Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

NFRS2KNC *My Second S2000 Build* SOS/Voltex/ETC

Old 01-01-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NFRS2KNC *My Second S2000 Build* SOS/Voltex/ETC

Most recent pictures on bottom *Updated 1/3/2018*

I think it is finally time I create a build thread for my second S2000 build. I have been a member of S2ki for about a decade and owned two S2000s over the span of 5 years. The S2000 has always been my dream car ever since I saw my first Fast and the Furious movie.
My thread is still a work in progress but I believe this is a great way to track all the changes I've made since I am starting to forget (old age LMAO).

The car below was my previous S2000. This was its final form before I parted it out and sold it. I loved the rawness of the AP1 but I could not get rid of the oil burning issue. After extensive research, it only felt right to upgrade to a 04-05 AP2. The updated bumpers, lights, stronger differential, little more torque, and no oil burning issues (thankful). The amount of money I had to spend to convert my AP1 to an AP2 costs more than just buying a AP2.

2003 GPW

The search for my AP2 took almost a year. The color I really wanted was GPW but I could not find any within my price range. I was in the process of writing up a part out list for my AP1 on S2KI and I came across a AD here about a 2005 NFR AP2 in Alabama. It was slightly modded with simple bolt-ons with exterior bits here and there. The main thing that enticed me was the new clutch set up (ACT PP, OEM Throwout bearing, OEM clutch, and AP1 flywheel) and the fact it was priced low with a Clean title with 100k miles on the odometer. I messaged the owner right away and had the car sold in less than an hour. I talked to the owner and he seemed very informative so I decided to take the chance. The same weekend, I drove all the way down to Alabama and back to pick it up.

Here is a picture of the car the day I picked it up:

Mods that I recall:

Mod List:

Interior:

Modifry DCI PnP Harness (SOLD)
Alpine iDA-x303 media receiver (SOLD)
Alpine SPS-610C component speakers and tweeters
Panavise Universal Bracket and Universal Phone Holder (SOLD)
Honda OEM Titanium Shift Knob (REMOVED)
Clazzio Seat Covers (black leather with black suede inserts and red stitching) (SOLD)
Rick's Shift Boot (black leather with red stitching)
Burton Industries Aluminum Accents (REMOVED)
Modifry Straps for Convertible Top

Engine:

K&N FIPK II (SOLD)
OBX Strut Tower Bar (Stainless Steel) (SOLD)
Password JDM Hood Dampers (Stainless Steel)
Alloy Craft Stainless Steel Textured Spark Plug
CoverAlloy Craft Red Anodized Textured Cross Brace Cover (SOLD)

Exterior:

Seibon OEM Style Carbon Fiber Hood (SOLD)
OEM AP2 Lip
Downforce Carbon Fiber Splitter for AP2 with Lip
Downforce Carbon Fiber Side Splitters
APR FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic)
Rear Diffuser (SOLD)
Invidia Q300 Dual Exhaust (Stainless Steel) (SOLD)
Invidia 70mm Test Pipe (Stainless Steel) with CEL fix (SOLD)
OEM Rear Wing Spoiler (SOLD)
J's Key Hole CoversRick's S Badges (Front and Back - red S on black background)
Enkei RPF1s (Front: 17x7.5 +48, Rear: 17x9 +45 - no fender mods) (SOLD)
Front: Sumitomo HTR ZIII 215/45/17, Rear: Sumitomo HTR ZIII 245/40/17

Drivetrain:

ACT HD PP
OEM Friction Disk
AP1 Flywheel

Although the car was tastefully modified, I got tired of the RPF1 look. I owned 7 sets of RPF1s over the course of 8 years back when I had my 2007 Civic Si and my 2003 AP1. I think it was time to move on. I parted out most of the stuff on the mod list and decided to start from scratch.

Since I sold the RPF1s on the car, I needed a set of spare wheels to roll on for the time being. Browsing through 8thcivic.com, I found a set of CE28s in S2K specs. Unfortunately, they where chromed out by the previous owner. The price was too good so I took a chance. I had never owned a set of authentic Volks before so that was another reason I jumped on it.

At the same time, I threw on the Mugen replica hard top from my previous AP1 that I wrapped in black vinyl. Here is a few pics of us cruising on the highway.

After driving a while on the CE28s, I got tired of my friends roasting me about the chromies. I sold them and picked up a set of 17x9 +63 offset TRM C3s. It already had a set of 255/40 tires on them and they fit great. Still had the stock suspension.
At the same time, I picked up a single sided carbon fiber Mugen replica hardtop made by Karbonhaus. It was extremely faded so I sold it the following week. The great thing was it came with OEM hardtop spikes. I kept those in case I found a set of rear OEM hardtop hardware.
I also removed the ugly AP2 wing and sold that.

While I was enjoying the car over the spring, I started collecting a lot of parts I found for cheap. I bought a set of APR mirrors, Work Meister S1 2P (The specs were 17x8 +35 and 17x9 +35), Spoon brakes with Winmax pads, Slotted rotors, SS brake lines, Forbidden double sided Mugen replica hardtop, OEM front hardtop latches, OEM rear hardtop catchers, Js 70rs dual stainless exhaust, J's racing replica rear diffuser from Karbonhaus, and Password JDM bumper canards.

Yes, I had a total of 5 hardtops. Sold the first Mugen rep that I wrapped black, sold the karbonhaus single-sided CF Mugen Rep, sold a OEM silverstone hardtop with no hardware that I wrapped black, sold a silverstone OEM hardtop from a part-out car, and kept the Forbidden CF Mugen replica. I loved the OEM hardtop but I had to free up some funds at the time. I am still happy with my Mugen hardtop and the way it looks despite the annoying squeaks it makes.

After gathering everything, I knew my wheels would not fit the stock fenders. I ordered a set of replica ASM overfenders and had them painted and installed by a local shop. Also rolled my front fenders flat and relocated the rear bumper tab. Although I liked the TRM wheels, the Work wheels were needed to fit my Spoon BBK.
After a month, I was able to slap everything on.

After much debate, I finally installed my Voltex 1600mm Type 2 wing with 30mm extensions. Drilling the trunk hurt my soul but it was inevitable. Here is a picture of my car at Tuner Evolution Charlotte. Didn't really stand out in the stance scene but I was mainly there for import models =)

After I installed my wing, I took a long hiatus from modding my car. Kept it the way it was. Went to Import Alliance in Atlanta, GA, a yearly thing I do with my friends. Can't say no to Korean BBQ!

Over the Summer, I found a great local deal on a SOS supercharger setup. Rode my bike down to South Carolina and met with Ryan, the owner of the kit. After a short conversation and a ride in his car, I was completely hooked. We signed a bill of sale/contract and I took a leap of faith allowing him to keep my car for about a month. The deal was he had to hold the kit for me, install it, and tune it. I barely knew Ryan but seeing the way his for sale ad was written, you can tell he was very particular with his cars. Plus, he is a Honda mechanic for 10+ years and works at a dealership.

Here is the original for sale ad by Ryan:

After putting a deposit on the kit, I started sourcing all the necessary parts in order to make this install easy and smooth. I had to buy:

AEM Failsafe gauge
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs BKR8EIX #2668
AEM Infinity with plug and play harness
PLM header
Autometer gauge pod
Duralast Battery (OEM one finally went out)
ID1000cc Injectors
1320 Test pipe
IZZE air pump simulator
AEM FPR
Fuel pressure gauge
PuddyMod block off plate
SOS Map sensor
Another AEM infinity plug and play harness (the used one I bought was bad)
MISC bits and pieces

Yes, there is a lot of stuff that is not included in the kit. Some were not necessary but I might as well do it right the first time.
I neatly placed everything in the car and dropped it off to Ryan.
The wait was long but well worth it.

When I got the car back, I was ecstatic. I have been supercharged since June of 2017 and no hiccups at all with the tune. This was all street tuned by Ryan. I would highly recommend him for any type of mechanic work.

Right after the supercharger, a friend sold me a Recaro Pole Position in leather with buddy club rails. I must say the BC rails are complete shit but the seat itself is pretty comfy.
Not long after, I sourced a personal steering wheel and NRG hub. Also got a BTI gauge for the AEM infinity. This gauge is awesome. Can show all the parameters coming from the AEM Infinity in this tiny gauge. I sent it back to BTI to upgrade the firmware and install a shift light in it.
Haven't really change much since. I did get a set of Advan RSii 17x10 +50 that I ran for a few months. I loved them. I also found a set of Advan RG2s in 17x8.5 +31 and 17x9.5 +35. I became a wheel whore.

As much as I liked both Advan wheels, I came across my dream wheels. TE37 17x9.5 +41 in bronze Evasive spec. The wheels weren't even posted up for sale or in stock anywhere. I randomly messaged a person on Facebook and he happened to have a extra set. I didn't want to wait 6 months so I bought them as soon as I found them.
Discount tire also had a $135 rebate on Hankook tires so I took advantage of that deal. $300 shipped for a set of new Hankook Ventus EVO2s. They were the same tires on the Advan RG2s and they were very quiet which I liked. I also sourced a spare red trunk and a BYS replica CF wing. Also took off the Voltex extensions to lower the wing height.
Also bought a WC Lathewerks titanium shift knob and Gladfab engine covers

These are the latest and most recent pictures of the car today.
Please excuse the amateur photos. Still in the process of learning.

Current Mod List:

Engine
  • SOS Supercharger N1200SL Stage 2 Kit (420whp / 272tq)
  • SOS Heat Exchanger painted in black
  • Tuned by Ryan Merchant
  • TIAL QRJ
  • Aeromotive 320lph fuel pump
  • ASP 6.6" anodized crank pulley
  • 3.4" Supercharger Puelly
  • ID1000cc Injectors
  • AEM Infinity with plug and play harness
  • SOS Fuel pump wiring kit
  • IZZE air pump simulator
  • NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs BKR8EIX #2668
  • AEM FPR
  • Fuel pressure gauge
  • SOS Map sensor
  • PuddyMod block off plate
  • 1320 Test Pipe
  • PLM header
  • J's racing 70RS SS Dual Exhaust

Drivetrain
  • ACT HD PP
  • AP1 Flywheel
  • OEM Friction Disk
  • AP1 Slave Cylinder

Suspension/Chassis
  • BC Racing coilover with Swift Springs

Brakes/Wheels/Tires
  • Spoon Calipers
  • Winmax Pads
  • Slotted Rotors
  • Stainless lines
  • Volk TE37 17x9.5 +41
  • Hankook EVO2 255/40R17
  • Muteki SR48 Lugnuts
Exterior
  • Downforce CF Front Lip
  • Downforce CF Side Diffusers
  • AP2 Front Lip
  • Password JDM CF Canards
  • Password JDM Hood Struts
  • Ricks Badges Front and Rear
  • APR CF Mirrors
  • Forbidden Double Sided CF Mugen Replica Hardtop
  • Voltex 1600mm Type 2 Wing 275mm Stands
  • BYS CF Replica spoiler
  • J's racing Karbonhaus CF diffuser
  • CF mudguards
  • ASM Replica over fenders

Interior
  • Broadway Mirror
  • Recaro Pole Position Leather
  • Buddy Club Rail
  • JVC Radio
  • WC Lathewerks Titanium Shift Knob
  • Autometer Gauge POD
  • BTI Gauge
  • AEM Failsafe Gauge
  • Personal Neo Grinta 330mm Steering wheel
  • NRG Hub
  • OEM hardtop front latches
  • OEM rear Hardtop hardware

For 2018, I have a few more things coming. Going through some major changes. Hopefully I finish by spring!

TO BE CONTINUED...
Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Updated thread to the best of my memory lol
Old 01-04-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice build! Subbed
Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks super slick man. Hopefully with my new schedule I'll make it out to some of the meets this coming season.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Recent Photos from BTM Graphix. Changes coming soon

Old 01-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

nice builds sir!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Looking reallly good!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Volk bronze on NFR looks so good!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome to see the progress. Those white Works looked great, but hard to beat those concave bronze TEs. That overhead shot is pretty sweet too. Something you don't see often. Do you have a favorite set of wheels from all the iterations? The RGIIs look good to.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by WidebodyEK
Awesome to see the progress. Those white Works looked great, but hard to beat those concave bronze TEs. That overhead shot is pretty sweet too. Something you don't see often. Do you have a favorite set of wheels from all the iterations? The RGIIs look good to.
Thanks!

Here is a list of wheels that were mounted on the car in chronological order:

RPF1
CE28
TRM C3
Work Meister
Advan RSII
Advan RG2
Volk TE37

The day I bought the car, it came with 17x8 17x9 RPF1. I loved the RPF1 due to the weight, clean look, and price. The thing was, this was my 4th set of RPF1 LOL. When I had my civic I had a set of SBC RPF1. My AP1 had a set of gold, custom teal, and silver RPF1. Sold all of them.

I saw a set of CE28 on a civic forum for super low so I decided to see how that would look. Unfortunately, it was chrome plated and didn't look that great. Sold them to PRBEAUTY. A lot of people know her from Instagram haha.

A local set of TRM C3 17x9 +62 came around with some 255/40 nitto tires. For the price I couldn't pass them up. I loved the fat tire but the wheel itself and tire was pretty heavy. Didn't have them for long.

The same year, I purchased some spoon calipers. I needed to find a set of wheels that would clear them and ended up buying the work meisters. I liked them but hated cleaning them everyday due to being a white wheel. They cleared the brakes with plenty of room still left. They are currently still for sale.

My next set was the Advan RSII which I regret selling. It was the rare indigo blue in Evasive spec. 17x10 +50 with 255/40 tires. Slight stretch but it looked pretty aggressive with a 10in wheel. Everybody complimented on how great it looked. I wished I kept them but I had to sell to fund the Te37s.

While I waited for the TE37s, I picked up a set of Advan RG2s that I used for a spare set. The specs were pretty aggressive at 17x8.5 +31 and 17x9.5 +35. These were pretty mint for a used set. Basically drove a maybe a 100 or 200 miles on them while I waited for my Volks. RG2s are for sale as well.

Now finally, my TE37s. I absolutely love them. The anodized finish and the 17x+9.5 +41 sizing with the concave look was just what I wanted. Super light as well, I couldn't believe it after holding them. I only put a few miles on them but so far I have gotten the most compliments about them. I would say this is my final set of wheels. Especially when I paid a shit ton of money of them. I don't think there is anything better. Maybe ZE40s but now I am talking nonsense =)

Quick Reply: NFRS2KNC *My Second S2000 Build* SOS/Voltex/ETC