Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

King Tut's 2006 AP2 Laguna Blue Pearl ( LBP ) Time Attack Build

Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Dark blue Weds look amazing on Laguna!

Personally I would completely ignore everyone's comments on a turbo setup being difficult or not worth while. It is perfectly doable and perfectly possible to make reliable. Everyone that does it tends to half ass something and just abandon everything at the first sign of trouble. You will just have to spend time developing it to get it all working well. This is coming from someone who has no plans for forced induction because I wouldn't enjoy working out all the kinks, but I have seen all those posts and threads where turbo setups have issues or fail and the reasons are always pretty clear. Just have to be willing to put in the time and money to do things right.

If I was to do a turbo setup the SOS setup with v-mount would be the only pre-designed kit I would even consider.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks amazing I like the wang, I want one too!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:47 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
If I was to do a turbo setup the SOS setup with v-mount would be the only pre-designed kit I would even consider.
When I first got the car, that was my thinking as well. The only way to fix the overheating issues is to get that big ass intercooler out of the way of all the fresh air that needs to be hitting the radiator and that meant choosing the only V mount kit which is the SoS. Then I began researching the kit and its limitations due to using an Evo style twin scroll housing that was choking the motor. I mean I only want 330 whp and they are recommending a GT35 turbo? Why would I want a big ole GT35? They had no desire to discount their kit and wanted to charge me $400 in shipping charges alone. They didn't seem excited to be working with me on the project. I then began contacting PTUNING and talking to them, and they convinced me that their kit can get the job done along with being excited to see it come together. I am still a little hesitant, but I need to get it installed and get it out on track to see what kind of issues will pop up. If I need to go V mount, I can still order up the SoS V mount setup and make some changes to the PTUNING oiling setup to make it work.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I've seen the Ptuning kit in person and it is also what seems to be a very well put together kit. I'm pretty sure there was a guy on the east coast that used to have it on his car and did some tracking without issues.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM

So I have the following products on the way to me this week:

PTUNING Oil Distribution Block
AEM Failsafe Boost/AFR Gauge
Innovate Oil Pressure/Temp Gauge
Autometer Dual Gauge Pod
Moroso Performance Catch Can
McMaster-Carr Vacuum Block

Hoping to get them all installed this weekend. Planning to use the PTUNING ODB for both the oil pressure and temp senders of the Innovate gauge. Then use my custom McMaster-Carr vacuum block to supply the boost/vacuum signal and the secondary O2 sensor bung for the wideband on the AEM Failsafe gauge.

Any recommendations for locations to get the wiring through the firewall and into the engine bay and down to the exhaust?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:36 AM

Well the install on those parts is going to have to wait. Anish @ Speed Freaks USA ( http://speedfreaksusa.com ) hooked me up with Chris @ #GRIDLIFE ( http://www.grid.life/ ) who needed another car for his booth at the Import Aliance Spring Meet @ Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend. This is definitely not my scene, but since Chris's events are trying to combine Import events with HPDE/Time Attack events and music festivals. He wanted some actual track vehicles for his booth. We will have the Nine Lives Racing S2000, my S2000, and a more stance S2000.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Big box on the way
Can't wait to see it installed.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by copafeel87
Big box on the way
Can't wait to see it installed.
I can't wait to install it. I got the catch can mounted, but I am still working on the gauge install. My PTUNING turbo kit should be here on Thursday, but I am busy doing family and track events the month of April so install won't be till May at the earliest.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
When I first got the car, that was my thinking as well. The only way to fix the overheating issues is to get that big ass intercooler out of the way of all the fresh air that needs to be hitting the radiator and that meant choosing the only V mount kit which is the SoS. Then I began researching the kit and its limitations due to using an Evo style twin scroll housing that was choking the motor. I mean I only want 330 whp and they are recommending a GT35 turbo? Why would I want a big ole GT35? They had no desire to discount their kit and wanted to charge me $400 in shipping charges alone. They didn't seem excited to be working with me on the project. I then began contacting PTUNING and talking to them, and they convinced me that their kit can get the job done along with being excited to see it come together. I am still a little hesitant, but I need to get it installed and get it out on track to see what kind of issues will pop up. If I need to go V mount, I can still order up the SoS V mount setup and make some changes to the PTUNING oiling setup to make it work.
I agree that the SOS manifold and output is a bit of a disappointment. I think it primarily has to do with the divided flange t3/twinscroll/whatever you want to call it. It may result in very quick spool, but it chokes the top end. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't someone making ~330-350whp with a GT3071 on 10-12 psi? It seems like much beyond 350whp and the manifold just chokes the flow. I agree the price is a little high for what it is, but it's definitely a nice put together setup/kit.

I think for someone who wants to go with boost on a "budget," a decent log manifold like an IP coupled with an internally gated turbo might be pretty effective. Then just block off the external wg port. Heck, if you're happy with low-mid 300whp I wonder if a t25 flange with something larger than a "disco potato" might do the trick as well. I haven't seen the SOS v mount setup in person, but it looks very impressive. It's something I'd opt to run no question, and is actually reasonably priced.

Good luck on your ptuning setup. I'll be very interested to hear how your car does. The problem with comparing a lot of FI/turbo setups is the cars/drivers range considerably. You have people who probably run N/A times in a turbo/sc car, and claim that the kit runs great w/o overheating, but they're putzing around the track.. Ptuning is a local shop to me, and it looks like a very nice kit. I'm curious to see if a FMIC can stand up to regular track abuse.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
The SOS kit seems to do the job. I track with a local with the SOS kit. His car has two drivers at every local AZ event so it sees 8-20 min sessions a day with no problems. No failures after 1.5 years of tracking. He does take his car in for service more than a NA car, but its usually just for regular maintenance or to add more mods. Car can pull corvette down the straight .
Good to hear. Do you know if they run the V mount setup or just a FMIC? Do they push it for a whole 20min session or just do a few hot laps per session?

Quick Reply: King Tut's 2006 AP2 Laguna Blue Pearl ( LBP ) Time Attack Build