Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Phillip Island Track day

Old 09-10-2001, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good David.

A couple of questions?
1. Did you get out there last Wednesday like you planned.
2. DO we race on the full circuit or the short (original) track. The full circuit looks like more fun (more curves) but also it means at the end of the back straight you have to drop back to 2nd. Using the short circuit it seems like you would be powering through at fairly high speed - just like the end of Phillip Island straight only less braking.
3. How often, and when, is the circuit available - I couldn't find this info on the Sandown web site.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:20 AM

------------------------
Ok on my best lap I was switching into 5th at 8500rpm 2 seconds before start/finish and was flooring it in it for another 4 seconds downhill. 4th gear redline from memory is 185mph on the ITR. 4 seconds in 5th is enough to at least hit 205 on the speedo. Real figures... well it sure felt FAST!
------------------------
lol :-) You can't see in the video what revs you were doing at the end of main straight? Unless I get the revs I can't really work it out. Also, you ment '4th gear redline is 185kph' ... not mph right? :-)

------------------------
1. Did you get out there last Wednesday like you planned.
------------------------
nope :-( You can just pay at the gate so I don't go unless the weather looks good. Did not look good 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping that it will be good this Wednesday and also my 200SX friend wants to come so I need to get him freeded up as well :-) Still hoping for this Wednesday though.

------------------------
2. DO we race on the full circuit or the short (original) track. The full circuit looks like more fun (more curves) but also it means at the end of the back straight you have to drop back to 2nd. Using the short circuit it seems like you would be powering through at fairly high speed - just like the end of Phillip Island straight only less braking.
------------------------
It's the 'short' circuit. ie. the one that you raced on with the rest of HSCC people. I've never been on the 'long' circuit but it would be fun ... I'll have to ask about that.

------------------------
3. How often, and when, is the circuit available - I couldn't find this info on the Sandown web site
------------------------
Calder is available every Wednesday for "Open Practice" ... that is unless it's booked for some other event (which is not that often).

I'm not sure if they have somehting like this at Sandown. Try calling the track people, but as I said, I always go through the Jim Murcock driving school and do the 1/2 dayer of the "racing course". 1st 1/2 day is just theory and there's no point doing it more than once. They had one of these last Sunday and have another event in October ... its on the 1st or 2nd Sunday ... I can't remember exact date, I have it written down at work as I was thinking about going. I'll post the date and phone number tomorrow.

On a different note. Tony managed 1:58 time in the last session at the Island. Also he was reaching 225-230kph on the main straight. That is good 220kph+ when accounting for speedo error.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by DavidM
lol :-) You can't see in the video what revs you were doing at the end of main straight? Unless I get the revs I can't really work it out. Also, you ment '4th gear redline is 185kph' ... not mph right? :-)
Nah man, I SWEAR I was doing 185mph!!! And my car can also fly too hehehe.

I know it's hard to tell without revs, but I can guestimate... I've done over 200 before so I am going from memory.

I'll try to work it out... if I were to guess I'd say I was close to 7000... may be 6800... may be a bit less. Dunno. Can u work out the speed from that? (I dont have time to find the ratios, got a 5 hour meeting coming up in 15)
Old 09-10-2001, 03:09 PM

Thanks Iggy, I do believe your 205kph spedo reading ... I'm just wondering how much of that is speedo error. Anyway, the specs for Type R Integra are 8400/8800 redline/cutout and here are the speeds in gear at redline/cutout:
1st = 57/60kph
2nd = 89/93kph
3rd = 128/134kph
4th = 181/190kph
5th = 238/249kph

So, if you were in 5th and doing 7000rpm then you were doing 198kph 'true' speed. If you were doing 6800rpm then you were doing 192kph 'true' speed. Though, as you can see, unless we get the exact revs then we'll be more off than what your speedo was showing.

ps. What shape are your tyres on ... these 'speeds in gear' pressume that you have average (to above average) thread depth.

Here's some more info for 2kTurkey:
- Next Sandown 'racing course' is help on the 14th October. You need to usually book good 2-4 weeks in advance as they fill up pretty quickly. Also the cost is $175 for the 1/2day (track part of the course) ... not $165 as I mentioned. Call 1300 555 576 to find out more.

- About Calder call 9217 8800. Also, I think you can book Wednesday for a 'corporate' event ... though I'm not sure what the cost of that is (and if it will divide into less than $165 per person). Personally I'd prefer to have 'other' cars there.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:32 AM

I had another thought about a Sandown 'track day'. It could be worthwhile asking the WRX or HSV clubs if they are interested in sharing the track with us ... I'm sure that they already have the track booked as they go there pretty often. It'd be interesting to see other cars there as well. Maybe even Porsche club would be interested; though they do not have that many events so it's unlikely that thay'd have a Sandown track day in a near future. Worthwile asking though.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by DavidM
I had another thought about a Sandown 'track day'. It could be worthwhile asking the WRX or HSV clubs if they are interested in sharing the track with us ... .
Thanks David, good suggestion. It seems like PIARC is definitely the best value for money at around half the cost of Calder or Sandown.

We had our HSCC committee meeting tonight - there is a strong possibility we may organise another PIARC day for mid October. Anybody interested????
Old 09-11-2001, 05:40 AM

What is a "PIARC day"? Though, speaking for myself, I'd rather pay more and get more track time. Three 20min sessions in a whole day does not seem enough to me. I'd rather get 1/2 day with 2 - 3 hours of solid track time .... I'm not sure what that means .... If anything I'd rather get the 'three 20 min sessions' done in 3 hours so that I'd get the tarck time a bit more "concentrated" and also don't have to get up at 7am (which I'm very bad at) and take up most of the day :-)
Old 09-11-2001, 03:16 PM

Another PIARC day would be awesome!

PIARC: Phillip Island Auto Racing Club? www.piarc.com.au

Start another thread to get numbers tho... also miught be worth while posting on the ITR forums in H-A.net, H-tech.com and may be invite the WRX/HSV or may be even the Porsche club???

hehe... let's see if we can give them a run for their money!
Old 09-11-2001, 08:11 PM

You guys are making me homesick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE Phillip Island. Been there in the car and on my old bike, a '95 CBR 900 Fireblade. Saw 265km/h down the front straight, and over 200kmh in turn one. F-U-N!!!

I remember back in 1996 when I organised a Phillip Island track day that DavidM attended.........was consistently taking turn one in my MX5 at 160kmh, but when taking a mutual friend for some hot laps, I got a little adventurous (read: cocky) and entered turn one at over 170kmh. Well, that was just a little too much for the Mazda to bear, and, coupled with the over 100kg extra weight of my passenger, found us have a MASSIVE oversteer lose at over 170kmh!

I managed to correct it and brought the car back into line (out of sheer fear of not wanting to know what would have happened if I lost it completely)....but then the car stepped out - AGAIN!!!! Once again, I brought it back again and continued on through the double apex turn two without a hassle............all to the astonishment of my passenger 'Jake'. We just couldn't believe what had just happened.......wich I had THAT on video! Think I was seeing 2.09's in the MX5 with street tires. These times were always achieved with a passenger..........I never ran a lap that day without a passnger, so I guess I could have shaved 2 or so seconds off if I ran solo.

Sandown is a great track too.........was getting 1.29's in my 1997 RX7 and could have done better if my (mismatched) brakes supplied by Pagid didn't eat through my rear rotors. I don't worry about the walls there though. If you worry about them, you'll be sure to crash into them! Just drive the track and concentrate on tight lines.

Calder is ok......but actually quite boring as compared to Sandown and PI. Winton is a great track too.......very tight and twisty. Remember watching my friend's '90 CRX jump about 1 metre in the air after he spun off there and launched off the rumble strip!!!

Can't wait to get back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2001, 08:47 PM

Another option is 'renting out' the Phillip Island track like Sime did. I think 25 people paying $120 each covered the expense. Also, that ment that you had the track for a whole day and got as much track time as you wished.

Quick Reply: Phillip Island Track day