Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Mazda RX8

Old 03-09-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Mar 9 2006, 06:39 PM
Funny you should mention this. I'm often asked if "My friend and I can get a lift" to which I usually have to answer no.

I recently gave two less than petite girls a short lift up Alexander St in Collaroy (I believe one of if not the steepest street in Sydney). With the turbo the car just pulled and pulled (LOL) and I wasn't even full throttle. Oh well, at least they got their jollies for the evening.
less than petite girls.. god what are we doing? we need to be picking up swimsuit models..not fattys.. the turbo woulda been too much for em!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:21 PM

I drove an RX8 when they first came out.

My impressions were that the power was very underwhelming, but the handling was reasonably good.

I personally think the RX8 has way too many styling cues from the S2k and therefore lacks originality/is a bit 'try hard'.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey PechS2k,

Don't do it... Actually, the RX8 is a nice car, but I find its details a little tacky. Those rear seats are also a bit tight for legroom, and those suicide doors are more of a gimmick. The problem is you have to open the front doors before you can open the rears, which reduces the entry and exit space quite dramatically if you need to let monkeys in/out from the back. It could probably do with a bit more go aswell.

If I were in the same boat and was in the market for a fast 4-seater, I'd go the EVO. It's a fantastic car. But if you're not into the looks then...

M
Old 03-09-2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-R,Mar 9 2006, 07:27 PM
If I were in the same boat and was in the market for a fast 4-seater, I'd go the EVO. It's a fantastic car. But if you're not into the looks then...

M
i guess it just comes down to what i like in the end.. i have more options and a bit more to consider now.. thanks for all the responses
Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by pechs2k,Mar 9 2006, 07:00 PM
less than petite girls.. god what are we doing? we need to be picking up swimsuit models..not fattys.. the turbo woulda been too much for em!
I hopped in my mates Rx8 & i'm not the tallest guy in the world plus being a skinny fella there wasnt much leg room at all.

As for swimsuit models....with the rear you dont need swimsuit models, you need toothpick chicks to fit in there.
Let me ask you...why have two swimsuit models sit in the rear??
Why dont you have 1on the front seat and the other on your lap??
Improvise bro!!!

As for seeing too many S's around....why dont you just do something different with yours and enjoy it.
Perhaps turbocharge the car and when your done with the turbo you can palm it off to me - it will go to a good home....

Best bet is to go test drive one for yourself & if you like it then buy one.
Sorry bro you wanted our opinion on it and in IMO the car is not worth the money nor is it a really flash car!
Old 03-09-2006, 07:58 PM

selling the S ?
man big decision . I dread the day i put my S up for sale

it is a really hard replacement , once you've had the "open top" experience you cant go back to closed roof cars sunroof is just a tease for letting the sun in .

Need something more practical ? you Mrs drives a Honda Jazz !!! if you needed to give lifts borrow her car bro !

As for me , i have come to the S after owning 3 CRX's , so 2 seater in-practicallity is something i am an expert at

As for the RX-8 it is a nice car , like many have said , its not the fastest around and practical ? thats debatable . I like all the little touches , the interior IMO is fully sick . But a couple of mates own one and they do drink petrol bro , close to V8 consumption if you thrash it .

Sporty 4 door ? WRX bro . For $40k .... its full hectic HARD . Woot ! and you know you'll smoke all S2000's out there .. expect AusS2000's car though
Old 03-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned

man u can easily fit two average sided people in the back of the rx8. Sure it might not be practical for a long drive, but there is enough room to say carry two ppl in the back to go to the city, have some fun then drive em home.

a mate of mine owned a red rx8 with the number plate 'AMUSE'. Full amuse body kit, wheels, exhaust, air induction etc. wicked car.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 PM

I like the RX8 as well, particularly it's looks. But you've gotta accept the downsides coming from an S2000.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM

I test drove an RX-8 when they first came out and my impressions was that it was a nice driving position, good ride/handling but in the end I didn't buy one because I was expecting it to be a bit quicker. Also, when you shut the front doors it didn't have that solid 'thunk' - it was a bit rattly - no doubt this was due to the rear suicide door arrangement. But then buying cars is very much down to the individual concerned...

Also, wouldn't there be more RX-8s on the road than S2000s?

Like others have already mentioned, I'm of the opinion that having a second (more practical) car is definitely the way to go.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:43 PM

I see more RX-8s then i do s2000s

I agree with your last comment..

Sport cars should always be 2 seats and 2 doors, no more...

Quick Reply: Mazda RX8