Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

A/market wheels, spacers, lug nuts Q's

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spacers are so bad infact, that almost every single race car runs them! But I guess they aren't subject to high stress levels like street cars are. :s
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping in mind I want to use the car for street use and want it to remain safe, I won't compromise safety for looks. I am leaning not using them because I have recently just fitted some Yoki A048's and even though my guards are rolled I still rubbed so I'm guessing I need to relocate bumper tab. I don't want to be damaging my guards
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebob
Spacers are so bad infact, that almost every single race car runs them!
Wow really? I guess that explains why the Ferrari Formula 1 team's pit stops take so long.

Show me a racecar that has spacers and I'll show you a ricer-wannabe-racer.

Seriously, this kinda post belongs on OzHonda. Built racecars have the correct axle length and wheel offset for the desired wheel track. They don't mess around with bandaid spacers and they certainly aren't swayed by trying to look aggressive.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Aus, check 95% of gt3 cars. The twin turbo Nsx Ian Palmer used to drive in improved production had 40mm spacers. The hks Tsukuba lap record holding time attack car runs spacers. The js racing demo car runs spacers. I ran 15mm spacers for 16 months of racing. Sorry that in dealing with this issue first hand and not reading it on the Internet will not suffice with the never wrong attitude you possess.

Also, it's not uncommon for teams to run a completely different rim setup at each track which they will change the size of spacer to suit.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I stand corrected (and insulted to boot).

I must admit I do not understand why you would run spacers (effectively decreasing offset) when you could just run a lower offset wheel.

And it's not like finding low enough offsets has ever been a problem. The problem has always been the opposite. Finding a wheel with a high enough offset to not rub.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Aus, check 95% of gt3 cars. The twin turbo Nsx Ian Palmer used to drive in improved production had 40mm spacers. The hks Tsukuba lap record holding time attack car runs spacers. The js racing demo car runs spacers. I ran 15mm spacers for 16 months of racing. Sorry that in dealing with this issue first hand and not reading it on the Internet will not suffice with the never wrong attitude you possess.

Also, it's not uncommon for teams to run a completely different rim setup at each track which they will change the size of spacer to suit.
After speaking to the guys at Racebrakes, for some insurance claims where brake failure is suspected - they are called in to do inspections and any car running non-factory spacers (Some Porsches actually run thin spacers on the rear I believe?) automatically forfeits their right to claim and may even be liable for damages if another party is involved.

Race teams also change pads, rotors, tyres regularly, inspect components and retighten if necessary. The only way bob-stance-rice would notice a loose nut is if it came up in a photoshoot

Not disagreeing with you but they're 2 different situations/applications.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000
Well I stand corrected (and insulted to boot).

I must admit I do not understand why you would run spacers (effectively decreasing offset) when you could just run a lower offset wheel.

And it's not like finding low enough offsets has ever been a problem. The problem has always been the opposite. Finding a wheel with a high enough offset to not rub.
Some forms or Motorsport limit rim size. This is a way around it. Also the main reason for it is for brake Clarence because most of them run 2 piece rotors in which most cases will lessen then offset you could have had with a oem setup.

Originally Posted by aozora
Originally Posted by Thebob' timestamp='1332294677' post='21528587

After speaking to the guys at Racebrakes, for some insurance claims where brake failure is suspected - they are called in to do inspections and any car running non-factory spacers (Some Porsches actually run thin spacers on the rear I believe?) automatically forfeits their right to claim and may even be liable for damages if another party is involved.

Race teams also change pads, rotors, tyres regularly, inspect components and retighten if necessary. The only way bob-stance-rice would notice a loose nut is if it came up in a photoshoot

Not disagreeing with you but they're 2 different situations/applications.
I'm not sure what your getting at with the stance/rice comment as I'm neither of each. I only speak from my experience. As for racebreaks opinion, I dropped off a 1inch master cylinder to get re sleeved. They told me 1 inch cylinders don't exist for Honda civics and gave me a 15/16 even though I dropped off a 1 inch. Once again, I make that judgement from my experience.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only speak from my experience.
I concur.

aozora, Thebob is no ricer.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 AM

+1 on that one too. =)
Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 AM

Ylds2k: if you are running a048s on the road your mindset is not on safety. Hit a sun shower or puddle on hot tyres and put your busy face on. Also the a048 may read 225 but in fact the foot print is probably 235 or even 245. So bear that in mind when selecting tyres. Which might explain your scrubbing. Or I'm wrong again.

Quick Reply: A/market wheels, spacers, lug nuts Q's