Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Cruise Control

Old 04-19-2001, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple:

It seems Australian S2000's are the only
S2000's with NO cruise control.

Does anyone know how to get cruise control
for an Australian S2000 ? can it be ordered
as a spare part or are there any aftermarket
units which work well ?

It really pissed me off ! coz the Honda brochure
said the S2000 had cruise.

-Kupe.

p.s. now i got that off my chest i feel better :-)
Old 04-20-2001, 03:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kupe
[B]Simple:

It seems Australian S2000's are the only
Old 04-20-2001, 05:06 AM

Talk to Autron Electronics of 499 Victoria St West Melb 9329 2992; one guy was so impressed with the kob they did on his stook he had one put in his son's Type R. - I'll be getting one RSN as well.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:48 PM

The cruise control is an option in Japan, because it adds weight to the car. If you don't realize how big and heavy the thing is sitting under the bonnet. You can however buy it yourself. I do doubt that Honda Australia will bring it in specially for you. That is also one of the reasons why the Australian S2K weighs less.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:06 PM

Takashi, I have just installed an after market cruise control in another car (my wife's Commodore actually). It weighs in the order of 400g. I don't know about the offical Stook version but would be surprised if it were much heavier than this. Anyway, putting it into perspective, a litre of fuel weighs almost 1kg so I don't believe the weight of cruise control to be significant enough not to put it on.

The only owner I know of who has cruise control in Australia is TWOK who posts to this forum. His unit looks and feels almost identical to the OEM unit fited in US Stooks - i.e. it mounts to the 5 o'clock postion of the steering wheel hub. I believe he had it fitted by Robert Lanes (Honda dealer) in Melbourne. Anyway, you can send him a personal message via this forum but he probably won't read it till Monday as he is off on the Vic HSCC Bright drive weekend today and tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:26 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

I've seen Bernie's cruise control. It looks like it came straight from the factory.

[Edited by Muz on 04-21-2001 at 12:35 AM]
Old 04-22-2001, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
The cruise control is an option in Japan, because it adds weight to the car. If you don't realize how big and heavy the thing is sitting under the bonnet. You can however buy it yourself. I do doubt that Honda Australia will bring it in specially for you. That is also one of the reasons why the Australian S2K weighs less.

No, Honda Australia are hardly helpful on special orders. I tried to see if they would do a special order in the yellow (before they introduced it this year) with cruise control.

They just wouldn't do it. While I understand on the colour, I would have thought cruise was really easy for them.
Old 04-23-2001, 04:22 AM

anyone know where to get it done in NSW?
Old 04-23-2001, 06:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Col also has cruise control. I suspect it's the same unit as Bernie as it looks just like the OEM.

His is a Rostra unit. They are advertised in many car mags and if I remember rightly, can be sourced from a company called Electric Life (who also do power window conversion kits).

I spoke to Col at a recent HSCC meet and had a look at his install. Very neat. I curently have his copy of the workshop manual that he and the installer used to find the connections required. I'll post a copy shortly.

Another thing. You can order the OEM switch from HandA (sponsor: link below) and use it in place of the Rostra switch for that real authentic look.

Aus2K - if you're free this Sunday you might want to come on the HSCC run up the Blue Mountains. If Col's there you can check out his install. Email me if interested. Same goes for other NSW S owners.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:16 PM
Col

Hi,

I have the Rosta Electronic version others have the vacuum version. I did my own install and the only issue I had was finding the correct wire to pick up the VSS output. Using the RF switch it works well and looks nearly perfectly standard even under the bonnet. I bought the unit from Drury HiFi in Warringah (?), they had installed units on other S2Ks but I like to fiddle so did my own. The only limitation I find is that you don't have an "on" indicator and unfortunately without opening the control box there is no external wire I could use to drive an indicator.

The only complaints that I heard from others with the vacuum version was that it cut in with a sharp acceleration and the stalk mounted controls were rubbish. In fact both of those points can be fixed, the first with the sensitivity adjustment, the second by substituting the RF control.

Unfortunately won't be there on Sunday but can easily arrange to meet somewhere in the future.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control