Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Used cars for around $3k

Old 01-19-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kturkey,Jan 20 2006, 09:37 AM
One option I have is to pick up a VR Berlina that runs on gas
One minor thing to keep in mind, from 2008 the govt will start charging excise on LPG- i think it's going to start at 2.5c/l and increase yearly by that same amount until 2012 when it will be 12.5c/l. So, it won't be quite as cheap as it currently is.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are also all sorts of issues with having work done on LPG vehicles and getting them through rego. Possibly more hassle than it's worth.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 PM

Hi 2kturkey,

I was in sort of a same situation and last week I bought my son a 1991 Mazda 626 eclipse hatch for $2000. The car is in beautiful condition and I only needed front brake pads when I did the roadworthy. The car has done 284,000km but they were hot miles as the previous onwer travelled 150km per day. It has cruise control, electic windows and side mirrors, perfect aircond plus swivelling vents, alloy whesl, 9 months reg, new tyres, 2.2 litre fuel injection and the list goes on. In fact I love driving it as it has 5 speed manual. Car floats all over the place though with power steering

...and here is the problem, my son still drives my S2000

So my suggestion is buy yourself one of these cars and give your son the S2000 and that way Mum will be happy, your son will be happy and you..........????

All the best

Perry
Old 01-19-2006, 09:35 PM

Thanks guys, more great input.

In response to a couple of points.

1. I'm not sure about the percentage of dwarves in Law - I'll have to go along to one of his classes and check out the student population. Interestingly enough, I did see a dwarf on a HD motorcycle yesterday. He'd lowered the seat such that it was lower than the height of the rear wheel, I don't know where he expected Snow White to sit though.

2. Yep, I was aware of the planned 'import parity' excises for LPG. Even so, it's currently only 40% of the price of petrol in Melbourne and this Berlina (which belongs to a friend) was fitted with LPG ex-factory since new so I don't expect any RWC isues with it.

3. Perry, how are you? Sounds like a great deal you did on the Mazda - maybe I'm better off looking at a country vehicle. My son can't drive the S2000 though, my insurance policy won't cover a driver under 25 - how do you manage it?
Old 01-19-2006, 10:02 PM

If I was looking at an old cheap car I would always buy based on the condition of the vehicle. i.e. get a schmik example of a slightly less desirable vehicle rather than a ratty example of a more desirable vehicle. Someone at work is selling her Daewoo Leganza (more than your 3k budget), the thing has done 100k and looks almost showroom condition. You want one of those
Old 01-20-2006, 02:17 AM

Check out what your/his insurance policy says about using the car to deliver pizzas if it is insured for "private use" only.

One of my first cars was a Ford Laser (89 model) it was a great car.
I also owned a Mazda 323 Astina. I didn't have troubles with either of them.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2kturkey,Jan 20 2006, 04:35 PM
3. Perry, how are you? Sounds like a great deal you did on the Mazda - maybe I'm better off looking at a country vehicle. My son can't drive the S2000 though, my insurance policy won't cover a driver under 25 - how do you manage it?
I am great thanks 2kturkey. I have been busy with work, kids and my new hobby is photography and thats why I have not been involved much with the local S2000 club.

BTW I bought my car in Melbounre from a good friend of mine.

I insure through CGU and being in the country it cost me about $1000 and both my daughter and son can drive it even when they were on L plates. However if I insure to AAMI the cost would be between 600-700 but drivers must be 30 or over.

Living in the country the premium is a lot cheaper too.

Looks like your family is growing up too. How are all of them.

Perry
Old 01-20-2006, 07:12 PM

Yep, more good points you are making guys.

Tafka, my son agrees with you - he doesn't give a damn about the body work as he knows he'll have a couple of scrapes - it just has to be in reasonable shape to pass a roadworthy (i.e. no loose panels or sharp edges protruding. That's also why my questions are really related to reliability, we all know some vehicles are notorious for specific problems (e.g. holes in roof and gearboxes on S2ks - whoops ) so I am trying to determine what to look for when we go for test drives.

Matt, that's a good point re insurance for delivery work - I'll check that out. On the subject of Lasers/323s I'd like to think we could pick up a reasonably reliable capri but for some reason, even though they have the same running gear, Capris seem to be notorious lemons.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:23 PM

Hi Perry, I have seen a few examples of your photography on this site - you seem to be progresing very well.

I heard the bad new yesterday that my newly purchased Konica-Minolta camera is now an orphan after the camera arm was sold to Sony. Sad to hear it's the end of an era.

Like you, I am no longer a club member and my focus has returned back to motorcycles. I'm even riding the bike to work, rather than driving, and it's much quicker and more pleasant, especially in peak hour.

If you can buy a vehicle from a friend it is always better to buy a known quantity, that's why I have been looking at the VR.

Yes, I am with AAMI - $900 a year for the S2k. I'll check CGU and others to see what they can offer. The only problem with changing companies is that I have had a fairly colourful licence period over the last 3 years and I am sure to be whacked a premium for that (whereas with AAMI they just kep renewing and don't ask any questions).

My 18yo is now in tertiary studies, I have 2 more years of secondary school fees for my daughter and then I can afford to relax a little. Meanwhile, my wife's tennis game is steadily improving.......
Old 01-21-2006, 01:55 AM

Not sure if it aired down your way but a guy had a claim rejected because of his driving record turkey. Just FYI.

Quick Reply: Used cars for around $3k