Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

The 2012 Indycar Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 224 Likes on 78 Posts
Default The 2012 Indycar Thread

Since i didn't see anything for next year's Indycar series, i figure i start a thread....

i read yesterday that Newman Haas will not race the 2012 season. News here
http://www.newman-haas.com/news2011....rticipation-82
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I saw that too. Too bad how the economic scene is impacting everything. Hopefully they'll be back soon.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Received 1,190 Likes on 917 Posts

Get all your IndyCar news here:

http://www.indycar.com/
Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 1,190 Likes on 917 Posts

IndyCar coming back to Auto Club Speedway September 15 (at night):

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Tick...R-Weekend.aspx
Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 224 Likes on 78 Posts

Newman Haas are looking into fielding one or two prototypes in ALMS for 2012.
Sato is/has interviewed with Rahal Letterman
Old 12-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was reading up Gordon Kirby's column and there are some interesting comments about the 2012 car, arguing that the new car is only a small improvement over the outgoing 2011 car:

Ashmore has a bleak view of the process that took place in last year's contest for IndyCar's 2012 car. He believes each of the contestants was used unethically by IndyCar and Dallara to produce the new car.

"In my view the way they went about it was quite dishonest. All of us competing car builders had to sign our ideas away. All our ideas went into a pot and we had to sign a document saying that if we didn't win the contract they kept our ideas.

"That's one thing, but the sad part is they awarded the contract to a racing car building company in Italy who are just building another in a range of racing cars. It's a lot like their other cars and they're not using all the ideas that we put forward. They're only scratching the surface and, as I say, making a five percent step. They completely ignored a lot of what we suggested. They've just done what they felt like.

"All of our ideas and Lola's ideas and Swift's and the Delta Wing group's ideas went in and they took our ideas to make this new car. But they only took a small portion of them so that they've only made a five percent step. So what's the point?"
Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I'm disappointed in the new car. I want to understand with all the money thrown at Dallara (including the state of Indiana), how can the produce a car that's marginally faster than the previous car. Considering the Swift that Formula Nippon uses is a lot faster around Motegi, can we just call an audible and use that car with different wings, and slightly more power?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eiwoh316
I guess I'm disappointed in the new car. I want to understand with all the money thrown at Dallara (including the state of Indiana), how can the produce a car that's marginally faster than the previous car. Considering the Swift that Formula Nippon uses is a lot faster around Motegi, can we just call an audible and use that car with different wings, and slightly more power?
Great question in an otherwise dreary thread! The 2012 car is currently woefully out of balance (CG) wise. Last years car had a prop tip al CG of 48/52. The DM12 is coming in at 44/56. This means that 4 percent of the weight has to move up from last years model. Most likely due to the new rear guards. Dan Wheldon wS a weight jacking Maestro and so this issue was masked in initial testing - god bless DW. With Franchitii and Kanaan at the wheel the car is heading to the wall on exit and hence the lifting PDF the throttle. So back to the 4 percent. Lots of finger pointing going on. The quickest so.union is to go to a magnesium bell housing..... $. So teams are pissed S the cost and performance are now both in question. Could be an interesting open this year in St.Pete. I can confirm that the new Lotus PlNt (Judd) is making great power andfita week in the new chassis. I' sure the Honda will as well. Can't speak to the other though .

Utah
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ENGINE MANUFACTURERS UPDATE

Chevrolet: Chevrolet could have one additional engine supply contract to announce next month.

Chevrolet’s Confirmed 2012 Teams:

• Andretti Autosport (2 to 4 cars)
• KV Racing (3 cars)
• Panther Racing (1 to 2 cars)
• Team Penske (3 cars)

Honda: Honda has at least one team lease announcement remaining, with a second growing closer to becoming a reality. We’re told any/all announcements will come in December, at the earliest.

Honda’s Confirmed 2012 Teams:

• A.J. Foyt Racing (1 car)
• Sam Schmidt Motorsports (1-2 cars)
• Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (2 cars)
• Target Chip Ganassi Racing/Ganassi Racing (4 cars)

Lotus: Lotus could provide engines for any/all of the teams still in need of a powerplant.

Lotus’ Confirmed 2012 Teams:

• Bryan Herta Autosport (1 car)
• Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (2 cars)
• HVM Racing (1 car)
• Michael Shank Racing (1 car)

Teams Without A Confirmed Engine Contract:

• Conquest Racing (1 car)
• Dale Coyne Racing (2 cars)
• Dragon Racing (1 car)
• Ed Carpenter Racing (1 car)
• Sarah Fisher Racing (1 car)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just saw Versus is now officially NBC Sports. Hopefully this will help get it on more cable plans so people can actually watch the races.

Quick Reply: The 2012 Indycar Thread