Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Timing Chain Auto Tensioner?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Auto Tensioner?

Hey guys

Anyone had their timing chain auto tensioner replaced? I had a mate test drive the car on the weekend and he noticed that there was a pronouced ratted on startup when it was warm, and also slightly noticeable when cold. I've always noticed it but sorta lived withed it - thought it was just one of those quirks

It sounds like a clacking sound - i've looked through the boards and alot of guys in the US say its the timing chain tensioner.

Its a Honda now getting a service, and I told the rep about the problem, but he says ithe tensioner is fine - even though he got the process to repeat the symptoms totally wrong, and didnt bother to write down anything other then rattle on start up. The guys int he US also mentioned that you cnat really check the tensioner to see if its going.

Should i trust the boards or the rep??? Anyone had a similar problem? I'm thiinking i should just tell him to change it, as i dont want to sell a car to a mate then have the motor in pieces if the tensioner fails.

THoughts?

Cheers
Old 05-30-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're fairly sure it's the tensioner then replace it. I would definitely trust my judgement and the advice of this board over a Honda rep. When my CVs were worn the rep said it was my aftermarket sparkplugs.

It's a fairly painless job if you want to do it yourself. I would also be interested to know the cost of the part.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:05 PM

This may be irrelevant but my old Commodore wagon had what I think seem to be similar symptoms and the rattling turned out to be the bearings in the thermo fan.

p.s I think I may have asked you this before but is that really your car list or your family's? Interesting that you bought the 320 cab even though you have the S2000 for top down driving.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,May 31 2006, 09:44 AM
If you're fairly sure it's the tensioner then replace it. I would definitely trust my judgement and the advice of this board over a Honda rep. When my CVs were worn the rep said it was my aftermarket sparkplugs.

It's a fairly painless job if you want to do it yourself. I would also be interested to know the cost of the part.
Thats what i was thinking, ill give them a call and tell them to do it, and ill let you know on the price.

The cars are mine, but the clk which is a reminant from my brother whos overseas. It rarely gets driven, not because its his, but because its probably one of the most excruciatingly boring, uninvolving cars i have ever driven in my life. Plan to sell that soon too hopefully
Old 05-30-2006, 05:16 PM

My car has this noise too and I will replace the auto chain tensioner when it's back on the road. The sound is very unique; likes a card through the bicycle wheel spokes. There are not many things in the car that could make this sound. I bought 2 tensioners from hardtopguy. I can't remember the exact cost but it was not expensive. The replacement job seems very easy too.

How many km have you done on the s?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 PM

Just got off the phone with honda... the rep quoted around $1000ish to change it, said that the timing chain etc had to be removed, even though i didnt think thats the case. He was adamant that a "road tester" had tested it and found not fault.

They are putting in writing that they have checked it and its not faulty etc, so im willing to leave it at that although im still quite uneasy about it all.

###### ing Honda
Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by honda9krpm,May 31 2006, 11:16 AM
My car has this noise too and I will replace the auto chain tensioner when it's back on the road. The sound is very unique; likes a card through the bicycle wheel spokes. There are not many things in the car that could make this sound. I bought 2 tensioners from hardtopguy. I can't remember the exact cost but it was not expensive. The replacement job seems very easy too.

How many km have you done on the s?
30,000k's - i'm probably going to find someone else to replace the part, just to be sure as im almost certain that tats the problem, and im certain it shouldnt cost that much.

As for doing it myself, i did my aem myself but im not too confident on doing the chain tensioner.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MushuC,May 31 2006, 11:24 AM
Just got off the phone with honda... the rep quoted around $1000ish to change it
LOL, for that money I'll fly to Melbourne, stay in a 5 star hotel and change it on the side of Collins St wearing nothing but a pink G-string in the middle of winter.

For an extra $250 I put my clothes back on.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,May 31 2006, 11:35 AM
LOL, for that money I'll fly to Melbourne, stay in a 5 star hotel and change it on the side of Collins St wearing nothing but a pink G-string in the middle of winter.

For an extra $250 I put my clothes back on.
my thoughts exactly, well apart from the pink g-string bit
Old 05-31-2006, 05:46 AM

my car makes the sound too..

only when starting it up cold..

what's the deal? no f*n way i'm paying more cash to service this thing...

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Auto Tensioner?