Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1

Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1

Hey guys,

So... I figured I'd start up my own S2000 build thread. My story started way back in 2010 when I picked up my first S2000 from Jacksonville, FL. It was a 2001 Silverstone with roughly 80k miles on it if I remember correctly. Honestly, I didn't have the car long enough before it was stolen outside of my apartment in South Florida. I had it for about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks before I got a knock at the door from a police officer asking if I knew where my car was. They had recovered it miles away from my house. They gave me the address to where they had towed it and I went to check it out. Turns out, they had recovered a couple other S2000s that night so it must have been a planned theft operation. I had it sent to where my insurance company requested to assess the damages. Basically, they had stolen the seats, ECU, gauge cluster, shift knob, wheel caps, and left my top in pieces. They must have bumped into something with the rear of the car because it had a small ding in the taillight and rear bumper too. All-in-all, they totaled out the car and payed me outright. Here are some pics of the car when it was being adjusted:
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-wl0ovjc.jpg

Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-bqakyvv.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-lqou5qu.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-cu2c7vw.jpg
Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM

Then, I waited until later that year when I moved out of that crappy apartment into a much nicer place with a one car garage. I ended up picking up a much nicer 2003 Berlina Black S2000 with only about 65k miles on it. This thing was great! Well taken care of, 100% stock, low-mileage... I did all sorts of things to it. Greddy Evo2 Exhaust, aftermarket brakes and brake lines, swapped out the sidemarkers and cleared out the headlights, modifying the dash and adding the JDM navi bezel with a touchscreen monitor, swapped out the carpet to red, etc. etc. I ended up selling it in 2012 to a fellow board member from Chicago. I always regretted selling it but when money is tight, the first thing to go is always the toys. Here are some pics of it before I sold it:
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-b9wce99.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-g7cugiy.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-lvpkdtf.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-w08yyo9.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-odfecne.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-wemenre.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-ypgho2r.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-yz7iwzm.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-axcesww.jpg
Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Fast forward now to 2017. I ended up picking up a teaching job here in Panama and moved here back in 2015. Between 2012-2015, I had a couple daily driver cars to get me around but ended up picked up a 1995 Lexus GS300 with the INTENTION to not modify it... well that went out the window and I ended up swapping in a 2JZGTE motor and a slew of other aftermarket items. I ended up selling that GS300 because I ended up moving here to Panama. I had thought about importing it here but the cost of importing anything here in ludicrous and I had no where to store it. Here's a link to the youtube video I made when I was selling the GS300 if anyone's interested in checking it out:

Upon arriving to Panama, I didn't have any car for the first time in years. I had to use the public transportation system which really wasn't too bad for commuting to work and home. It pretty modernized as far as that goes, however can be pretty crowded but that's a whole different story for another day. Anyway, roughly a month after I had moved here, I had seen a sebring silver S2000 driving along while I was with my gf at the time. It looked decently modded from what I could tell. It was lowered on some AP2V1 wheels, a single exit cat-back, and an OEM lip kit. As we pulled up closer, I noticed a black recaro seat and realized it was also a rhd S2000... which I had never seen before up until then. Obviously, at this point, the fanboy in me got excited and memories of my black AP1 came flooding back. The S2000 bug started to bite again and thus, I began to look on the local Craigslist type for sale forum they use here, called Encuentra24, for not only S2000s but really, any car that would be reliable and somewhat sporty. I came across ads for Subarus and Evo 4-8s (JDM cars CAN be imported here... as the import laws are rather slack, just that taxes and import costs can cost more than the car at times!) and even a couple Skylines. Then... one fateful day... I went to the forum and searched 'S2000' and there it was! The same S2000 that I had seen that night up for sale.

I was ecstatic! I grabbed my cell phone and quickly started chatting back and forth with the the guy. Asking for pictures and whatnot. However, since I was new to the country, I had many doubts about buying a JDM car, as I wasn't sure of how registering a car like that would, or if it was even legal. I was doing my research and came back with mixed answers about whether it was legal or not. So, my excitement soon turned to disappoint and fear of being stuck with a car that I couldn't LEGALLY drive. Well, a month or so goes by and the search continued but yet, I would still find myself searching S2000s until one day, the ad disappeared. I assumed the car was gone for good. I had seen other cars here and there go by over the year... Integra Type Rs (DC2 and DC5), R33 Skyline GTR, etc. I would see JDM subarus all over the place and Evos and even a EK9 Civic Type R. I finally met some people who informed me that now, importing cars from Japan is more difficult, but if it's already registered into the system, there is no problem with buying and registering a rhd car.

Well, as fate would have it, almost a year to the day that I had seen the ad for the S2000 before, it was BACK up for sale! In fact, I still had the chat from the owner saved for some reason in my archived chats on Whatsapp, probably hoping that one day such as this would happen, that the car reappeared for sale from the SAME owner. Again, I acted swiftly this time in contacting the owner and asked about the car. Turns out, he took it off of the for sale forum because he had found a way to manage the payments for the car after being in a tough spot previously. However, he and his wife recently had a baby and therefore, it was back up for sale. I couldn't believe my luck. In fact, days prior, I was 80% sure I was going to buy this R32 Skyline GTS-T but it was in rough shape and needed some work (looked like it was wrecked before). The owner of that Skyline ended up removing the ad and literally 3 days later, the S2000 was up for sale. After a 3 week long process of dealing with the bank here, I was finally the owner of a JDM 2000 Honda S2000 with only 54,000 miles. It was a crazy, whirlwind of a story but it just goes to show, patience can be a virtue and waiting for the right deal can come around.

Here are some pics I took of the car getting it's detail since I bought it:

Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-kz8l0dj.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-u8vpugh.jpg
Old 08-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Then I took some photos near where I work on one of the old military bases, now converted into office buildings, schools, community, etc.:
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-excnsd3.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-kqxoa2j.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-lgorae7.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-jnzl9gy.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-4tubyh2.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-atwnjq7.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-trs9onl.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-pmuhfqp.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-o5ffzts.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-5i1uwab.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-mnnvrec.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-mjclmn1.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-uiybqt0.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-fhtejkg.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-28mewp6.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-udiz1h0.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-kldlxbp.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-wcbdctg.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-fakrwk3.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-yhdecfk.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-n5alqzs.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-kocbmgw.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-gp5zebe.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-meksg1s.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-nv8ieue.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-bw8qocj.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-lbsrdoz.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-tgz3ecd.jpg

MODS
  • Tein Lowering Springs
  • Spoon Strut Tower Bar
  • HKS Hi-Power Cat Back
  • Invidia Test Pipe
  • Spoon Chipped ECU (Still to be confirmed. This is what the previous owner told me)
  • CF Radiator Cooling Panel w/ banged up snorkel (On the list to replace)
  • Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
  • Trust/Greddy Shift Knob w/ VeilSide 6-Speed Shift Pattern
  • PWJDM Replacement Bolts (To be replaced with OEM bolts)
  • Kenwood Radio and Speakers
  • Crossdrilled Brake Rotors (Unsure of Brand)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Here are some more pics I took this same day next to one of the set of locks of the Panama Canal. This set of locks are called the Pedro Miguel locks. Pretty cool living within a mile of the Panama Canal and hearing the large ships pass through. Makes for a pretty cool photo session location too!
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-2s56rtj.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-ecj2d6p.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-clfpbmx.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-kbf5ulg.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-auqh9jr.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-3zcgwen.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-rzzrfcz.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-rj2o9bu.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-r5phmyt.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-ve2mydh.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-fds96bl.jpg
Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 AM

UPDATE

Well, the clutch master cylinder went out on the car about a week ago. One of the downsides of owning a car that was never officially imported here to this country is that I can't just go down to my local Honda parts department and hope they have one sitting around. Plus, shipping things here is outrageously high. Luckily, Panama is such a common place for my dad's coworkers to come down for work and fellow teachers are constantly traveling back home to the States that I can usually convince someone to bring parts for me if they're small enough to fit in a bag.

Think I can convince someone to bring me a set of Work wheels in their suitcase....?

Anywho... since the car is down while I wait for someone to bring my parts in a week, I am working on some mini maintenance projects. The first one being my passenger air vent. The little adjuster flap wasn't connected to the other three air flaps so whenever the A/C was blowing, it would only blow straight up as the three flaps couldn't be adjusted. Without taking it apart, I had looked into ordering one from Japan to the States and it was reasonable enough but I figured I'd tinker with it first to see what it could be. I pulled out the vent and disassembled it (You can see my next project in that photo as well).
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-3lgdg92.jpg

As I had it disassembled, I found the culprit. There's this little black tab that looks to have worn out of time and broken off from the adjuster flap which connects to the other three flaps. Luckily, the little tab that had broken off from the adjuster flap was still inside the piece that holds all the flaps together.
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-ptb6jk3.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-uj8ff27.jpg

I purchased some plastic cement from Elmer's at my local Home Depot. I figured I'd give it a try and see how it holds. I applied the glue and adhered the two pieces together. It says it'll take about 24 hours for the glue to cure so let's find out tomorrow. I'll post up my thoughts and opinions about how well it held up tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
S1 S2 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 06:05 AM

So that glue was a complete fail. lol... I had my doubts but figured it was worth a try. I think I'll try the JB Weld stuff next to see if that works.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 PM

UPDATE

It's been about a month since the last time I posted up anything. I ended up buying the JB Weld to try and fix the vent piece with the broken tab. Although I was able to adhere the tab back on, it wasn't flexible enough to allow the vent tab to move up and down to close the vent. Aesthetically, it would have been fine, but since this is my daily and my gf gets cold easily, a constantly open vent just wasn't gonna do so I ended up caving in and ordering a new one from Japan. That piece just arrived to my family's home in Iowa, where I have a bunch of other miscellaneous things sitting just waiting to be shipped down here, and will be installed soon.

In the meantime, my clutch master cylinder decided to go out on me. Luckily, this part isn't rhd specific like on some other cars and I was able to source a brand new OEM one along with a new OEM slave cylinder from the states and have someone bring them to Panama when they came down here for vacation. I also went ahead and picked up some Honda brake fluid and a clear tube from my local hardware store that would run from the slave cylinder to a jar to help while I gravity bleed the clutch. I know there has been some debate on the size of the tubing you need. I can confirm the outer diameter should be 5x16" and the inner diameter should be 3/16".
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-dytc6va.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-xz0atw7.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-ghmcjuq.jpg
Old 09-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Here's a few pics of while I was changing out the clutch master cylinder and boy oh boy did I find some unexpected surprises. First of all, look at the horrible state of that clutch fluid! I don't know when the last time the previous owner had changed it or how in the hell it ended up a blackish green, but damn am I glad I swapped out both cylinders and added some fresh fluid.

The worst part was what I discovered when I got the master cylinder out. It looks like the someone before had spilled break fluid or it was leaking around the opening of the firewall as it has a decent amount of surface rust around the opening. It doesn't look like it's too bad and can be easily fixed. I already took it to a reputable body shop and they quoted a good price to have it plus a few other areas fixed on the body. So, that'll hopefully get taken care of within the next couple months.

You can see some of the old v.s. new parts in the pics below:

Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-62bjlpi.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-m6ncwzc.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-6qfzmlq.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-ca8crbt.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-qnjgvdl.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-g5num9i.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-bnizkgg.jpg
Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM

To top things off, as soon as I got the clutch master and slave cylinder fixed, I went to turn on the car and the damn battery was dead. I tried jump starting and it wouldn't crank over. I ended up needing to swap out the battery too. Apparently, it's pretty common for batteries to go bad every 2-3 years here in Panama due to the high humidity. Fortunately, there's a shop here that will drive to your house on a Sunday, test your battery to see if it's the battery or alternator, and swap out your battery for less than $100. Granted, this battery wasn't my first choice but when you're in a pinch, it'll do. The car starts up just the same as with the Interstate battery so I can't really complain. Maybe if I end up upgrading the sound system a bit down the road I'll look into swapping it out with something a little more powerful, but this'll do for now.

Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-1kkhvme.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-kse6tgf.jpg
Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1-g1p5fj1.jpg

Quick Reply: Greetings from the Panama Canal in my JDM AP1