Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Looking for small used car.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for small used car.

My attempts at finding something worthwhile under $2k proved futile, so I've upped the ante and am now looking at something between $8k and at an absolute stretch $15k. My shortlist has come down to a 99-00 Civic GLi, VTi or 96-98 Civic Vti-R, or a 2003 Jazz VTI or even a Ford Fiesta. Anyone have any experiences or advice to share with these cars? Ownership or what to look out for, etc. The Jazz is proving to be on the sharp end of the stick but also potentially the most expensive to buy.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:21 PM

the Jazz is a great car, but be warned, the Modding bug gan get you bad

it probebly has one of the largest interiors. i am 6' and i have plenty of head room.

i drove a fiesta and found it a little cramped and not as much boot space.

I haven't had much experience with the civics.

Plus Jazz's look hot

Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 PM

In a Khazi accent - "that's niiiice"

I do like the Jazz's design, engine, drivetrain and interior practicality but I'm not that excited about it's handling. I drove a loan car for a day and found the handling looser than a wizard's sleeve.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Banned

what are your requirements?

no of seats?
no of doors?
boot space an issue?
hatch or sedan?
sedate or sporty?

i've thumped the eastern honda jazz a few times, i really gave it a good solid thrashing. Yes the steering is looser than a st kilda hooker but i guess its supposed to be driven gently and not geared towards hammering turns, although i certaintly did put it through its paces. I wouldn't recommend the Neutral into drive at full revs either.

It seems to have a very plain interior lacking features though in true honda style. the petrol consumption is extremely good though, it chews nothing.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blackie,Nov 30 2006, 07:29 PM
In a Khazi accent - "that's niiiice"

I do like the Jazz's design, engine, drivetrain and interior practicality but I'm not that excited about it's handling. I drove a loan car for a day and found the handling looser than a wizard's sleeve.
handling wasn't too bad on stack, but a set of king springs did the job. Now it sticks good.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:48 PM

The only requirements are that it fits within my budget and is relatively cheap to maintain and that the missus and the dogs like it.

Japcab, you seem to thump everything you get your hands on...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

haha just about!

hrmm what about one of those corolla sportivo things? how much are they going for?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM

hey Blackie

i too was looking at the "under $5k" option . But there were just shithouse cars out there in that price bracket .

The problem with the civic's you got listed would be age and kilometers are usually high and insurance is probably high on the VTI-R civic . However , they are known to be ultra reliable.

I picked up an 05' VTI Jazz last week for $16,500 . power everything , 81kw engine . still got 1.5 yr warranty on it. Car had only done 16,700kms on the clock.
Car is in excellent condition , The rear seats fold all the way so it would be easy for you to transport the dogs around

And its got 3 drink cup holders !

The GLI variant is a 1.3L 61kw , and the VTI-S has the bodykit , fog lights and alloys .

You can pick up an 03-04 GLI for about $12-$14k or the VTI for a couple of thousand extra . I actually saw some good examples on carsales for sale in Vic when i was browsing for mine .

Hope this info helps
Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Corolla Sportivos are still going for low $20ks. Don't want to spend that much.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:58 PM

i know the Jazz may be pushing your budget . But if you plan to keep it long term , i think its pretty good value . They are certainly a better build than similar cars on the market e.g Swifts / mazda 2's / hyundai getz / mirage's etc.

Quick Reply: Looking for small used car.