Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Japanese GP Oct 11-12

Old 10-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x 1,000!

[QUOTE]Ron Dennis loses patience with Lewis Hamilton
October 13th, 2008
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GivIn2Sin / GPMike / anybody else posting shite needs to reign it in. If you cannot contribute like an adult, then go see how boards like ten tenths are run. I guarantee you guys wouldn't last a week on there with your attitudes.

Why people are hell bent on ruining this section for the majority of posters I do not know.

Anybody who has been previously banned who is found to have reregistered with a new name will be banned again. That is not a threat, but a promise.

The fact a number of posters have given up posting on here should make some of you hang your heads in shame.

Children indeed

For now I'll leave this thread open, but be warned that my finger is hovering over the 'close' button.

It stops and it stops now.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 12 2008, 02:24 PM
To use your own words, if that had been a wall there he would have crashed. So isn't that an unfair advantage?
How was it an unfair advantage? Was the distance he crossed less? No.

This is not at all like cutting a chicane, so please stop trying to make them the same.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 13 2008, 11:51 AM
x 1,000!

Sure sounds to me like RD is criticisizing LH. And of course, regardless if you like RD or not, the man clearly knows a thing or two about F1 and how a team runs.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71381

McLaren endorse Hamilton's approach

McLaren say they fully endorse Lewis Hamilton maintaining his attacking approach in his bid for the world championship, despite the Briton hitting trouble in the Japanese Grand Prix.

Hamilton had talked in the build-up to the event in Fuji of taking a no-risk approach to the race, with his sole focus being on winning the championship rather than crossing the finishing-line first.

However, he saw his title lead cut by two points after being punished for sliding wide at the first corner and then, two laps later, getting tapped into a spin by Felipe Massa.

Although Hamilton could have avoided trouble by playing it safe at the first corner rather than trying to wrest the lead from Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren are adamant that the young Briton did nothing wrong.

Team principal Ron Dennis said: "He's a racing driver. That's what makes him the driver he is. He is going to fight for positions at every opportunity and you're not going to stop him doing that.

"Of course, with the benefit of hindsight it would have been nice if he could have been a bit more prudent in the first corner but that's the benefit of hindsight. Some of the things he does you're in awe of him. How long did it take Felipe to get past the Honda? Five laps? Six laps? And Lewis just blasted past him.

"You can't just cherry-pick aspects of drivers. The simple fact is he is a great driver, we're going to fight for the world championship but it's sometimes an uphill struggle."

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh added: "It's motor-racing. You drive hard and it was a good start off the line by Kimi. Lewis was there to try and see what he could do. He braked late into that corner - that's what motor-racing is about and unfortunately it didn't work out today for him."

Dennis felt that the penalty handed down on Hamilton for the first corner, where it was judged he had forced Raikkonen off the track, was harsh.

"Any experienced motor-racing person sees it as a racing incident. First corner incidents like that are absolutely commonplace in Grand Prix racing. There's nothing unusual about it.

"Everybody's on tyres that haven't got up to full operating temperature and people leave their braking late and that's what happens. There was no intent to what goes on in these corners, because most of the time when people make those sorts of mistakes, they are the ones that are penalised."

And he does not accept Massa's version of events about the Brazilian's collision with Hamilton, where the Ferrari driver claims he was forced wide onto the gravel before colliding with the McLaren.

"Everybody saw the same TV images that I saw," said Dennis. "He was off the road and he drove back on into the side of Lewis. It's as simple as that and it's there for everyone to see."

He added: "Felipe made a huge mistake going in, he ran completely wide and Lewis went on the inside and was 100% on the circuit all the time."

Hamilton said about the incident that he had no doubts Massa had deliberately tried to hit him, having lost track position on the way into the chicane.

"He outbraked me so I didn't get past him on the way in," explained Hamilton. "I did the corner normally and he came back very aggressively and hit me. I think that was pretty much as deliberate as can be."

I trust autosport's articles to any other 'news' website.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Birel186,Oct 13 2008, 09:44 PM
"Any experienced motor-racing person sees it as a racing incident. First corner incidents like that are absolutely commonplace in Grand Prix racing. There's nothing unusual about it.
i would love to know what racing experience the marshals making these calls have.

they should have retired racecar drivers making these calls. people who have actually been in these situations.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 PM

On a weekend where plenty of attention was drawn to the fact that the car is, as everybody knows, not in any way environmentally unfriendly, one journalist offered a cheeky question to the pair.
"This weekend there has been a lot of talk about green cars and ecology. This question is to test you. Do you have an idea how much energy, how many Kilowatt hours of energy there is in one litre of gasoline and how long you could keep a normal energy saving lamp with that?"
Needless to say, they didn't off the top of their heads, but Kovalainen skillfully dodged the question.
"Let's talk about Formula One and qualifying," he said. "Obviously we know the answer, but let's not go into details!"

Elsewhere on the grid, Toyota were pretty happy about Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock locking out the fourth row. Less delighted were rival Japanese manufacturer Honda, who had quite predictably failed to make it out of Q3. All credit to Jenson Button, who tackled the continuing travails of his team with a little humour.
"Look, even if I am 18th on the grid I get people smiling at me," he said after getting a wave and a cheer just before explaining his qualifying tribulations.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Birel186,Oct 13 2008, 08:21 PM
On a weekend where plenty of attention was drawn to the fact that the car is, as everybody knows, not in any way environmentally unfriendly, one journalist offered a cheeky question to the pair.
"This weekend there has been a lot of talk about green cars and ecology. This question is to test you. Do you have an idea how much energy, how many Kilowatt hours of energy there is in one litre of gasoline and how long you could keep a normal energy saving lamp with that?"
Needless to say, they didn't off the top of their heads, but Kovalainen skillfully dodged the question.
"Let's talk about Formula One and qualifying," he said. "Obviously we know the answer, but let's not go into details!"
LOL very nice find Birel. oo HK you gave that journalist an awesome answer.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 13 2008, 04:36 AM
Yup, having steped out of the situation that forced me to read all this stuff, I suddenly realized life was better without all the crap.

Nice post man!!!
haha i guess u stopped being a moderator at the right moment! I will say this forum doesn't seem the same without ur frequent posts, so do us all a favor and post more plz!!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 13 2008, 04:20 AM
I did...
The Japanese, Chinese, and Brazilian GPs are the only GPs I am glad to be watching from the west coast. Japanese and Chinese start around 10 and Brazilian GP is a manageable time for me to wake up and watch. I give all you ppl on the east coast who watch at least the Japanese and CHinese GPs live.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 AM

with our local time, i had to see the race live at 7:30 am then go one hour late to work!! but its worth it!!

Quick Reply: Japanese GP Oct 11-12