Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Query on downshifting....

Old 09-14-2003, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Austblue
Why change Jim? Wouldn't you be better off just doing one or the other so that you practice all the time? I use my heel. As I said Wilch I grabbed 5th accidently too a couple of times today. Better than hittin 1st instead

Something that I need to practice is keeping the brake pressure consistent whilst blipping. I sometimes push the brakes a little extra when I blip.
Much better than hitting 1st .

I tend to use the side of my foot. In that I twist my ankle to the right to blip when braking.

wil..
Old 09-14-2003, 11:27 PM

I rev match, i don't heel toe though i just blip the throttle with my toes and downshift before/after braking. I can't do it during braking and for some reason my heels cannot seem to reach the pedals when my toe is pressing down onto the brakes.

I don't know why.. maybe it's because all the times i've been trying to heel-toe i wasn't pressing down on the brakes hard enough? Do i have to press down on the brakes hard enough before my heel should be able to reach the accelerator pedal?

I'm not game enough to try, since i never brake that hard and late for a turn. I could always heel-toe in other cars, but not my own ITR cause i just cannot reach the darn thing

And it does sound great, but people look and probably think i'm just revving the car just like a hoon!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 AM

But you are a hoon! I saw how you drove the twisty bits, I was behind you for a section there

wil..
Old 09-15-2003, 04:48 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll try blipping tomorrow ...
Old 09-15-2003, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by MyYellowHonda
I rev match, i don't heel toe though i just blip the throttle with my toes and downshift before/after braking. I can't do it during braking and for some reason my heels cannot seem to reach the pedals when my toe is pressing down onto the brakes.
Get bigger feet Still, I've got small feet and I don't remember having this problem in the ITR. You should be using only your big toe "plus a bit" (what's it called - the "ball" of your foot?) on the brake and rotating your foot anticlockwise so the heel covers the accelerator. It's easiest if you're pushing near the top of the brake pedal, so your heel is not right at the base of the throttle. In my racing car I had some extra metal welded onto the throttle pedal so I can get it more easily or even just by rolling the foot if I want. Before that my foot would slip between the pedals sometimes. Not nice when you're approaching turn 1 and already past your braking point!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:18 AM

Thats the odd thing, i'm size 9 (which for my height is biggish) and it's not THAT small. So i really am confused, i think i'm just doing it wrong. I don't look down there when i try, but when my heel reaches down for the accelerator pedal i just feel nothing.

Only when i'm stopped and in neutral, i'll stab the brake pedal with my toe as hard as i can so it goes all the way down, then my heel can reach the accelerator pedal and blip it. Not much use though when you're just doing it in neutral stand still
Old 09-15-2003, 02:55 PM

So the brake pedal is too high? Any other ITR owners have this problem?
Old 09-15-2003, 03:45 PM

It is a little bit high, I find that you really have to depress the brake pedal to be able to rotate your heel to blip the throttle. On stock pedals the pedals are quite a fair distance apart too.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MyYellowHonda [B] I can't do it during braking and for some reason my heels cannot seem to reach the pedals when my toe is pressing down onto the brakes.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by naishou
[B]So the brake pedal is too high?

Quick Reply: Query on downshifting....