Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

flanders NFR AP1 build

Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

looks great!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

First track day of the season done and car felt really nice.
Had some struggles with small grinds when banging in fifth gear, not sure why but I think it might be clutch related.
Here's a really nice video a friend did with some footage from the meet the day before and some shots from the track.

A couple of track pictures

Getting chased by a Gallardo

Some in car video, I'm not pushing it much though so probably not very exiting

Back home again and after three hours of cleaning, it's finally time for the first top down ride
Old 05-02-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

how were your on track air temps with the new box setup?

i was logging 145F with a GM open air sensor with ambient 97F weather this past weekend at Sebring... makes me really want to fab up a box or something like what you did. I checked the pipercross box but realized I have no backing plate to mount it far enough from the trumpets
Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 PM

Intake temps were great, it gets a bit heatsoaked when standing still in the pits but after a few minutes driving it drops down again.
I think ambient temps were around or bellow 60F and intake when stabilized around 75F.

If you get a flat backing plate and install rubber grommets for the air horns that might work without to much hassle.
Something like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wj58apv9jw...3436.jpg?raw=1
Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Small update after an amazing trip to Japan, stayed in Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone and then back to Tokyo again.
Didn't do to much car stuff but of course had to bring home some small JDM goodies.
Genuine Honda racing socks

Okada coils

Nothing wrong with my stock ones (yet) but I wanted to try these and they were actually cheaper than if I had bought new stock ones here in Sweden.
On the outside it looks pretty much identical to stock AP1 coils, same part number as well.

Installed, no cover on since I didn't like how it fitted with the slightly taller Okada coils.
Something else was wrong though.

My OCD brain felt much better now

Next small mod that I've been waiting to do is to fix the slightly annoying seat belt buckle.
After testing probably 50+ cars on the local scrapyard I found this from the backseat of a 1989 Civic 1.5.
Also picked up a few Nissan 7/16 UNF bolts.

Compared to the EP3 buckle I used before this is noticeably thinner

Installed on my Tegiwa rail (same as Buddy Club etc)

Much more comfortable and no digging in to the hip
The following users liked this post:
Mike RT4 (06-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loving all the pages of your build. Pretty impressed with all that details!
Did you do some testing with/without airbox on the itbs?
Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Thanks
I haven't done any real accurate comparisons other than looking at logs and comparing intake temp and MAP sensor readings.
Temperatures are definitely a lot lower and it doesn't seem to be any added restriction.
I do see a 1-2 kPa drop in "manifold" pressure around 7krpm and up but this was there before as well, I guess the throttle bodies are just a bit to small.
The following users liked this post:
jsaric (07-18-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I echo everyone else in mentioning your excellent attention to detail! Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading updates.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Season is over here now so might be time for an update, not to much has happened though.
Got these for a couple of bucks on ebay, thought they would be logo free but apparently not.

After some sanding and some new paint, a bit cleaner and a few grams lighter

Thought I started to hear some TCT noise so pulled out the worm gear

After some glass blasting, sand would probably be better but don't have as easy access to that

Went to the annual autocross event (Lunda Challenge) with the Swedish Honda club, a bit damp in the morning which was pretty fun.
Later in the day it dried up and in the end I managed to shave almost two second from my best time last year.

Only red S2k's allowed

There was a FK8 press car there as well, did around the same times as the previous FK2 CTR.
Just for reference my best time was 1:25.65 and FK8 (with a much better driver than me) did 1:23.19
Old 10-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Went to a dyno day at a nearby tuner just for fun.

Tried one run with airbox lid off but didn't make much difference

Best run was 231.7hp @ 8737rpm, here is my chart (red) compared to another s2k with similar mods except ITB's.

Another comparison with a F20 powered Opel Manta racecar, think this one had cams as well

And a short little video, I really love the Milltek sound

Quick Reply: flanders NFR AP1 build