Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

If you had to replace your S2000 (2004 Version of thread)

Old 06-29-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone off expensive cars. I wonder why I still hang around here?

I reckon my ideal car is a Subaru Impreza wagon, but since I'd have to pay to change over from my 2000 WRX and then suffer immediate depreciation I haven't bothered.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:28 PM

New WRX STi
Older model M3
Porsche Boxter S

and for dreamtime - Maserati Spider.

I am extremely happy with our S2000 - it is a car in the same mould as our beloved XU1 Torana - and we have no plans to change it.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:09 PM

I'm far too busy to justify owning a fun car at the moment and I imagine I will be for the next 12 months till I finish uni. Until then this is my criteria(not in consistent order):
  • Relatively cheap (<$20K)
  • Low risk of theft etc
  • Cheap insurance (derivative of ^)
  • Easy on fuel
  • No need for a garage
  • Reliable
  • Comfortable

Some may say that its not a true replacement of the S2000 and I agree, but it is a replacement of the needs that I associated with the S2000 i.e transport. and trims of the wants such as fun top down nights

My next fun car will probably be around an '02 model S2000, the only other car that interests me is the STi and the insurance cost isn't proportional to the enjoyment level for me unfortunately. By this time I hope to be satisfactorily stimulated by a quick Kart or FF anyway
Old 06-29-2004, 05:48 PM

My primary criteria in a vehicle is something that is a little bit out there and not run of the mill. I think the Rolls (and please don't call it a Roller) fits the bill perfectly.

hehe, can't wait 'till you bring that to Winton ... I'm sure you'll beat the odd S2000 there ;-)

If you had to replace your S2000

Well, most of you know that I replaced it with the 350Z Track ... so there's my choice made. Though, if I was replacing it again then here's the shortlist:
- Lotus Exige (new one)
- Boxster S (almost new)
- 996, or maybe even 993 (2nd hand)
- S2000 (if they ever come out with one with bigger brakes, more power and 'tougher' components).

My criteria is still the same - has to have no more than 2 (real) seat, has to have perfromance/handing as it's primary functioanlity. Has to be RWD (or 4WD that still behaves like a RWD). Has to have no more than 2 doors, needs to have low center of gravity and good weight distribution and be very ridgid. Also it has to have very good brakes, bearbox and driving position. Last but not least, I'd like it to look sporty (and hopefully nice).
Old 06-29-2004, 06:22 PM

There is no current car out there that I would consider as a worthy replacement (to my criteria anyway) and I've said that before. I don't see myself getting rid of the S2000 in the near or distant future so my next car will be a family runabout (similar to Austblue's current criteria). Although the funmobile is pretty much how DavidM summed it up. A roadster is a major plus of course.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:14 PM

Maybe a 350Z.

Luv the Rx8 but a lil too slow.

Considered a WRX STI but the gals in the office wont let me! They hate'em!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:37 PM

Austblue, get a Jazz!

Do any of you Sydney guys want to take me for a spin one day. I have sat in plenty of S2s in showrooms but have never been in one whilst moving....

Would I buy a new one...NO! I love the look and appeal of them but can't justify the expense of a newie. That said, I would love one!

I can see value in second hand examples at around the $40k mark, but then I have this problem with used cars (it's a personal thing)

Oh and my wife hates them! (Don't ask me what her problem is).

The wife has said that the next car has to be powerful and practical so at aorund the $40-50k mark (I can't really justify spending a whole lot more any many cars) I will be looking at a WRX wagon or a Forester turbo. I'm leaning towards the Forester as I love the boxiness of it and it will look good slammed on some nice rims whilst still being a bit inconspicuous.

But I have to wait until I'm 25 so the insurance premium won't hit me as hard.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:47 PM

One word brother.....DIVORCE!

j/k how much do the Jazz's go for? I looked at a lot of EK civics but for their age I felt they were too expensive so I went with an '02 Lancer still under warranty for $12K I think its a great car and considering I'm doing 140kms per day atm I dont have to worry about losing out on resale because there isn't as much to lose. BTW my "major" 45K kms service just cost me a whopping $360 and the customer service was great. They even dropped me to work and picked me up when it was done without a question
Old 06-29-2004, 08:53 PM

Dunno about the used ones but we paid 27K for a fully loaded VTis Jazz in March.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHUCKIE

Quick Reply: If you had to replace your S2000 (2004 Version of thread)