rates from 5kg/mm to 8kg/mm max then add swaybars to counter for roll. This setup allows for bad roads but still grips just as well as any moron running super stiff spring rates on street (provided the spring rate to sway balanace is appropriate). Then, ensure that the dampers (or shocks commonly called) are matched accordingly. Some makers do this well, others.... don't. Stiffer spring rates aren't always better - it ultimately depends on the roads, your tyre grip levels, your swaybar stiffness etc.

Another factor to take into consideration is how long you'll be keeping the car. If you need to rebuild them, Koni, Bilstein and TEIN all have local support for rebuilding coil-overs. The remainder you may struggle to find local support for and may have to send overseas for proper rebuilds.

From what you've mentioned I'd recommend the KW (Germany) V3s (or even V2s). Soft spring rates, smooth dampening, build quality looks top notch and bound/rebound adjustment available. Just be careful when adjusting them as the spring seats are locked in differently from most setups I believe.

I personally think the BC (Taiwan) BR series are over-rated. Good perhaps for the person who wants to lower their car without much care for dampening ability and on a tight budget but otherwise I'd look elsewhere. Even though the coils were brand new, it felt like the dampers were already worn or the bound settings were off? Apparently it's normal though

Not sure on the rates of the Bilstein (Germany) PSS9s but if the damper valving is anything like the Amuse Bilsteins (Germany/Japan) I run - they're also a good contender I think a few people have complained about not being able to lower the car as much as they want though.

Buddy Club (Japan then Taiwan) entry level coil-overs were OK... maybe ever so slightly better than the BC BRs but slightly too hard for street use.

Tein (Japan) Flex were decent - felt a bit better than the Buddy Clubs but spring rates perhaps too soft haha.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by aozora
Ultimately if you're doing ONLY street driving, choose soft-ish spring rates from 5kg/mm to 8kg/mm max then add swaybars to counter for roll. This setup allows for bad roads but still grips just as well as any moron running super stiff spring rates on street (provided the spring rate to sway balanace is appropriate). Then, ensure that the dampers (or shocks commonly called) are matched accordingly. Some makers do this well, others.... don't. Stiffer spring rates aren't always better - it ultimately depends on the roads, your tyre grip levels, your swaybar stiffness etc.

Another factor to take into consideration is how long you'll be keeping the car. If you need to rebuild them, Koni, Bilstein and TEIN all have local support for rebuilding coil-overs. The remainder you may struggle to find local support for and may have to send overseas for proper rebuilds.

From what you've mentioned I'd recommend the KW (Germany) V3s (or even V2s). Soft spring rates, smooth dampening, build quality looks top notch and bound/rebound adjustment available. Just be careful when adjusting them as the spring seats are locked in differently from most setups I believe.

I personally think the BC (Taiwan) BR series are over-rated. Good perhaps for the person who wants to lower their car without much care for dampening ability and on a tight budget but otherwise I'd look elsewhere. Even though the coils were brand new, it felt like the dampers were already worn or the bound settings were off? Apparently it's normal though

Not sure on the rates of the Bilstein (Germany) PSS9s but if the damper valving is anything like the Amuse Bilsteins (Germany/Japan) I run - they're also a good contender I think a few people have complained about not being able to lower the car as much as they want though.

Buddy Club (Japan then Taiwan) entry level coil-overs were OK... maybe ever so slightly better than the BC BRs but slightly too hard for street use.

Tein (Japan) Flex were decent - felt a bit better than the Buddy Clubs but spring rates perhaps too soft haha.

Hope this helps!
Would you say that the V3 is also a track capable coilover?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Originally Posted by aozora' timestamp='1345210192' post='21944199

Hope this helps!
Would you say that the V3 is also a track capable coilover?

More than capable!!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM

I have AST's on my car. They are super comfortable on the road and will also work on track. Their new DDP technology pistons give you the best of both worlds. They can also be rebuilt in Australia. I had the HKS Hypermax III dampers before that, which were great on track, but the damping quality wasn't really up to regular road use. I have also driven various other S2000's on the road with the following setups;
Tein SRC - great quality gear, nicely made, but spring rates are too high for the road.
Bilstien PSS9 - nice quality, very comfortable ride, minimal adjustment.
Spoon Sports (adjustable) - beautiful engineering. Even worse ride than Tein SRC.
Buddy Club N+ - average quality build, ride is ok. Not bad for the money.
I hope this helps you :-)
Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Anyone have experience with the Tein monoflex with edfc?

Edfc may be a bit of a novelty, but the convenience of adjusting rates on the fly seem like a convenient plus.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mjb120
Anyone have experience with the Tein monoflex with edfc?

Edfc may be a bit of a novelty, but the convenience of adjusting rates on the fly seem like a convenient plus.
CBRAP2S2000 (Colin) has EDFC control with his Teins.

Quick Reply: Coilovers