Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

exhaust and oil cooler toss up

Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust and oil cooler toss up

hi guys im deciding to upgrade the exhaust system on my S.

Tossing up between the Invidia dual SS titanium system and the HKS dual hi-power system.

this is the invidia i was looking at

and this is the HKS one

The HKS one however is mild steel till the mufflers which are SS.

What ive been told is that the Invidia can get quite loud and hi pitched and the HKS is more dicreet but will get louder as the revs go up.

i dont know power wise the difference though.

which one do you recommend?

HKS i can get for roughly $950 and invidia i can get for roughly $1100.

also i am thinking of installing a oil cooler in my S for a track day or soemthing later on down the track.

are they any good?

from what ive searched on S2KI they effect start up times and temperature may sink too low if depending on weather.

do you recommend a certain size/brand/type?

and are they hard to install?

thansk guys
Old 08-09-2007, 02:35 PM

with an oil cooler u may need to think about increasing your oil pressure too. I don't see why you would need one though...

do you want a single or dual exhaust? I think the invidia would look nicer on your car
Old 08-09-2007, 03:02 PM

How are you planning on getting the Invidia? I'd like to get one myself but sellers I've asked before are US based and refuse to ship to Aus.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:09 PM

If you get an oil cooler you should get a thermostat installed with it so it only allows oil to get to it once the oil reaches a certain temp... Otherwise, the oil will take forever to get up to operating temp during Sydney's winter...

Also, I dunno...I didn't think the s2k needed one. Unless you were doing several laps in a row.

Every track day I've done has been broken up into 3 lap sessions (1 warmup, 1 timed, 1 cool down).
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem with both will be drone at around 3,500-4,000 rpm, the HKS definitely does (I used to have one on my S). The HKS gives a really nice sound without being too loud, slightly deeper than stock.

The Invidia was quite a popular choice in the UK about 4 years ago but I think it still has a drone.

blacks2k has the Amuse Ti which he claims does not drone so you might want to consider that as an option.

BTW, the pic of the HKS you provided is not the dual hi-power, it is the single. The dual will look better.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM

yeah i couldnt find a pic of the dual not on a S

the invidia you can buy on ebay for example they charge a arm and a leg for shipping though.

the system goes for $550 - $560 USD and $350 USD shipping totals up to about $1100 - $1200

so the oil cooler isnt required if i decide to track?

no problems thansk guys.

as for the exhaust the invidia or HKS?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 PM

aren't you selling your car?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 PM

nah gonna keep it man lowballer offers etc..

keppt getting crappy offers like EG plus 5k on top and a ps2 lolz
Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Open track days at Wakefield are usually 20 minute sessions. You can do a LOT of laps in 20 minutes! Circuit Club track days at either Eastern Creek, or Wakefield are the same, 20 minute sessions. Again, you can really overheat a car EASILY in that 20 minutes if you're going hard lap after lap. Just because a session is 20 minutes long doesn't mean you should go hard for 20 minutes though, your tyres will most likely turn to mush a few hop laps in, which is a good sign then to do some cool down laps before going hard again.

An oil temp gauge could be a worth mod so you can keep an eye on your temps on a track day. A lot of guys I know don't bother though as they have that "what you don't know doesn't hurt you attitude"!!!

I manage to cook the oil in my GT-R even with a massive 16 row TRUST oil cooler on a hot day at Eastern Creek (it's even placed away from the radiator and directly in open air via. a side vent).

Regarding the exhaust. I've read a lot about drone on the Invidia. And also many comparisons of that drone to the Buddy club I just installed. More research suggests that drone's a common thing on after-market exhausts for the S2K. Perhaps it's a combination of how low we're sitting (next to the exhaust), the stiff chassis and the convertible roof.

I've read, through searching on these forums, of people losing power with the HKS! Couldn't find a dyno sheet though. I assume many exhaust systems would perhaps have a curve where they lose some down low but gain some up high and that could be the case with the HKS (personally, I love HKS and I'm very brand loyal to them. I doubt they would release a product that lost power, call me blind, but I just love the stuff they make).
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM

yeah i agree with you about hks and the cooler.

i might not get one but just take it easy on the track without going too hard from start to finish.

i got told by indy from IS motor racing yesterday that the HKS has made some proven gains and he was telling me about a AP1 with a injen system (i think he is talking abotu yours) that gained well with CAI and exhaust only.

he told me my VAFCII, SS intake with k&N drop in, and hopefully hks exhaust system will make decent gain as my piggy back will be tuned properly.

he told me the HKS is a good system and like other proper pre made jap exhaust systems will make a decent 5 kw gain (this is when he was explaining you system)

right now im chasing price but i will most probably take it to him for the tune and system if the price is right.

thansk justin

Quick Reply: exhaust and oil cooler toss up