Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Radar/Laser Detector

Old 04-05-2001, 01:11 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the things you have to watch out for is cop cars with Radar Detector detectors. Quite common apparently. My understanding is that you need a model that 'cloaks' (hides) itself from these.

Deciding which detector to buy is a nightmare mainly due to the fact that shonky people seem to associate themselves with these items. Look at some of the web sites and it's pathetic how they carry on about each other.

If I knew which detector was best for Australian driving conditions I'd have one in a flash.
Old 04-05-2001, 04:27 PM

Radardetection.com.au isn't as dodgy as you think, unless you have prove. You shouldn't be saying what you think when it's actually not. Even if they went bankrupt, you have to look at the market reflects in Australia today. The dollar is in free fall and even you wouldn't pay over a grand for a good radar detector, then what more else can be said?

On a personal note, I bought a Valentine One unit from them approximately 3 months back with everything sent to me in order using my credit card. They aren't dodgy and they provide excellent customer service. And they will probably be your only source to ever getting a Valentine One unit. Unless you got some nice friends willing to buy one for you from the States and risk getting it through Customs Australia without getting it confiscated.

I have it mounted on the RHD sun visor side and the concealed unit under the steering column on the left. The only time I use it is at night, in the day time you need your brains to work out where the cops are and that is still your ultimate saver. There are the occasional "Fake Signals" if you set it to arm on all modes, while on the intelligent modes only real radars go off. Cops are located on the either the K or Ka Band only. Never had a laser gone off as yet. But it certainly did save me a couple of times doing speeds past 180 KM/H easily in an S2K.

If you want a radar detector, nothing comes close to the Valentine One unit. The problem these days is getting yourself one. If you're really interested, speak to the guys at radardetection.com.au they will still be your best bet to getting one in Australia without any trouble. If you ain't gonna give them any faith, it ain't gonna get you anywhere at the end of the day.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:20 PM

Takashi,

Thanks for your reply! That is exactly what I was looking for, someone who's actually used the place. I did say things about Radardetection.com.au in some ignorance, I only had hearsay before this. This certainly helps me make a decision
Old 04-08-2001, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
Radardetection.com.au isn't as dodgy as you think, unless you have prove. You shouldn't be saying what you think when it's actually not. Even if they went bankrupt, you have to look at the market reflects in Australia today.
Takashi what state in Oz are you in?

In my experience, I have never had a radar incident at night. I am not saying the local constabulary don't use them then but I am saying that the chance of being picked up is far greater during the day and I would want to use a detector during the daytime.

When you say "never had a laser go off yet" are you suggesting that the detector cannot pick up laser?

I thought, but am happy to stand corrected, that the majority of the mobile speed cameras nowadays are laser NOT radar.
Old 04-08-2001, 02:13 PM

I was looking for a detector device and found this site which seems to explain things in laymans terms with good examples of road tests:

http://www.radartest.com/index.html

Ivor
Old 04-09-2001, 02:59 PM

I'm in NSW, while I'm not indicating that it is harder to get picked up at night. It is however much easier to be spotted using a radar detector in the daytime. With a Valentine One, it's basically sitting on your driver's side sun visor (Mine Anyway) or somewhere else which you might think is a better mounting spot. For me, daytime isn't a problem but night is the real threat.

As for those permanent speed cameras, down in NSW they don't seem to trip off the Valentine One detector so I haven't got a chance to determine which frequency they're on. As for lasers, not lucky enough to hit one mobile unit as yet. But I am confident that the Easter weekend should be quite interesting. I doubt that I will be driving anywhere though, with the crazy stupid laws imposed in NSW for trying to cope with the ever rising road toll. Maybe they don't understand, the more laws you put in place the more people are gonna die. That is a statistic in NSW, not a personal comment.

Oh and, does anyone know how to fix up the location side column on your left. I haven't been smart enough to figure out how to fill out that missing part in agony. Thanks in advance for any help provided, the "Site Info" board is useless as it seems with dumb answers instead of anything real.
Old 04-09-2001, 10:02 PM

As for those permanent speed cameras, down in NSW they don't seem to trip off the Valentine One detector so I haven't got a chance to determine which frequency they're on. As for lasers, not lucky enough to hit one mobile unit as yet. But I am confident that the Easter weekend should be quite interesting.
Please keep us updated. I am very seriously looking into it. A few close calls north of Sydney, where I go quite frquently, got me worried. Mind you I don't go flat out on flat piece of road, I stick tothe limit, it's th etwisty parts that I like to take my ITR to And I am constantly worried about a cop being around.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:54 AM

Oh and, does anyone know how to fix up the location side column on your left. I haven't been smart enough to figure out how to fill out that missing part in agony. Thanks in advance for any help provided, the "Site Info" board is useless as it seems with dumb answers instead of anything real.
Takashi, they've recently updated the profile format and messed up the location field - it is no longer visble for people to update. This needs to be fixed up by the administrators - it's not your problem..
Old 04-11-2001, 03:02 PM

Up North eh? Well seems to me that the most intriguing parts of that road is indeed around the corners. But then again, if you are gonna speed don't ever slow down when a cop tries to pull you over. Not that they are gonna be able to catch you anyway with a good S2K driver behind the wheel, it makes their SS commodores and XR8 falcons look like an absolute joke.

Just remember what I said, if you stop to get booked. You either cop a big fine and some crazy demerit points or you lose it all in one go. Nothing uncommon for an S2K to be in the high speed range. If you evade, there is a more likely chance of getting away with no dramas to follow on. The rule is, all traffic offences other than speed and red light cameras must be infringed on the spot by the officer. Otherwise, it's as good as being not present on the spot.

If you're up North, maybe you should try to tackle the good winding roads I much look into on weekend nights. Galston Gorge, Mooney Mooney, and my favorite home track Wisemen's Ferry. Technical as it ever gonna get, it's a good way to improve your driving skills and test your limits on the car to the very way Honda designed and built the S2K in mind for.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:43 PM

Yeah I look for twisty roads as much as I can! Also, I have a Type R, not an S2000 (that's my next car! ), but I think that the ITR makes the SS and XR8 look like a joke around those really twisty roads too, considering I've managed to take 45 recommended turns at 90+ in pouring rain without any hassles! God bless Honda!

What can happen if the cop radios ahead to get anohter coppper on ya? Should you pull over somewhere and hide or something? (like behind a house or down a dirt road on the side?)

Quick Reply: Radar/Laser Detector