Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Good Overview of MS' driving career

Old 04-20-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Apr 20 2006, 01:52 PM
Spoken like a man who has followed F1 for more than a season...
I hate agreeing with you!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ITR Racer,Apr 20 2006, 12:35 PM
I think AS is the best of all time but it's hard to argue with MS's numbers.
LOL

yeah, no shit, eh?

if you can't gauge success by numbers, then what do you gauge them by?

Old 04-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Apr 20 2006, 02:48 PM

You said based on his accomplishments, he's the best driver any of us will have seen in our lifetimes - this is impossible to dispute.

I understand you are talking about his stats and yes, his numbers are clearly way out in front of AS.
that's right...yes, they are.

what you are trying to debate is a tangent of my 2nd point...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ITR Racer,Apr 20 2006, 11:35 AM
It's funny how the greats learn from each other. I see some of the greatness in MS that i saw in AS. Unfortunately, i don't put anyone else in this category including Prost. I see some of MS now in FA. Yeah, i know its incredibly early to say that but you can see some of the skill.
One year ago was when FA truly made my jaw drop. His ability to hold off MS for 12 laps in a quicker car by driving smart, understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the machinery (both his and his opponents) qualified him as something special.

We'll never know if AS or MS is "greater" but AS certainly embodies the spirit of racing to me.

Numbers eh? Nimesh must be a baseball fan.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Apr 20 2006, 01:48 PM
This is all very subtle, and I'm not sure if you are going to get it or even if I'm able to properly put it into words, but I cannot stand by and see MS elevated to a position of indisputable superiority, when it is disputable.
This bears repeating.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Comparing athletes, especially from different eras, is always tough and mostly just gives folks something to talk about. I unfortunately wasn't watching F1 when Senna raced. MS is surely a great driver, will go down in history as such, and surely has lots of records. But "best" will always be debatable.

Meanwhile, as much as I want to see Honda and JB do well, I am enjoying watching FA, who surely has that something that sets him apart from others.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:33 PM

in ms f1 career he has driven against at least 6 other wc, np, as, dh, mh, fa and jv. he has won and lost races to these drivers. it is not until the completion of the ferrari package tailored to ms did we get the blow out seasons. other f1 team/driver combos have also achieved this level of competiveness in the past and we see it now with the renault package. a little bit more luck and the kr/mclaren team would be the dominate force. one thing ms does have a hellav alot of is luck, above his skill and desire to win is the uncanny "i sold my soul to the devil" good fortune on the race track. i think ms is great, but senna was fantastic and i was always cheering for those red car, wish he was driving them.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Apr 20 2006, 03:09 PM
if you can't gauge success by numbers, then what do you gauge them by?
Before you were married did you assign girls numbers for their degree of success in bed with you? Not all things in life can be boiled down and synthesized into a numerical evaluation.

Having been a huge devoted AS fan, the kind of fan who broke down and cried at his death, I can say to me one of the differences between MS and AS is exemplified by MS's amazingly analytical, calculated, precise mental power; the man seems to have a computer for a brain. That to me is the opposite of AS, he was just plain fire and passion, damn the logic, go for it, make it work, figure it out in the moment.

An analogy for ya- MS would stand on the edge of a bridge and contemplate all the potential outcomes of jumping and where best to jump from and how is the best way to fall and what's the best place to land, and all that would process through his head in a second. AS would just jump off the bridge nd during the fall would somehow make it all work out. In the end they would both be on the ground and walking away, but their approach and their methodology is just not something you can evaluate with the intention of assigning one as superior.

You see, I get all passionate when Senna is involved, I can
Old 04-21-2006, 04:51 AM

Just on a tangent, since Imola has a corner in his name, fire and passion are reasons I wish I had seen Gilles race.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Balzz,Apr 21 2006, 07:51 AM
Just on a tangent, since Imola has a corner in his name, fire and passion are reasons I wish I had seen Gilles race.
Shane, please don't get me started...

Consider for a moment had someone gotten me into F1 all of these races woulds have been a nice 90 minute drive away. Okay, so maybe I could not go to the spread from '61 to '64, but clearly in '65 as I was 5 I could have been taken. And then the years of '76 to '80 I could have driven there myself and saw Gilles win in '79. If only...

YEAR PLACE WINNER
1961 Watkins Glen Ireland
1962 Watkins Glen Clark
1963 Watkins Glen G. Hill
1964 Watkins Glen G. Hill
1965 Watkins Glen G. Hill
1966 Watkins Glen Clark
1967 Watkins Glen Clark
1968 Watkins Glen Stewart
1969 Watkins Glen Rindt
1970 Watkins Glen Fittipaldi
1971 Watkins Glen Cevert