Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

U-S-A...U-S-A....U-S-A.... errrrrr

Old 08-13-2006, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-S-A...U-S-A....U-S-A.... errrrrr

Wow.....

http://www.citypages.com/databank/26...ticle12985.asp

Just a small sample......

Twenty percent of Americans think the sun orbits the earth. Seventeen percent believe the earth revolves around the sun once a day (The Week, Jan. 7, 2005).
An empire that must borrow $2 billion a day from its competitors in order to function.

Japan, China, Taiwan, and South Korea hold 40 percent of our government debt. (That's why we talk nice to them.) "By helping keep mortgage rates from rising, China has come to play an enormous and little-noticed role in sustaining the American housing boom" (NYT, Dec. 4, 2004). Read that twice. We owe our housing boom to China, because they want us to keep buying all that stuff they manufacture.
Bush: 62,027,582 votes. Kerry: 59,026,003 votes. Number of eligible voters who didn't show up: 79,279,000 (NYT, Dec. 26, 2004). That's more than a third. Way more. If more than a third of Iraqis don't show for their election, no country in the world will think that election legitimate.
"Americans are now spending more money on gambling than on movies, videos, DVDs, music, and books combined" (The European Dream, p.28).
"Nearly one out of four Americans [believe] that using violence to get what they want is acceptable" (The European Dream, p.32).
Forty-three percent of Americans think torture is sometimes justified, according to a PEW Poll (Associated Press, Aug. 19, 2004).
Old 08-13-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just keep in mind, 75% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:34 PM

And of those statistics not made up 90% are done with samples of the population that are so small you may as well make up the results.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 PM

I reckon they probably did the polls outside the Jerry Springer show.

It is very easy to vilify a culture. Just requires will and ignorance.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:22 PM

From Friday's 'Crikey' missive:

"Islamic terrorists have been prevented from committing mass murder and destruction by the excellent work of the British police forces. Australia must now look to its homeland security as well. Our skies must be kept safe.

Now is the time to be honest about Islamic profiling. It is Muslim plane passengers who pose the terrorist threat to Australians. Not all Muslim passengers, but certainly some of them. Australia desperately needs an adequate identity card system. Religion should be stated on the ID card. This will increase the chances of identification of Islamic terrorists. No flight tickets could then be purchased without proper ID.

Australia cannot risk the lives of its citizens in some sort of game of Islamic Roulette. We know with absolute certainty that terrorists will come from the Muslim community. It is in our interest and theirs that Islamic terrorist attacks do not occur. Part of the price Muslims will have to pay is profiling.

Australian Muslim leaders must admit publicly that the terrorist threat comes from their people. Those leaders must support effective profiling procedures that will protect Muslims and the rest of Australians.

For too long, Political Correctness has forced us to look away and pretend that Muslims are not the threat. We must now acknowledge the threat of radical Islam in Australia before it is too late.

Surely all of Islamic Australia wants nothing more than a peaceful, terror-free Australia where we can all live in tolerance and harmony. I certainly do. Accordingly, Muslims must embrace profiling until this crisis is over. (And please do not rush to call me a racist
Old 08-13-2006, 02:52 PM

It's not the muslims, it's the bloody Jedis. They just say they are muslims. You can never tell which ones have gone to the dark side.

I totally disagree with ID cards. It is too high a price to pay for fear reduction and is the first step towards a police state.

Also, racial/cultural stereotyping might sound like a good idea, but how do you enforce it? It's just as easy to appear westernised as it is to claim to be a different religion. How often do you see a muslim women in a head covering saying, "Does this make my bomb look big?".

Further, by singling out anyone who looks like what we expect a terrorst to look like (hairy and tanned) we are just building a bigger divide between middle-Australia and our middle-eastern residents.

I met a lebanese family on the weekend and they were lovely. Husband and wife and 9 month old baby. Still practicing their religion but in no way a threat or burden on this country as I could see it. And nice hospitable people. I hate to think they would be singled out becasue of their appearance for extra scrutiny. I hate to think that their daughter would get caught up in this racial/cultural divide that we seems to keen to perpetuate.

I have never met a muslim or middle eastern person who hasn't welcomed me to their culture. One of the pillars of Islam is hospitality. I think this is a much better approach to solving the problem. Embrace and welcome the culture. Enjoy it's many positive aspects. If people of muslim/middle eastern origin feel welcome they are far less likely to follow radical and hate filled teachings. They are far more likely to expose and expunge the radical groups we all have in our cultures.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:38 PM

I think fear of invasion of privacy over ID cards is exagerated. Sure, the technology is potentially there to track every breath you take. The reality is that it is very impractical to try and do that. You'd have to install card readers every couple of blocks and that just isn't gonna happen.

As far as profiling muslims goes I think it is stupid. Australian authorities should take a look a the last 40 odd years in Colombia. Terrorists guerrilas have been going at it and every time the govt has done any kind of profiling the terrorists have changed their methods/recruitment grounds and within a couple of years they are back to square 1. Just last week a University lecturer and high ranking Public Utilities Company employee was caught red handed planning a car bomb attack. The guy didn't fit any profile ever made and went undetected for years.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:46 PM

The problem with ID cards is not the cards themselves, but the legislation that brows with them. All of a sudden you can't travel without them (and that's what we're talking about ne pas?). Then you're required to have them on you at all times. Etc.

Every totalitarian regime has a nice ID system.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:47 PM

Remember the Oklahoma Bombing. FBI rounded up all the muslims. Turned out it was white trash by the name of Timothy McVeigh.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Aug 14 2006, 09:47 AM
Remember the Oklahoma Bombing. FBI rounded up all the muslims. Turned out it was white trash by the name of Timothy McVeigh.
I know, I know. But, generally, it does seem to be people who call themselves 'Islamic' who are perpetrating most of the current-day crazy shit.

Just like one Muslim terrorist does not mean they're all terrorists, you can't say "McVeigh was a white Christian, ergo it's a waste of time giving Muslims particular attention".

Hmmmm maybe this should end here. It's starting to get a bit controversial.

Quick Reply: U-S-A...U-S-A....U-S-A.... errrrrr