Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Penguin's OEM+ Progress Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Penguin's OEM+ Progress Thread

Note: Notice I didn't call this a "Build Thread". My car is stock as hell compared to most here, so I didn't want to get your hopes up. With that said...

Hello all!

I’ve been dreaming of a S2000 since I was 14. I told myself I would go to college, buy a house, and get married before buying one. After finally checking all of those boxes by age 25, I pulled the trigger on my 2005 Silverstone. It was a locally owned 2-owner vehicle with 95k miles. It had an aftermarket intake and some Work lug nuts installed, but as you’ll see, those didn’t last long.

While I appreciate the highly modified and high horsepower S2000s, I prefer the OEM+ look for my vehicles. My last vehicle was a 2004 TL that I enjoyed immensely for 8 years.

I sold all of the aftermarket parts to local Acura owners and put those funds towards the S2000. I picked up the new toy on July 9, 2015, drove it 1.5 hours home, and of course had to give it a wash. Here are a few pictures the first day I drove it to work.

The first thing I bought for the car was an Alpine headunit. I ran the USB cord to the glovebox/storage area between the seats.

Then came a Covercraft sunshade. They’re built to order, so I actually ordered one about a month before I purchased my car. I highly recommend this thing.

Just a few stock as hell pictures… (spoiler: it’s still basically stock)

I honestly haven’t used it much, but I have the Modifry GoPro Mount.

Temporary garage-mate

I picked a used Greddy SE V1 from a good friend of mine and while I liked it, I never truly fell in love with it. I uninstalled it about a month ago.

Next came the OEM front lip, which I had a local shop put a clear bra on.

At the same time the lip was installed, I installed a powercoated valve cover that my Greddy friend had done for me. I did new spark plugs at the same time.

I then had a full paint correction performed. While my paint wasn’t in terrible shape, I’m a bit particular about it, and the difference was certainly noticeable.

And the finished result…

I typically only buy OEM parts, but I decided to give the highly coveted $80 eBay rear lip spoiler a shot and I’m really impressed. No complaints at all.

With the paint correction being complete, I attended my first S2ki meet.

Unlike the TL, I wanted to keep the S2000 drivable. I’m also an old man and wanted something comfortable, so I opted for Koni Yellows with a used set of Espelir springs. Love the combo!

This is where it sat directly after install, but the car would settle a bit more once I had the bushings relaxed and everything broke in.

One of my favorite pictures of my car…

Michelin PSS installed! They’re my first summer tire and I’m blown away. These have spoiled me.

Hanging with the locals…

Next up were the OEM Side Strakes. So damn expensive but worth it.

Installed!

I ruptured my bicep tendon in March and couldn’t drive the car for 2 months. I would back it out of the garage once a week and let it run for a bit to keep the battery alive. Once I was able to drive again, I bought an Alloy Craft Cooling Plate along with black Mishimoto Radiator Stays to match.

This past weekend I had my fenders rolled and installed spacers; 15mm front and 17mm rear. I’m really happy with the turnout.

And just a few pictures from the Charlotte Area S2k Meet from last weekend…

That’s all I have done for now. Of course I have more things planned but I’m in no rush. This car is a fuggin blast and I don’t plan on selling it anytime soon.

Thanks for looking!
The following users liked this post:
S1 S2 (07-15-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Woohoo!! My car made some pics....
Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely subbed.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice and subtle mods, I like it.
I wouldn't change anything tbh, or maybe just an oem hardtop for the colder days
Old 07-13-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinS2000

Thanks for looking!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Car looks great! Nothing wrong with stock
Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love that TL!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Already feels like I need another stock s2000 to just drive leisurely
Old 07-23-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Car looks great man. Kinda like seeing clean silverstone S2k's nowadays, and you sir have a good one.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jasserv
Woohoo!! My car made some pics....
Of course dude! Your house did too

Originally Posted by Dreaming_S2k
Definitely subbed.
It'll be a long time until mine looks as good as yours!

Originally Posted by Bubbels**
Very nice and subtle mods, I like it.
I wouldn't change anything tbh, or maybe just an oem hardtop for the colder days
Thank you! I love the look of the OEM hardtop but it's hard to justify the cost. Maybe one day

Originally Posted by arsenal

Originally Posted by Akkmednoseflem
Car looks great! Nothing wrong with stock
Thank you!

Originally Posted by yoyosupmang
I love that TL!
It was a great car!

Originally Posted by Dreaming_S2k
Already feels like I need another stock s2000 to just drive leisurely
You won't

Originally Posted by s2krxx
Car looks great man. Kinda like seeing clean silverstone S2k's nowadays, and you sir have a good one.
Thank you sir! Truly appreciated. Eventually I'll get a set of aftermarket wheels, but I'm enjoying the current look for now. I have some interior trim bits and new speakers to get before I do anything else exterior-wise.
The following users liked this post:
Dreaming_S2k (07-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Penguin's OEM+ Progress Thread