Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

F1 race in Montreal June '06

Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone is giving. Most of this stuff I probably never would have thought of, seeing as I haven't been to Montreal in about 10 years. I plan on taking my time, probably taking Monday off from work so we don't have to rush out with the crowds.

i used to go but now its simply a 'dump' to me
over inflated ticket prices to sit on a bench
poorly organized in how they set up minimal exits for thousands of people..
you end up sitting next to people who know claim to know everything and anything about F1
then u have the ginos from woodbridge wearing their cheap Ferrari branded non authentic stuff pestering anything that resembles a woman
simply too many "wanabe's" around..
The negative things you mentioned sound like pretty much every other professional sporting event in the world. It's almost a given that you'll have to deal with a bunch of a-holes when you get that many people together. It sucks, but I was sorta counting on that ahead of time.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting bit of news for you to swallow...

Public Holiday Rule May Spell Disaster for Canadian Business

The weekend of the Canadian grand prix is shaping up to be a formula for disaster for Montreal businesses.

The annual race on nearby Ile Notre Dame sparks a tourist frenzy in the downtown city, with even the nightlife-wary drivers often spotted checking out the atmosphere on streets like 'Rue Ste Catherine'.

However, while it sounds like fun, businesses are ruing the 'Fete Nationale' public holiday in late June, which will force shops to close on the busiest and most lucrative Saturday of the year.

Some shops, like sports and F1 souvenir outlets, are traditionally open throughout GP-week from early morning until 3am, the Montreal-based 'CBC' publication wrote.

Canada got a new date on the 2006 calendar as F1 bosses tried to dodge clashes with the soccer World Cup in Germany.

''(The government) should make an exception (to the public holiday rule),'' said shop owner Santana Enrique.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modul...topic=8&catid=0
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Banned

Simon has told me his feelings on the CAN gp before... What funny is if you think montreal is a shit box.. check out Indy!!!
To be honest, After seeing Imola, Indy, montreal, Melbourne
They are all run down and kinda crappy. It seems only the new circuits have new and modern style that fits the F1 Circus. BUT, In my experience, Imola old, beat up, but to see that people have vinyards INSIDE the circuit, to see people having family parties as F1 cars steam by is all of a sudden, not crappy.
Mel is a great city..great atmosphere so even though track is well..crappy, the rest uplifts you
Montreal.. i agree the track, island etc kinda crap, BUT Montreal is voted the BEST city on earth..
Now, Indy.. try not to slip on cow crap, and face it.. if Indy was SO great, David Letterman would have stayed in Indy and kept doing the weather!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:45 AM

Montreal is a terrific city. The atmosphere in the week leading up to the GP is awesome. If you don't think so, you're not partying the way you should. You can't let the people around you bring you down. With 100,000 + people at the GP, of course there will be a bunch who are complete idiots but oh well.

That being said, i'm still planning to see a GP at Monaco and Spa one of these days.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:47 AM

and sorry Marco, I don't have any more info on the site that gave good listings on Montreal hotels.. I can tell you that I've always stayed at the L'Hotel De La Montagne..
http://www.hoteldelamontagne.com/index1.php?lang=en
Old 04-06-2006, 06:54 AM

I used to reserve my hotel rooms in the fall as soon as dates are announced. It can be very tough to find an available room. Thankfully, I'm crashing with a friend of mine this year and won't be shelling out 300/night at a hotel.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Marco,Apr 6 2006, 08:48 AM
What funny is if you think montreal is a shit box.. check out Indy!!!
Now, Indy.. try not to slip on cow crap, and face it.. if Indy was SO great, David Letterman would have stayed in Indy and kept doing the weather!!!
Well I guess it is all about your expectations, and clearly different people have different expectations. For myself I happen to love Indy because they make it so easy for the fans to enjoy the race. I don't go to a race to check into a five star hotel, obviously some do. For me going to a race is all about taking in every second of track activity as I can. I judge the venue based upon the quality of the seat and the ease to get in and out of the track each day. I have never been downtown to the city itself, and honestly can't think of any good reason to do so.

This was my 2005 set up. My new Titan was delivered late so I had to borrow my Mom's outback. In the background you can see the section my seat was in, I just love being this close tot he track. And let me just say, some of the meals that were served out of the back of that Outback were just down right extraordinary, I especially recall the night I had Salmon and steamed asparagus with a light hollandaise sauce.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:26 PM

I have been going to Montreal for the past 4 years, and I enjoy it very much, but the worst thing about it is the hotel situation (I now book a room at the Marriot every year as soon as I can, usually reserving a space on the way out of town the day after the race (you can access the Metro -- what they call their subway -- from the hotel itself). The first year I went I did not make my reservation until April and had to stay at the Maritime Plaza, which has very nice rooms on the top two floors, but they are as expensive as staying in a 4 star hotel, and the rest of the hotel caters to the senior citizen bus tour trade.

You might be able to find some rooms on Expedia.com but expect to pay for at least three nights. There are lots of smaller hotels and you do not want to stay at the airport, as all of the fun is in the downtown.

The City is a lot of fun to visit, and has great bars and places to eat. You can get a three day Metro pass for about $13, and really that is about all you need to get around downtown and to the race.

Be prepared to walk a bit, as the metro station to go to the race is on an Island next to the island with the circuit on it. I sit right on the S/F line and those seats are a pain in the ass to get to as they are the farthest from the metro station.

Last year was scary hot and humid, but I think that was unusual because the other years I went there it was very nice weather.

The food at the track is quite limited in variety compared to say Indy, where you can get not only a hamburger or a hot dog, but also a pork tenderloin, chicken fingers, or sandwich, a philly cheesesteak, a turkey leg, pizza, even crab ragoon (if you are braver than me), but I think Montreal have the best hot dogs of any race track or sporting arena I have been to -- cooked on a grill and they toast the buns just enough to give the seasame seeds a nice flavor -- so I am happy eating a hot dog in Montreal.

If you want to buy any F1 merchandise, visit the tent city of vendors the first day you are there as everything will be sold out unless you want to buy a small t-shirt.

You do not want to have any place to be shortly after the race, as the line for the metro backs up and is very long, but do not decide to walk to downtown over the bridges, as it is a much longer walk than it appears.

If you are a true F1 fan, you will go to Montreal and then Indy the next weekend -- that is what I do.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by karwath,Apr 6 2006, 07:26 PM
If you are a true F1 fan, you will go to Montreal and then Indy the next weekend -- that is what I do.
Nice!

Oh if I only had 5 weeks of vacation per year...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:03 AM

You do not want to have any place to be shortly after the race, as the line for the metro backs up and is very long, but do not decide to walk to downtown over the bridges, as it is a much longer walk than it appears.
Looks like I'll hafta take the next day off work so I can take my time getting out. Damn, what a shame.....

Quick Reply: F1 race in Montreal June '06