Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Rear Window Mods

Old 12-15-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window Mods

I remember that some time ago there was a thread on a mod that stopped the plastic in the rear window from kinking when putting the roof down but (despite much searching) I can't seem to find it again.

I think it comprised two strips of stronger elastic that pulled the rear window to the right shape/position so it didn't kink.

Does anyone remember this thread and/or where it is? Any help appreciated.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:47 PM

YES. Please link me to this thread. I hate the window kinking all the time. shits me.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:36 PM

This thread hints at it
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=155982&st=75

The one I remember (but still can't find) had actual photos of the product.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 PM

I made some myself.

Get some material type elastic about 1/2 inch wide. Sew some velcro (hook side only) tabs to the ends. Stick to the fuzzy velcro bits on the rear of the roof.

Its best to measure the distance between the tabs on the rear window first, however you can always sew a longer bit of velcro on the ends and stick at the desired tension as required.

I didn't find that it helped my window much, and it kept coming unstuck. I think one of the fuzzy bits ended coming off the roof also. So I don't use these anymore.

Instead, now when I put the roof down, I stop just as the back window is starting to warp in the middle , and then just turn around in my seat and press down on the plastic window, this seems to straighten things out enough.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:58 AM

Didn't Muz have something for this on his site?
Old 12-16-2006, 02:01 PM

Muz had the Velcro roll (tube) which you could put in instead of a towel but it doesn't stop the window kinkiing in the first place. You still have to start to open the roof, get out of the car, give the window a karate chop, get back in the car and then finish lowering the roof. Then if it rains, you've got to get out of the car to put the tube back in the boot.

I've made email contact with Greg (the guy who makes the straps) and invited him to make a post here. I'll certainly order a pair myself, they're great value.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by MattG,Dec 16 2006, 12:16 AM
I made some myself.

Get some material type elastic about 1/2 inch wide. Sew some velcro (hook side only) tabs to the ends. Stick to the fuzzy velcro bits on the rear of the roof.

Its best to measure the distance between the tabs on the rear window first, however you can always sew a longer bit of velcro on the ends and stick at the desired tension as required.

I didn't find that it helped my window much, and it kept coming unstuck. I think one of the fuzzy bits ended coming off the roof also. So I don't use these anymore.

Instead, now when I put the roof down, I stop just as the back window is starting to warp in the middle , and then just turn around in my seat and press down on the plastic window, this seems to straighten things out enough.
Yes I had the elestic and velcro but never got around to it before I got the glass
roof.
I just waited till it started to crease as well and pushed in.
Even easier fi you have a passenger!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

I tried the elastic straps but they didn't work for me unfortunately.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:27 AM

KingAir, let me know if the elastic straps you have need a new home
Old 12-19-2006, 04:11 PM

One way is to push in the window from behind the car is it lowers. This is fine if you are parked somewhere and can get out of the car.

The other way which isn't quite so effective but is still better than nothing is from inside the car, lower the roof about halfway (where it starts to crinkle), put two fingers on the top lip of the back window/roof join and a apply a little downward pressure, this helps to flatten out the crinkle a bit before the roof is folded all the way.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Mods