Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Manga_Spawn's Build Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Sheesh ok already. I have to roll someones fenders tomorrow and then I will probably work on getting it on the car. The bumper mounts differently from the OEM bumper so it is going to take some figuring out. I'll post pics since I haven't ever really seen it mentioned. I also have the Spoon diff mounts I need to put on and the car needs a wash pretty badly.
Is that before or after you put back in the OEM tail lights
Old 06-01-2018, 01:58 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

:P if anyone wants to buy me a new set of OEM ap2 tail lights I would be happy to put them on the car.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
:P if anyone wants to buy me a new set of OEM ap2 tail lights I would be happy to put them on the car.
Nah 00-01 are the best yo! Simple Track stylezzz
Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts

AP2 > AP1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> aftermarket tail lights
Old 06-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Site Moderator

The following users liked this post:
JamesD89 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't wait to see the ASM bumper mounted on another NFR. I vote OEM tails as well
Old 06-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Here to say that the Depo tail lights are the worst.

Everything else, though, looks great! Can't wait to see the new bumper mounted up!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Site Moderator

So I spent a lot of the weekend working on the car. As I mentioned the way this bumper mounts is a little different than other bumpers (at least different than OEM and my Ings bumper).

First after removing the bumper you have these side clips mount things.
Manga_Spawn's Build Thread-zhfdf9xl.jpg

And a whole lot of dirt and grime. So there have to come off. The are accessible through the trunk but the the hole closest to the door is a pretty big pain in the ass to reach. I used some pliers to get the first 2 clips out then the last one i could just pop out by hand.

After that I scrubbed the area with a toothbrush and some windex. Not quite Feezy clean but good enough. I ended up putting some 3m clear bra on to hopefully help the panels not rub together.
Manga_Spawn's Build Thread-nolrskfl.jpg

Not the best picture but here is what the ASM bumper looks like. It basically has the black piece built into the bumper design and comes with hardware to bolt the bumper in place. Pretty simple it has bolts and washer that go through the square holes into these threaded holes on the bumper. Again the hole closest to the door was a real pain in the ass to reach since you have to really contort the hell out of your arm to get the bolt in. I ended up taking off the tail lights when I mounted the bumper which made both getting the bumper on and also gave another angle to be able to see into this area a little better. I could barely shove my arm all the way back there to get that bolt in.
Manga_Spawn's Build Thread-imv8nhol.jpg

Annnnd mounted up and to the dismay of everyone the tail lights went back on.
Manga_Spawn's Build Thread-bysszerl.jpg
Manga_Spawn's Build Thread-rcapmfdl.jpg

Still a lot more work to do. I have to put the flares back on and make some minor adjustments to the bumper so make sure everything lines up. Using rivnuts this time rather than the rivets to mount the flares. I also need to adjust the exhaust to get it in the right spot. Overall very happy with the bumper. I will admit that the depo tail lights match the Ings bumper a lot better than the ASM bumper so maybe I will go back to oem. I need to get everything mounted and see it all together before I decide. Still have diff mounts I need to put on as well. The work never ends.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Site Moderator

Oh also if anyone is selling an ASM Front tower bar please let me know. I got rid of my GP fab tower bar this weekend. Was one of the very first parts I put on the car but it is time for a change.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,919 Posts

New bumper really does change the back of the car a lot. Funny that.

I have to join the "I don't like the tails" bunch.