Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Harold Scruby

Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your response! Brilliant . Be sure to scan it in and post it up so that I may fwd it on to my work colleagues in the hope that it becomes viral.

I had a big argument on another forum with someone that had started a thread entitled "Pedestrian Crossings".

In the thread he went on to say,
I'll admit it, I don't look to see what the traffic is doing when I'm a pedestrian and using a pedestrian crossing. Zebra crossing, lights, it makes no difference. When I've got the right of way, I'll just step out on the road, without bothering to check if there's a car coming.

Sure, I've come close to being hit at times, I've even belted the roof of cars that have barely (and I mean barely!) missed me.

Look at it this way, if you're driving along the road, there's a street intersecting the one you're on but you have right of way, do you check every time to see if there's something coming? I know I don't. Being a pedestrian is no different. If you have to give way, do so. If you've got the right of way, **** 'em, I say!
This didn't sit well with me, and I immediately assumed the man was an angsty teen. I was wrong. The ensuing argument revealed he was a 30+ year old man, with two children...

When asked if he had taught his children to cross the road in a similar fashion and if it would be affirming to him to see his children killed on a pedestrian crossing, he mentioned that he had "taught them the right way to cross the road".

His stupidity astounds me still.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM

As Aus said, Darwin will sort that out.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 AM

My
Old 08-03-2007, 03:55 AM

Statistics and physics demonstrate that a speed limit of between 40 and 50 km/h in built up areas significantly reduce the risk of, and the severity of motor vehicle accidents. It has been a more common mandate in Australian communities. I would suggest that those who find it inappropriate should relocate to rural areas where the speed limit may be higher.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, but 75% of statistic are made up on the spot.

The thing is, there is no suggestion that she was speeding or that she was even doing the limit. I know where it happened and it's within 10m of a crossing and a Give Way sign. I would suggest she was probably doing about 20kph at the time.

So, Mr Physics McStatistics, please tell me at what speed limit it is safe for a toddler to run in front of a car? Because your logic seems to suggest that our only course of action is to reduce speed limits.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by S2KPsychosis,Aug 3 2007, 09:55 PM
Statistics and physics demonstrate that a speed limit of between 40 and 50 km/h in built up areas significantly reduce the risk of, and the severity of motor vehicle accidents. It has been a more common mandate in Australian communities. I would suggest that those who find it inappropriate should relocate to rural areas where the speed limit may be higher.
By that reasoning wouldn't it be best to ban all cars from city roads?

"Statistics and physics" would then demonstrate that 100% of accidents that occurred on city roads were exactly the same as those found on the sidewalk.

Why stop at reducing the speed limit? The roads that were built for cars are dangerous for those people that walk on them. Easy solution. Remove the cars altogether! Surely a person that could come up with the above quote would agree with me...
Old 08-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Sorry to create angst. I probably should add that pedestrian education is more important than all the above. There is no safe speed to walk out in front of a moving car. I have 2 little ones and, even though I may seem paranoid, they go nowhere near the road.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPsychosis,Aug 4 2007, 11:30 AM
they go nowhere near the road.
That's the smartest thing you've said. If you keep kids away from a busy road it really doesn't matter if the limit is 40, 50, or 120.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 PM

I go all warm and fuzzy when anything that I say is considered smart
Old 08-04-2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Aug 4 2007, 11:36 AM
That's the smartest thing you've said. If you keep kids away from a busy road it really doesn't matter if the limit is 40, 50, or 120.
Someone has got to cross the road at some point Aus. If the limit is 120 no driver will ever be able to stop in time / bother to stop at a pedestrian crossing. There would not be any crossing of streets anywhere if a car two blocks away can still hit you if you try to cross the road.

Now that would truly be scary.

Quick Reply: Harold Scruby