Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Akuma Build

Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akuma Build

Background:

After coming close to buying an S2000 at least twice in my life, I bit the bullet and decided on actively looking for a decent example in 2010. A few months into the search, and I found the perfect one. Essentially a one owner car (the second owner had it held in storage and put less than 1000 miles on it), the car came with almost every factory option available at the time, and all paperwork tracking service history and factory service manuals. It actually had a really interesting history, owned by a Japanese guy who ironically worked for Nissan, but bought the car brand new, and optioned it out, and cared for it meticulously. Life and work circumstances changed, and he had to head back to Japan, leaving the car with his friend in the US. It stayed in storage for approximately 2 years, being driven sparingly until I came along.

I took a chance and flew up to Oklahoma, cash in hand, ready to look over the car and make an offer. The experience as I drove it home back to Dallas was an experience in itself. It was my first road trip in the US, and it was definitely memorable. I wrote a separate post about my experience here.

So far, I will admit, not a lot has been done since 2010. I drove the car for 18 months, but due to personal circumstances, I had to put any plans for the car on hold mid 2012, putting it in the garage to collect dust while I sorted more important things out. It finally got pulled out of the cobwebs a couple of months ago, as I started actively piling up the planned parts list, leaving it in the hands of Texas Track Works in Forth Worth.

I'll continue to update the list of changes below, and share any experiences I have had with the parts installed. If you have any questions, please ask. If I can help, I gladly will.

Current Setup:

- Factory Hardtop
- Alpine iDa-X305S head unit
- Alpine KTP-445 compact amplifier
- Modify DCI

- Work Emotion CR Kai Wheels, 17 x 9.0 + 38 all around
- Nitto NT05 tires, 255 40 R17
- Ohlins Road and Track coilovers (my detailed install, road and track driving impressions here)
- Eibach swaybars (front and rear)

- Koyo R2344 R-Spec radiator
- Koyo high pressure radiator cap
- Samco radiator hoses (blue)

- Russell stainless steel brake lines
- Carbotech XP10 brake pads (front)
- Shuriken SK-BT20 lightweight battery

Future Plans:

First, I really have to decide if I want to stay naturally aspirated, or go forced induction. Based on this, logically, I'll be looking at intake, exhaust, and supporting modifications to get the best out of the car while keeping it as healthy as I can (over-engineer, and ensure everything works harmoniously).

More details (and photos) to come very soon!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Reserved - (photos, build notes)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Reserved - (photos, build notes)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 AM

Good Luck with your build!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see this progress!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Shortly after the last update, my car and any work being done was put on hold indefinitely. All I'll share is that it was a combination of personal family matters that needed my focus and attention.

Two days ago, I had the car (and the piles of dust on it) towed to Texas Track Works. As depressing as this photo looks, I'm actually quite excited that the car will be back on the road soon, and all going well, I can hit the track before the end of summer.

At the workshop, I got a very good vibe as soon as I arrived. For now, there's much to be done over the next 2-3 weeks. My wheels and tires which have been sitting there looking at me for months will be fitted. Still have a decision to make about the coilovers to install. All four fenders will be rolled as required to fit the tires (as a temporary measure, until I install the fender flares). And of course, a complete service, draining all fluids and refreshing everything.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 PM

Thank you to GT Motoring for delivery of my new Koyo R2344 radiator, Koyo radiator CAP and Samco hoses. My first purchase with them, but I am sure it won't be the last (great service, competitive pricing and very prompt response to all communications, can't ask for more than that)

Still waiting for a few more parts to arrive, then off to take some photos of the car getting work done. Should have a decent update by the end of the month!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Finally. After 2 months if waiting (and a few years of fantasizing about owning a set of these for my car), my coil-overs are finally here.
Thanks to Patrick from Urge Designs for his advise and help throughout. A review of the install, and eventual on road and track impressions will be posted very soon!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM

Ohlins are in! More details on this thread (click here)

Here's a sneak peak

I'm waiting for the radiator and hoses to get installed, and I'll have driving impressions to share with you all
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you planning to track the car?

Quick Reply: Akuma Build