Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Hi, travelling to OZ any meets going on?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hi, travelling to OZ any meets going on?

Hi Guys,

I was speaking to xoz and he suggested I should post a thread up.

I will be travelling to OZ from the 19th of April till 16th of May, first to Perth for 5 days or so then flying to Adelaide. I will likely drive to Melbourne, Sydney and possibly Brisbane - i will likely hire a car. Also if anyone has any 'must have' things to do/see in these areas then please suggest to me it would be most appreciated. Unfortunately no one is willing to come with me, so i am on my own.

I'm not into the backpacking thing, so going to drive and visit some places i have on my list. I was just wondering if there are any meets going on anywhere in OZ and if there's room for a 'pome bastard'? . To be honest I am a professional software engineer/control systems engineer with a degree, I am travelling to see what Australia is like, hopefully getting interviews as i have sent my CV off to many places.

I have tuned/installed my S2000 completely myself on a dyno with a comptech Supercharger and bolt on's, but also another guys N/A with a greddy e-manage ultimate (and in the past a VAFC2) - which are a steal and not as bad as everyone makes out. So if anyone wants any help setting up/tuning etc I'd be happy to do so (I don't want any money) with a greddy/VAFC2 and other stuff, also I should shortly have an EFi. I'd love to work for Elfin (reminds me of TVR ) or Holden but i probably don't have the necessary qualifications.

Could anyone also tell me which is the best mobile phone operator to go with (payasyougo) for data/internet access?

Cheers

Aj
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

G day Aj,
lets us know if you get up Brisbane / Gold Coast way, we have a drive meet April 10 so you'll miss that, possibly there could be a track day happening, maybe the track guys can post in and advise...
hav-a-gr8-trip..
Old 03-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be trading places and going to the UK around that time.

For things to visit here, it really depends on what you're into generally (outside of cars)? Sightseeing, food, wildlife etc.

No meets going on as far as I know in Melbourne... but there are usually Honda type meets (which I wouldn't recommend going to haha).

For mobile broadband providers, that also depends on where you'll be traveling, would you rather more data over speed and reliability etc etc.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, good to hear you're making the trip over. I'd highly recommend coming to Brisbane/Gold Coast (not that I'm biased). And if you are, we have a cruise soon on April 10 - which I know falls outside of your visit - but we can arrange another cruise to coincide with one of the events that are occurring during your expected stay. I'm not sure when or if you'll be in Brisbane, but here's a few things automotive:

1. Time Attack Series @ Lakeside Raceway - Round 2, Thursday April 28
- There are usually several modified cars (EVOs, STIs, GTRs, 911s, etc.) with some preparing for The World Time Attack Challenge (Superlap) in August. A few of us from the Brisbane "tracking fraternity" are also intending to do the Time Attack rounds this year.

Unfortunately, being a week day, many folks wouldn't normally be available, however, some might take 28.04.2011 off as it is surrounded by several public holidays.

2. Open Sprints @ Queensland Raceway - Round 3, Saturday May 14
- Similar sort of entry list as the Time Attack Series, however, there is probably a greater proportion of "economy/budget" cars (read Corollas, Civics, S13s, etc.). For several years, this was the series many of us were tracking in. In fact, I've still got at least one session in this series as they owe me some credit!

3. 36th McLean's Bridge Sports and Classic Car Festival, Sunday May 15 (Recommended)
The McLean's Bridge Classic has traditionally been held at South McLean on Brisbane's southside, but for 2011 they are moving to Lakeside Raceway in Brisbane's northern suburbs. Lakeside Raceway is one of Australia's most significant race tracks historically, having hosted several touring car and superbike races as well as some of the first Australian Grand Prix. Several hundred cars from various manufacturers are usually on display at the McLean's Bridge Classic. It's a great automotive festival and a few of us usually head over for a look-see.

So, if you do get the chance to come to Brisbane, finish your tour here! Spend a couple of days unwinding on the beach at the Gold or Sunshine Coasts, spend a couple of nights in the city, then wrap it up on the Sunday with a cruise and the McLean's Bridge Classic Car Festival. Too easy!

Mike
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks guys.

Xoz, actually i might be in Brisbane during the 10th which the Gold coast is near?

Aozora, enjoy your trip mate you just travelling?. If you need anything info then give me a shout, TBH the north is the best and most friendliest (real Britain IMHO). The south (London etc etc) is a bit 'dog eat dog/fake' i don't like it having lived there in the past but this is purely my opinion. The best places for natural beauty is 'Lake district' that's where i am from (which is in the north).

Anything mate, i like scuba diving, natural beauty, Zoo's, sightseeing etc. I was more on about simcards for my cellphone, i hear austel is the best.

Mike, Sounds brilliant!, as i say above i might well finish my journey in Brisbane as i fly back to perth for a day or two for my flight back home.

Cheers
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the Gold Coast / Brisbane is what is classed as the S.E. Queensland.
Though Perth couldn't be any further away. Give a yell if in Brisbane on the 10th of April.?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Hi,

No problem xoz, my flight will scheduled back to perth so no worries there.

Can anyone recommend any good sort of budget hotel/motel chains (dont want to spend a fortune)? or do i just stick hostels?, i guess i would get to know some people?. I would prefer a room by myself.

Cheers
Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

checkout wotif.com.au for accom.

you should be able to search from budget up!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks mate
Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to call the region Greater Brisbane, as South East QLD also includes other towns well outside of the Greater Brisbane area (like Toowoomba, Warwick, and Gympie). But that's just me

Irvatron, it'll be awesome if you could make the 10.04.2011 cruise as well. If you do make it then, do you have a (S2k) passenger seat already lined up?

Quick Reply: Hi, travelling to OZ any meets going on?