Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Did Renault spy on Ferrari?

Old 05-10-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did Renault spy on Ferrari?

German newspapers have published news that Renault may have used spy technology to listen to the secret and intern conversations at Ferrari. Apparently the FIA has been told about this but won't react before they can find solid evidence.

So, do all teams broadcast in code?

Are their rules saying you can't intercept transmissions or is this just yet one more high tech way of getting the upper hand?

And before we fry Renault, let's se if the accusations are true, you know, the ole innocent until proven guilty...

Old 05-10-2006, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things here.

- story reported by Bild I believe which is a known trashrag.
- I'm sure that every one of the top teams engages in this
- there has been anecdotal discussion for years now on teams using laser mics and such to listen in on motorhomes and it doesn't surprise me one bit
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 AM

FRY THEM!!!!!!!!!

I always find it funny that it's Ferrari cheating yet everyone spy's on Ferrari...somehow Ferrari are always at the centre....
Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 AM

Yo Dark Leader, I like Shane
Old 05-10-2006, 04:40 AM

I don't think they're talking so much about pit/driver communication - all that is open and monitored to prevent "team orders" so a lot of what we hear on the radio is in code. Though there's no mistaking Fisi's radio, "You are on the same fuel and tires as Alonso. You cannot be 2 seconds slower mate."

I would really be surprised if the teams didn't spy on each other.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:36 AM
Banned

Speed TV made notice of a Renault guy on pit wall with Binoculers and said he was watching "something" at Ferrari, and also said that there was talk that they cracked a Ferrari code.

If this is SOME of the evidence, then it was on worldwide television.

It would be GODDAMNED beautiful for Renault to lose all there 06 points

IF that happened as it should IF they are found guilty of cheating this would be current drivers and constructor standing:

DRIVER

MS 35
KR 29
JPM 21
FM 20
JB 19
RS 11
RB 9

CONSTRUCTORS

Ferrari 55
McLaren 50
Honda 28
BMW 18

AND JB would have had his 1st win at Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! remeber he finished 3rd.. ban 1st and 2nd.......JB wins!!! and I will take a win ANY way possible

Oh PLEASE FIA ban them unibrow Frogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Marco,May 10 2006, 05:36 AM
Speed TV made notice of a Renault guy on pit wall with Binoculers and said he was watching "something" at Ferrari, and also said that there was talk that they cracked a Ferrari code.
i saw and heard that also on speeds race coverage. the question is, are they breaking a fia rule in doing so?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ytdlite,May 10 2006, 09:13 AM
the question is, are they breaking a fia rule in doing so?
Exactly!

Ohio Marco is jumping off a bridge a tad too early. I don't see the FIA stripping Renault of their points. Listening in to another's communication and using binoculers is nothing like lying through your teeth about a double gas tank design...
Old 05-10-2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ytdlite,May 10 2006, 09:13 AM
i saw and heard that also on speeds race coverage. the question is, are they breaking a fia rule in doing so?
The Renault engineer with the binoculars had a stopwatch in hand to watch the fuel rig. To suggest that Renault is the only team to do this is extremely naive IMO. When Renault had their incredible launch control system around, members of every team would crowd around recording video and audio whenever the Renault was doing practice starts - there is nothing illegal about this.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Triple-H,May 10 2006, 09:29 AM] Exactly!

Ohio Marco is jumping off a bridge a tad too early. I don't see the FIA stripping Renault of their points. Listening in to another's communication and using

Quick Reply: Did Renault spy on Ferrari?