Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Planning to buy S2K

Old 02-26-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to buy S2K

Hey people, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to greet everyone before I ask for some advices.

Well as my topic states, yes I'm planning on getting a s2k but there are few questions going inside my head that bugs me. Firstly is s2k good for everyday use because I've decided to sell my crappy excel instead of having a work car and a weekend car.
My other question is how to spot a trashed s2k to a nice one apart from the obvious what should I look into when inspecting the s2k.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by xiii,Feb 26 2007, 01:48 AM
My other question is how to spot a trashed s2k to a nice one apart from the obvious what should I look into when inspecting the s2k.
well i can answer that, ppl who buy s2k will thrash it, and i dont think u can find one thats not thrashed, js less thrashed, so its good to look for ones that less less milage on the clock.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 AM

Service history where possible.

Maybe try and buy private - from someone perhaps retired

Problem with the cars is they just beg and beg to be driven spritely.

No issues been a daily driver, but thats more a individual type of preference i guess. I've many a passenger who have not liked it, due to the somewhat cramped space.

I find it rather comfy and snug.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 PM

I would say service history is a must, not if possible. A highly strung engine needs to be serviced properly to ensure any kind of longevity.

Perfect as a daily driver, unless you need to carry stuff or people.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 PM

what these guys said .

Another good thing to do is test drive a few examples . So you can get the feel of some gear boxes / clutches etc.
Make sure gear changes are smooth and not too many rattles or vibrations are coming from the car .
Drive it roof up and listen out for excessive wind noise .

As for it being a daily driver , i couldnt find any negatives with it . Trust us , you will want to drive it EVERYDAY
Old 02-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

engine in s2k is good provided that its been maintained regularly for servicing, and parts etc that have broken have been replaced and oil checked and maintained well. The engine has forged internals stock so its a pretty tough unit. Problems have been encountered with the engine where oil has been run low.

I'd definately buy something with a full service history from honda or a reputable S2k service mechanic such as hannys in NSW or CRS in melbourne.

If you find a car you would like to purchase, plenty of forum members who have an s2k would most likely be willing to come down and test drive the car with you to make sure its running ok.

with purchasing one, look around and i guess this is a car where throwing in the extra buck to buy a cleaner example/lower km's can pay off, rather than buying a cheaper one with gaps in service history which can be extremely expensive to repair when problems arise.

everyday driving is fun, however there is not much room in the s2k so its quite a closed in feel. The ride is fairly firm, and the gear changes snappy. I daily drive mine to and from work, city driving and i enjoy it however its a bit uncomfortable after a hard day. Whereas driving around between suburbs is fantastic. certaintly worth the compromise i think.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I'm looking around carsales and hopefully find a nice one. My perferred colour would be GPW/red leather . Also is it worth spend like extra $10k to get 02+ model, is there any great difference?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by xiii,Feb 27 2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm looking around carsales and hopefully find a nice one. My perferred colour would be GPW/red leather . Also is it worth spend like extra $10k to get 02+ model, is there any great difference?
good luck finding a GPW/Red , they are highly sought after ! But you might get lucky and find one in your specs .

02 -03 models come with chrome exterior highlights , slightly different rims , interior highlights , and most importantly a glass rear window . If your planning to keep the car log term , its probably a better option .

One other thing we forgot to mention is that you need to check the conditio of the roof , make sure there are no tears on the inside and out and also if you get a 99-01 that the plastic rear window is in good condition , as i know some of the guys ar having alot of issues with the roof on earlier models .
Old 02-27-2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by xiii,Feb 27 2007, 01:45 AM
theres a GPW 99 model S for sale on carsales atm.

But like you most ppl who set out to buy an S2k wants white. Most white ones out there are dodgy so beware.