Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Motor Mag Article

Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4will,Jan 11 2006, 09:18 PM
it's because they're comparing it to what they perceive as a great looking car which are holdens and fords.
Exactly!

To them if it has a tray in the back, It classier than an Aston Martin..
Old 01-16-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My response, sent to motor@acp.com.au:

I am amazed by the Past Blast article on the Honda S2000. How could David Morley and myself see the same thing and yet hold diametrically opposed opinions on almost every point?

Let's start at the start. "With rear drive and ONLY a six-speed manual gearbox....". Should it have more gears? Or perhaps an automatic? The S2000 has one of the best six speed manual box of cogs ever to bless an automobile according to many reports. And what else should a sports car have?

"The real let down was the visual package." Subjective I know, but he has to be joking. I see it as beautiful, elegant and purposeful. And in light of the current trend of high gunwales, even higher posteriors, and bulbous noses like the TT and 350Z I see a timeless elegant design. David is right that the tail between the legs look of the Boxster certain attracts more attention, but not for the right reasons.

The under bonnet visual may not scream 'high performance' but the engine note surely does. The S2000 achieves a fine balance between low rev civility and screaming VTEC howl with aplomb.

"The big omission was cruise control". I see where this is coming from. Cruise control is anathema to the S2000. If you choose the F3 over the Old Pacific Highway then this car ain't for you.

"Bigger blokes will be pushed for elbow room". Perhaps cut down on the cheese burgers.

"it's then that you notice the dreaded digital dashboard". I think we have Ford and Nissan to blame for the 80s stigma attached to the digital dash. But in the S2000 I wouldn't have it any other way. Speed is immediately clear in the center and the arcing tachometer is the primary feedback when driving hard. I certainly don't have trouble seeing it and I've driven in all sorts of conditions. And the fact is, if analogue gauges had a real advantage you'd see them in V8 Supercars and F1. But you don't.

"getting the thing to shift it's arse requires much pedal stomping and gear sticking". To quote Julie Andrews, "These are a few of my favourite things". Hey, if you don't like driving get a taxi.

"The rear end is the culprit". Much has been made of the S2000's tailyness. It's certainly not for the faint hearted. But those that get to know the S2000 and learn it's limits don't have a problem. There are plenty getting around the road and track that don't seem to see this issue. I haven't heard Drew Russell complain as he overtakes big Fords and Holdens in the twisty bits.

The S2000 is a fun car. I've had mine since March 2000, after a 6 month wait. And I'll part with it when they pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel. If there is only room in your life for one car then perhaps the S is not for you. Or perhaps it is and you put up with the odd inconvenience like I do. I'd much rather carve the Old Pacific Highway in the S than sit in traffic in a Falcondore on the F3.

And then it dawned on me. The reason why Mr Morley's and my perception differed so much. The answer is in the second paragraph:

"An engaging personality, it would seem [to Mr Morley at least], just isn't enough if she doesn't also have the proper jumper monkeys." Is this really what passes for journalistic creativeness in the 21st century?

Perhaps the tag line of the article should have been:

"Not for troglodytes"
Old 01-16-2006, 06:17 PM

Damn Aus, you must be as bored as I am! Settling back into work is right up there with going to the dentist in my book
Old 01-16-2006, 06:55 PM

Nice letter Aus. I'll doubt they'll print that in its entirety though, if at all, as it makes Morley look like a bafoon.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Onya AusS ...good stuff...

Talk about design, amazing the number of people, even had a little old lady the other day, who come up and remark on how good the design of the S2000 looks...and It's over 6 years old!..
Old 01-16-2006, 08:55 PM

One of the captions also said xenons and revised suspension came on later models. Xenons (HIDs) were standard on the S2000 since the very beginning...
Old 01-16-2006, 09:01 PM

Yeah, I sent them a second email to that effect.

One thing I'm not entirely sure of is the definition of Xenon. Is it the same as HID, a different type of HID, or something different altogether?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 PM

Ze Germans call them xenons. High Intensity Discharge lights basically use a xenon gas filament, hence they are often referred by the Old World as xenons. The Japanese, Aussies and Yanks like their abbreviations hence we typically refer to them as HIDs. If I'm wrong, someone bludgeon me with a headlight.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:14 PM

I did some research and I believe you to be right.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 PM

That letter's moist, Aus. Moist.

Quick Reply: Motor Mag Article