Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Did Renault spy on Ferrari?

Old 05-10-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marco,May 10 2006, 09:51 AM
Doug I know its been a LONG time since you were in school, But do you remember the meaning of the word, IF?????

I jumped No where, I was just saying IF, and IF that is what current points would look like

Once again your hoping it doesnt come to furwishion, but dont be pissed Dougie, you still have 3 other Favorite teams, and 1 of them is battleing for title

Us people who only cheer 1 team, might have a reason to worry if our 1 and only team were to be in trouble with the FIA. You jump down my neck about the fuel tank from LAST year... did I mention it?? did I accuse Renault of cheating???
did I not use the word IF????

Jesus your reaction is that of a guilty person.... why would you attack an IF statement from a person who said NOTHING out of line unless you had fears it might be true??
You really are too tightly wound...

IF? That's just it, I don't see how IF could even apply as do several others.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Using binoculars and a stopwatch to time another team's refueling is a complete non-issue, IMO.

Corporate espionage to learn trade secrets is likely a criminal matter depending on the laws of whatever jurisdiction it falls under. I have no clue whether one team listening on another team's radio communications (before, during, after the race, at the track, at the factory, in the boardroom, at the technical director's home, whatever) could be classified as such.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Balzz,May 10 2006, 06:31 AM
The Renault engineer with the binoculars had a stopwatch in hand to watch the fuel rig. To suggest that Renault is the only team to do this is extremely naive IMO. When Renault had their incredible launch control system around, members of every team would crowd around recording video and audio whenever the Renault was doing practice starts - there is nothing illegal about this.
thats the point, what rule is broken by observing, listening and timing an opponents activites. charlie whiting(a former f1 rule bender) and max mosely will have a hard time proving a rule is being broken here. f1 teams are like a reliegon, they work in mysterious ways.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ytdlite,May 10 2006, 10:58 AM
f1 teams are like a reliegon, they work in mysterious ways.

That has got to be an all time classic line! Well done lite.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,May 10 2006, 11:55 AM
Corporate espionage to learn trade secrets is likely a criminal matter depending on the laws of whatever jurisdiction it falls under. I have no clue whether one team listening on another team's radio communications (before, during, after the race, at the track, at the factory, in the boardroom, at the technical director's home, whatever) could be classified as such.
there is no espionage going-on.

"espionage involves obtaining the information by accessing the place where the information is stored or accessing the people who know the information and will divulge it through some kind of subterfuge."
Old 05-10-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ytdlite,May 10 2006, 09:13 AM
i saw and heard that also on speeds race coverage. the question is, are they breaking a fia rule in doing so?
FIA rule - I don't know...but it would be a criminal rule as it would be like stealing corporate secrets.

If it is true, I would rather have the FIA come down rather than the law.....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Balzz,May 10 2006, 09:31 AM
The Renault engineer with the binoculars had a stopwatch in hand to watch the fuel rig. To suggest that Renault is the only team to do this is extremely naive IMO. When Renault had their incredible launch control system around, members of every team would crowd around recording video and audio whenever the Renault was doing practice starts - there is nothing illegal about this.
That is different than cracking an encryption code...video/audio is public domain. Encrypted data is private.....
Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by matrix,May 10 2006, 04:24 PM
That is different than cracking an encryption code...video/audio is public domain. Encrypted data is private.....
Agreed, but that's a part of the story the really takes away from the credibility. To crack an encryption scheme in realtime these days...I just don't see that being possible. I'm sure F1 teams aren't using weak encryption either.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:34 PM

True, but not impossible if they "stole" or were given the key (not saying they did) it would make it much easier ....

So the question becomes if I was trying to crack to code is it still breaking the law? I would say yes - it would be the same as trying to break into someone's house but being caught before you made it in....
Old 05-10-2006, 03:12 PM

Temporal key rotation! Good question about the legality of cracking a cypher. Trying to google the info but there's a lot out there.

Quick Reply: Did Renault spy on Ferrari?