Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Greatest Engine of All Time

Old 01-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greatest Engine of All Time

Engine Technology International (ETi) issue January 2005: ETi contributors wax lyrical about what they think are the finest engines ever made.

Among the powerplants that graced the minds of them are:
Jaguar V12
Alfa Romeo 2000cc DOHC ca 1960
Chevrolet Smallblock
Ford-Cosworth DFV
Rover V8
Napier Sabre
BMW 4.4L V8 Valvetronic
Ford 427 SOHC
Ducati V-twin
Hillman Imp
Napier Deltic

Graham Johnson, editor of this magazine chose the HONDA 2-Liter (S2000) F20C.

"Why has no-one else selected this engine as the all-time great? Ill educated, soulless bunch (referring to the other contributors). What's not to love about this unit? It's got power: 240bhp to be exact, meaning it has more horses per liter than any other naturally aspirated engine - ever. It's got character too: actually it's got two - one, shy retiring type below 6,000rpm, and a fuel-crazed, raver above and beyond to 9,000rpm.

But there's more - this DOHC powerhouse sounds gorgeous at full flight; like it belongs in the nose of a Touring Car racer or even between the legs of the maddest motorcyclist.

And it's fuel efficient in that one can - 'one' I assume being someone limper of wrist - drive to an average of 13.6L/100km (32mpg). Hell, it even looks good, longitudinally mounted as an engine should be.

You just gotta thrash this one: it wants it; it demands a thorough, daily clear out - make that between each gear change (which, by the way, is another joyful experience because the subby lever is connected to the greatest gearbox of all time - another story).

Faults? Just one: Honda installed it in the S2000, a sports car the rump of which is not always as faithful as the power source.

Dads, grandads, then great grandads... this engine will be a talking point for a long time to come. This is the greatest engine of all time, and, thus far, it's got five International Engine of the Year Awards trophies to prove that fact."

- Graham Johnson, Engine Technology International | January 2005. Page 35.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:44 PM

Just a few passing comments on that list, in no particular order.

The Hillman Imp. These were a great little goer in their day, but I'm not sure it deserves to be in this list.

The Alfa & the Ducati twin - now there's a couple of really sweet engines.

The Jaguar V12 certainly had torque, but to truly appreciate a Jaguar you need to have two of them. That way you'll (usually) have one to drive whilst the other one is being repaired.

I would have thought that the 2.8L 6 from the XK120 was the best of the Jaguar engines?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:54 PM

Yeah, well the contributors had their reasons for this and that, I think the Jag V12 is a bitch to maintain 'these days', but in their heydays between 1972 to 1997 they were considered very very smooth (as you'd expect from a dozen pistons!)

I think the Hillman was entered because it was originally a racing engine and it was a marvel because it was light, being made out of Al, UK's first.

I agree with you on the Ducati... boy they make just the best sounding bikes ever.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surprised the Coventry Climax or Mazda Rotary didnt make it on the list. The Coventry climax motor was originally a stationary motor used for a fire fighting pump. It had to be light as it was carried on a sled by 4 men and powerful to drive the pump. Coventry tuned it for race cars and it was very successfull in the Cooper race cars. I think Jim Clarke and a few other drivers of note won titles with the Climax.

Chris.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:28 PM

Gee, it