Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Ketchup to Mustard - Vboy's slow build thread 2.0 (Spa Yellow AP1)

Old 08-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Car is so good! Awesome to see the progression since the AZ days. Looking better than ever.
Thanks buddy! The progress has been slow, but it's there!

Originally Posted by S2kys
Ugh, I love this. Basically would've gone the Spa route if I didn't get white. I have a bronze wheel fetish, I think they look good on every car, and ironically I have a set of RZII on order in Racing Bronze, it's a "new" color for the RZ series that came out late last year or early this year I think? I ended up going 17x9 +63 square, I'm hoping I'm still safe up front, I don't plan on going too low. I'm really getting pushed hard in the direction of an AP1 front lip myself....I have the RSG Gears lip waiting to go on, but nothing beats the AP1 imo....All I know is if I do decide to go that route it won't be cheap.

Beautiful car man, I hope mine comes out this clean once I take some elbow grease to it and get the parts on it that I've been wanting. Keep this one!
Nice! I much prefer the Racing Bronze you mentioned over the previous bronze I've seen on other Advan wheels. You should be fine with 17x9 +63 up front. You may get some rubbing on the fender liner from the inside edge of the tire depending on ride height and suspension, but overall fit shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend to push the front fender tabs up just in case. Even with my more S2k friendly setup I did it just to be on the safe side. I accidentally caught and pulled a front fender on my old NFR and I never what that to happen again.

I agree, the AP1 OEM front is hard to beat and it's my personal favorite aesthetically. Plus it's FAR more durable than aftermarket options. Just unfortunate that they're so hard to find nowadays at a remotely reasonable price.

Appreciate the love, man. Good luck with your build and looking forward to seeing some pics of it!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Vboy
Thanks buddy! The progress has been slow, but it's there!

Nice! I much prefer the Racing Bronze you mentioned over the previous bronze I've seen on other Advan wheels. You should be fine with 17x9 +63 up front. You may get some rubbing on the fender liner from the inside edge of the tire depending on ride height and suspension, but overall fit shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend to push the front fender tabs up just in case. Even with my more S2k friendly setup I did it just to be on the safe side. I accidentally caught and pulled a front fender on my old NFR and I never what that to happen again.

I agree, the AP1 OEM front is hard to beat and it's my personal favorite aesthetically. Plus it's FAR more durable than aftermarket options. Just unfortunate that they're so hard to find nowadays at a remotely reasonable price.

Appreciate the love, man. Good luck with your build and looking forward to seeing some pics of it!
Absolutely man, gotta appreciate a car that's clean, simple, and tasteful. I'm more drawn to builds like yours as opposed to the extreme ones. Everyone has their tastes and preferences but sometimes it isn't all about how extreme your while size is, how low your car is, how much you spent on your full carbon body kit etc. Sometimes it just comes down to the little things, and I think you're nailing that. Making me proud, son!

I plan on running Ohlins, perhaps I'll get some higher rate springs for it so it doesn't compress so hard. Again I'm not really about flush fitment or no fender gap, so even if I do rub I don't think it will be enough to do serious damage as it will only happen occasionally. Plan on running a few degrees of camber all the way around as well for performance benefits.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Absolutely man, gotta appreciate a car that's clean, simple, and tasteful. I'm more drawn to builds like yours as opposed to the extreme ones. Everyone has their tastes and preferences but sometimes it isn't all about how extreme your while size is, how low your car is, how much you spent on your full carbon body kit etc. Sometimes it just comes down to the little things, and I think you're nailing that. Making me proud, son!

I plan on running Ohlins, perhaps I'll get some higher rate springs for it so it doesn't compress so hard. Again I'm not really about flush fitment or no fender gap, so even if I do rub I don't think it will be enough to do serious damage as it will only happen occasionally. Plan on running a few degrees of camber all the way around as well for performance benefits.
I definitely sway more towards that type of build nowadays as well and I appreciate the recognition from others that share that! As you can see from the progress of my old NFR, there's been a bit of evolution in style/aggressiveness in how I approach modding the S.

You'll love the Ohlins, I personally wouldn't recommend any other setup for a primarily street driven car. I have the standard 10/8 kg/mm springs and they're just fine for my use of the car. You may see some benefit from going with a slightly stiffer rate (I'd recommend discussing with others on their recs for spring rates on a non-staggered setup as well). Being an AP1 if you're planning for 255s all around you may want to consider a stiffer front sway bar (or softer rear) to address the likely increase in snap oversteer too!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Vboy
I definitely sway more towards that type of build nowadays as well and I appreciate the recognition from others that share that! As you can see from the progress of my old NFR, there's been a bit of evolution in style/aggressiveness in how I approach modding the S.

You'll love the Ohlins, I personally wouldn't recommend any other setup for a primarily street driven car. I have the standard 10/8 kg/mm springs and they're just fine for my use of the car. You may see some benefit from going with a slightly stiffer rate (I'd recommend discussing with others on their recs for spring rates on a non-staggered setup as well). Being an AP1 if you're planning for 255s all around you may want to consider a stiffer front sway bar (or softer rear) to address the likely increase in snap oversteer too!
I have the ap2 rear subframe and upper arms. Not looking forward to that job
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

I have the ap2 rear subframe and upper arms. Not looking forward to that job
That's definitely one way to address the AP1 handling characteristics!